Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
outnumbered

More acne now then as a teenager

Hi all.

I am 33, mom to three boys, youngest which will be a year old next month, still nursing.

I had perfect skin as a child and in high school, I was one of the few lucky ones! If I got any at all, they were small and didn't last very long.

After my first son at the age of 23, nothing really changed. However, while pregnant with my second son, who is almost 3 years old, my nose became so red and shiny! For the first time since prom and my wedding I had to use a concealer! My nose is still always red and I get comments all the time about people thinking I have a cold! Argh!

Now it seems my acne is making up for being absent during my younger years. I am constantly breaking out on the left side of my face, close to my nose. That area is always red with the other side being a little red. It's around my mouth though that it hits me the most. I get those painful little ones on my lip line and I get bigger ones around my mouth! Right now I'm sporting three just below the corner of my mouth.

It's embarrassing and I haven't wanted to go out with my hubby because of it.

I've been reading all your posts and am going to change a few things in my diet. I don't eat a lot of bread, but we do eat pasta and rice in my house and I have a glass of orange juice every day. Here I'm thinking I'm doing my body real good when I might be doing my face a nightmare!

I did think it was curious that the redness near my nose but not my nose tip toned down and my bigger ones seemed to shrink after drinking some of my son's Juicy Juice Harvest Surprise. Maybe the full serving of veggies advertised in each glass helped?

I have my 15 year class reunion coming up in August and I'd like some clearer skin and I would really like my husbands eyes to stop roaming to my pimples every time we're face to face.

The red nose makes me think of rosacea; have you been to a dermatologist or a family physician for a diagnosis? I do suggest that.

In the interim please use warm or cool water when washing. Hot water is very irritating, can increase redness and inflammation, and is also drying to the skin.

Make sure you're using a gentle cleanser like Cetaphil Sensitive skin or Purpose, or Basic. You don't want to use one that's for 'acne-prone skin' or 'oily skin' as frequently those are just too harsh and drying and irritating.

Don't use a scrub, either! It may sound like a good idea, but the majority of over the counter scrubs are counterproductive (so to speak) as they actually tear small holes in the skin and cause increased breakouts AND they are also irritating and drying.

Until you discover if your redness is due to rosacea, there aren't really any topicals I'd recommend right now. You can implement all of the above suggestions for either rosacea skin, or acne skin.

The red nose makes me think of rosacea; have you been to a dermatologist or a family physician for a diagnosis? I do suggest that.

In the interim please use warm or cool water when washing. Hot water is very irritating, can increase redness and inflammation, and is also drying to the skin.

Make sure you're using a gentle cleanser like Cetaphil Sensitive skin or Purpose, or Basic. You don't want to use one that's for 'acne-prone skin' or 'oily skin' as frequently those are just too harsh and drying and irritating.

Don't use a scrub, either! It may sound like a good idea, but the majority of over the counter scrubs are counterproductive (so to speak) as they actually tear small holes in the skin and cause increased breakouts AND they are also irritating and drying.

Until you discover if your redness is due to rosacea, there aren't really any topicals I'd recommend right now. You can implement all of the above suggestions for either rosacea skin, or acne skin.

Thanks for your reply. If a dermatologist gives me a prescription for something, I won't take it. I avoid chemicals as much as possible.

Is there anything natural I can do? I copied/pasted the recipe another poster shared that involved honey, grated cucumber and an unfamiliar flour, and more. Will that help?

ETA - I mostly use Noxzema and a have a bar of soap from Melaleuca I use in the shower. Now and then I use a St. Ive's Apricot scrub, but it sounds like I should stop that.

I see the other board on the subject of rosacea. I'll visit there.

Check out nutrition and holistic health. Ice may help the redness but don't hold the ice on the skin for a long time, just run an ice cube over your skin gently until the cube melts, not holding the ice in any one place.

Thanks for your reply. If a dermatologist gives me a prescription for something, I won't take it. I avoid chemicals as much as possible.

Is there anything natural I can do? I copied/pasted the recipe another poster shared that involved honey, grated cucumber and an unfamiliar flour, and more. Will that help?

ETA - I mostly use Noxzema and a have a bar of soap from Melaleuca I use in the shower. Now and then I use a St. Ive's Apricot scrub, but it sounds like I should stop that.

I see the other board on the subject of rosacea. I'll visit there.

You wouldn't take anything oral, topical, or both? I know there are a couple of good topicals out there for rosacea, but if you're against that, then it's a moot point. If it is rosacea, I think certain foods can trigger that, like stuff with caffeine, red wine, etc. I'm sure the folks on that board will have more insight into that than me. Oh, and I'm not sure about how valid this is, but I heard a rumor a long time ago that Noxema contains formaldehyde in it. You may want to switch to one of the cleansers that Wynne suggested.

Try aloe vera gel, first of all. That's what I used to treat my rosacea after giving up on dermatologists and before my diet changes drastically reduced my problem. My face is never red anymore and I only occasionally, on hot humid days, get any rosacea spots. Of course I still use a concoction I mix with aloe as my main moisturizer so that could be a factor. Or you could try anything anti-inflammatory like green tea or sulfur. I also only use mild cleansers like cetaphil.

Start eating/supplementing more anti-inflammatory foods and cut back on inflammatory foods, the biggest ones being sugars and bad fats, which means processed foods. And try vitamin C which is an anti-histamine in addition to being anti-inflammatory.

Also, when I was first diagnosed with rosacea, I was given a list of foods to avoid, but I think those were on the list because they were common allergens. Anyway, it's something to look into.

And it can disfigure your nose ala W.C Fields and Bill Clinton, so do something.

Hi all.

I am 33, mom to three boys, youngest which will be a year old next month, still nursing.

I had perfect skin as a child and in high school, I was one of the few lucky ones! If I got any at all, they were small and didn't last very long.

After my first son at the age of 23, nothing really changed. However, while pregnant with my second son, who is almost 3 years old, my nose became so red and shiny! For the first time since prom and my wedding I had to use a concealer! My nose is still always red and I get comments all the time about people thinking I have a cold! Argh!

Now it seems my acne is making up for being absent during my younger years. I am constantly breaking out on the left side of my face, close to my nose. That area is always red with the other side being a little red. It's around my mouth though that it hits me the most. I get those painful little ones on my lip line and I get bigger ones around my mouth! Right now I'm sporting three just below the corner of my mouth.

It's embarrassing and I haven't wanted to go out with my hubby because of it.

I've been reading all your posts and am going to change a few things in my diet. I don't eat a lot of bread, but we do eat pasta and rice in my house and I have a glass of orange juice every day. Here I'm thinking I'm doing my body real good when I might be doing my face a nightmare!

I did think it was curious that the redness near my nose but not my nose tip toned down and my bigger ones seemed to shrink after drinking some of my son's Juicy Juice Harvest Surprise. Maybe the full serving of veggies advertised in each glass helped?

I have my 15 year class reunion coming up in August and I'd like some clearer skin and I would really like my husbands eyes to stop roaming to my pimples every time we're face to face.

It may have something to do with the fact you are still nursing - the hormones that are involved with pregnancy, child birth and nursing can often cause acne in adult women.