Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
heyo

Mandelic Acid vs. Glycolic Acid vs. Differin

Which of those products do you believe to be the most effective in fighting closed and open comedones (whiteheads/blackheads)? Explain why you think it's the most effective or how it worked for you! This will help everyone to figure out a product that a majority of people to believe the most effective. Thanks!

Hello!

I'm relatively new to all this (but not to acne or comedones unfortunately) but I think irritation and skin tolerance might also be a factor to consider into the equation. I mean, something might be effective, but it also might be really irritating, so perhaps you'd not want to use it.

Paula's Choice BHA 2% (Glycolic) is excellent for blackheads and blemishes.

But Mandelic Acid would probably be a better choice for sensitive skin.

NuCelle 10% Madelic Acid Serum should be pretty good.

Is there an initial breakout or anything with Mandelic acid or Paulas choice? I have tried differin before and it actually made me break out in whiteheads on my forehead (a place where I have never experienced them before). Thanks for any info in the endless battle.

Also does anyone here use Differin and find it to be effective? It defintely helped on my cheeks but never did anything for my forehead.

I am using Mandelic acid and Differin. My skin is not sensitive, so I can tolerate both. I use mandelic 5% in the am and then differin at night. So at the moment, I am just getting through the last of the initial breakout. I truly think that in a few weeks my skin is going to be amazing. My chin is 100% clear and the blackheads om ny nose are disappearing. My checks have a few dying spots and my forehead is getting ready to peel. I think once it peels, things are going to be great.

I would attribute most of this to the differin. The mandelic I am just using as a supplement, it's only the 5% (some people use 10% or 15%).

I am using Mandelic acid and Differin. My skin is not sensitive, so I can tolerate both. I use mandelic 5% in the am and then differin at night. So at the moment, I am just getting through the last of the initial breakout. I truly think that in a few weeks my skin is going to be amazing. My chin is 100% clear and the blackheads om ny nose are disappearing. My checks have a few dying spots and my forehead is getting ready to peel. I think once it peels, things are going to be great.

I would attribute most of this to the differin. The mandelic I am just using as a supplement, it's only the 5% (some people use 10% or 15%).

My skin is very oily with mild to moderate acne/whiteheads mostly on my cheeks (although I can and do breakout all over my face) and blackheads on my nose. I don't get very many big pimples or cysts, mostly small and medium size. Plus in general I have a lot of those bumpy ones - closed comeodones I think they call them.

I started with the differin 5 weeks ago and the mandelic 3 weeks ago. I waited two weeks once I started the differin just to see what kind of effect it was going to have on my skin. I did not get red at all, or irritated, and did not have peeling, so after two weeks I added in the 5% mandelic in the am.

Been using MaMa Lotion's 10% Mandelic Acid (as I live in Scotland) for the past week, and have already had fantastic results: I had a large spattering of blackouts on either side of my nose (literally hundreds of them) and within roughly 5 days, I'd say about a third have disappeared... very impressed so far! Doesn't mean it will work for everyone of course, but I'd definitely recommend giving it a try (btw I have oily and sensitive skin and have not suffered any adverse effects so far, thankfully. Best of luck)

Bought some 30% and 50% glycolic acid, though not used them so far... I'm slightly apprehensive, will using both these products not have a detrimental effect?

Bought some 30% and 50% glycolic acid, though not used them so far... I'm slightly apprehensive, will using both these products not have a detrimental effect?

Been using MaMa Lotion's 10% Mandelic Acid (as I live in Scotland) for the past week, and have already had fantastic results: I had a large spattering of blackouts on either side of my nose (literally hundreds of them) and within roughly 5 days, I'd say about a third have disappeared... very impressed so far! Doesn't mean it will work for everyone of course, but I'd definitely recommend giving it a try (btw I have oily and sensitive skin and have not had any adverse effects so far, thankfully. Best of luck)

Eek... I assumed they were the standard concentration :shock: Ok now I AM apprehensive, in fact downright scared to use them at all lol. As expected there are instructions: they say to leave on for roughly 2-3 minutes, after having washed/cleansed the skin thoroughly etc. It also says to neutralize the acid by applying bicarbonate of soda, and that some scabbing or "sloughing" (?) may be expected though is generally rare. Where would you recommend I look for smaller concentrations? The place I found it seemed to one of the rather scarce ones that ship to the UK exclusively.

I really don't think you need to use more than one AHA at a time. Mandelic will exfoliate the surface of the skin as well as the pores.

