Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tasha90

acne sufferers are the strongest people I know

When things get difficult, it really makes me feel so much better to think about how strong we all are. Some people say that there are many more difficult things in life than acne...However, acne sufferers deal with all of those things (just as most people do), but with the added burden of acne! People who have never suffered from acne simply have no idea what it is like and it is so sad to think that so many of those people have zero appreciation for our strength. Instead, we are ridiculed, ignored, or pitied.

I never really knew who I admired before, but now I do. I admire us, I admire you. God, how strong we are really amazes me.

God, I know what you mean! Our collective strength, and collective modesty...!

Heh, sorry. Couldn't resist it. The last few lines, although heart-felt, were a little too sappy for me. But I agree with the idea.

God, I know what you mean! Our collective strength, and collective modesty...!

Heh, sorry. Couldn't resist it. The last few lines, although heart-felt, were a little too sappy for me. But I agree with the idea.

It think it makes so many people realize just how much they value their looks, mostly above all.

It makes us stronger in one sense to realize how burdens can be, but it is also a realization what babies we are when things don't go our way. Yes, acne sucks, I hate it, but people go through so much worse crap and why the hell are we complaining about it. Of course it is something to worry about and maybe express, but I think that sometimes it is time to stop acting like kindergartners and get outside and face life for what it is, messed up face or not. There are millions of diseases, disorders, infections that are much worse than what we have. It is a good thing to try to keep your face clean, but sometimes we make the issue much worse than it is. Many of the people here are good looking and complaining about a few pimples. How about the people born with genetic disorders with warped faces? Those people complain than some of the people here.

So yes, it does make us stronger, but it makes us realize the babies we really are

^^But see, that's exactly what undermines it all. You can't compare acne to something like cancer, because acne has its own, crushing burdens in its own right. By saying that there are worse things in life than acne, that is like saying that people with acne do not have any of the other problems. What I am saying is that we suffer so much of what other people suffer (cancer, death of loved ones, disease, depression, etc) ON TOP of acne...it's not like oh well because we have acne, acne is our only burden. Far from it! I am saying that not only do we live through everything else, but acne as well, which can be for some people EXTREMELY traumatic.

...Just my opinion though :)

yes, that is for sure that some people have acne + other things

I for instance right know have leg problems where i have sharp pains when I walk sometimes and tennis elbow (small tears in the tendon) in both elbows for the past year, and I have pain whenever I use my forearms. These are certainly things that made me stronger, made me realize how fortunate i am to have good health in areas such as lungs, bonesm heart, etc

The fact is though, many acne suffereres get some acne and think theyve been afflicted with the worst disease on the planet

Well it's not so much that we are stronger than others, because I am not so sure that I am strong because I still feel so much emotional pain, but it is the fact that we keep going, going, going, even if it is just waking up in the morning and nothing more. If someone is in such emotional pain that they feel that all they can do is wake up, that person is, in my eyes at least, worth my admiration more so than people who can't wait to wake up (I feel rather terrible that I am so annoyed with those people, but it's true...). I hope that makes sense.

How about the person who admits there are larger things to worry about than acne? I admire most the person who goes through extreme hardships and pain yet still sees the positives and is able to look past them, not concentate on themselves or their face, and get on with life.

How about the person who admits there are larger things to worry about than acne? I admire most the person who goes through extreme hardships and pain yet still sees the positives and is able to look past them, not concentate on themselves or their face, and get on with life.

Tasha, you are making totally valid points that have passed through my mind before. It's very well to say, 'Oh, at least we don't have this and that', but everything is relative and if a person is suffering from extreme acne, but trying to live their life in the best way they know how, I would not dare to say, 'Well, they're lucky, they don't have cancer'.

An obvious physical afflicition is hard to bear and people may be ignorant in their reactions to it. Skin conditions are still far less mediated than grand illnesses and disorders, so what we have to deal with feels like a taboo to a certain extent.

I admire all the org -ers too. Stoicism, determination and resilience are qualities that many of you possess. And I really hope that we can find solutions to our problems.

I agree with Tasha.

Also, this is an ACNE forum where people vent about ACNE. Yes, some people have worse things. I know that better than a lot of people, I have been throught things this year that no one should have to go through. But you know what? Yeah they were worse than acne, but my skin getting bad again didn't exactly help things.

I know someone described how some people are born with things that disfigure their faces- but you have to remeber than some people on this site have had acne so severe that their faces really have been disfigured. Even though my acne now is moderate- mild I had acne that was terribly severe for 4 years. I do know what it is like to really suffer from a disfigurement and I don't have a 'few pimples' I had boils and hard cysts all over my face. So if I want to vent, I think I am entitled to it.