If you want to switch to a different AHA for awhile, I recommend lactic acid rather than glycolic ..... more hydrating, less irritating. Diana Yvonne has good acids, and I think she ships to the UK. Her site is www.dianayvonne.com

Do you think that Mandelic acid could be as effective as a .1% differin gel at eradicating clogged pores? I know that the differin has been relatively effective for me (in certain areas) but seemed to not completely get rid of my problems and had a few side effects (redness, emergence of whiteheads in areas that were never a problem). But, I dont know if I stayed on the product long enough to see the full results only being on it about 2 1/2 months.

I really want to figure this out within the next week because I really want my clogged pores to be cleared or at least a lot better by the time college starts next year so I can finally enjoy football games and things outdoors with my friends which I would have been hesitant to do this year based on my appearance (such a stupid thing to hold you back from enjoying the college life).

Please let me know how Mandelic Acid has worked for you good or bad reactions, or if you have any other miracle products for these stubborn clogs let me know please! I really appreciate it and good luck to all of you in your struggle against acne!

For me, the differin is doing most of the clearing up of my face. The mandelic helps too, but if I had to choose only one product, it would be differin.

But...keep in mind that I am only using mandelic 5%. I think other people are using 10% or even 15%. (I just think that might be too strong for me.)

I think both are good products, which is probably why I'm using both!

Ugh, I wish I could just decide... I really want to be clear before next year because I'm going to be home all summer long. I'm so scared to try the differin because I know when I previously used it, I was in agony and it brought out a ton of whitheads whereas I usually have 1 or 2 on my forehead. So I had like 30, it was pretty depressing. Plus, I have been using benzaclin for the last 2 weeks and havent had one new whitehead anywhere on my face and a lot have dissapeared from my forehead. Should I just continue using that and maybe introduce a 10% mandelic acid rather than jumping back into a antibiotic like differin? I don't have bad acne by any means, I just get an occasional whitehead that eventually turns into a big pimple (I only get them in 2 areas of my face). The problem is they always seem to get worse during the summer (any ideas why?) Any advice would be great.

Ugh, I wish I could just decide... I really want to be clear before next year because I'm going to be home all summer long. I'm so scared to try the differin because I know when I previously used it, I was in agony and it brought out a ton of whitheads whereas I usually have 1 or 2 on my forehead. So I had like 30, it was pretty depressing. Plus, I have been using benzaclin for the last 2 weeks and havent had one new whitehead anywhere on my face and a lot have dissapeared from my forehead. Should I just continue using that and maybe introduce a 10% mandelic acid rather than jumping back into a antibiotic like differin? I don't have bad acne by any means, I just get an occasional whitehead that eventually turns into a big pimple (I only get them in 2 areas of my face). The problem is they always seem to get worse during the summer (any ideas why?) Any advice would be great.

The Paula's Choice BHA product is salicylic acid, not glycolic. It is actually extremely mild, and an excellent choice for sensitive skin. It is oil-soluble, so it penetrates and exfoliates the pores.

Glycolic acid exfoliates the surface of the skin .... it is good for red marks and can be an effective part of an acne regimen as well. It is extremely irritating, though, and needs to be used with caution.

Mandelic acid is partially oil-soluble; it exfoliates the pores AND surface of the skin, though it does not penetrate as deeply as salicylic acid. It is also anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial, which makes it an excellent anti-acne treatment.

Differin works like Retin A, Tazorac, and the OTC retinol products; it stimulates skin cell production and normalizes keratinization, so the dead skin cells shed properly instead of clumping together in your pores. Retinoids push the comedones out of your skin over the first few months that you use 'em; if you can tolerate a retinoid in combination with either salicylic or mandelic acid, that's a good way to go.

Lion Queen you mentioned that Mandelic acid is anti-bacterial, is Glycolic acid also anti bacterial?

Also is salicylic acid anti bacterial?

Because Mandelic is not as irritating as Glycolic does that mean its does not produce as much surface exfloitation as Glycolic?

Only Mandelic acid is antibacterial. Glycolic acid only provides surface exfoliation; mandelic and salicylic penetrates the pores and exfoliates the cells in them. Please correct me if I am wrong as I am a casual reader.

you are correct!

mandelic also provides some surface exfoliation ... not sure how it compares to glycolic.

you are correct!

mandelic also provides some surface exfoliation ... not sure how it compares to glycolic.

Yeee...that's the 2nd good (and correct) advice I gave for today. I'm getting better at this :D . :clap: