Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Miss Josette

Lowering my Carb intake

So I've been taking the PGX for over a week now, and there might be a slight improvement...but I've decided I would experiment with lessening my carb intake. I'm drowning myself in water to swallow these PGX pills and I don't mind doing it once a day, but doing it every time I eat is killing me. The problem is, I really need a book of some kind that I can use for lunch and dinner ideas at home because I don't have a lot of experience with cooking and I'm the kind of person that will eat the same thing over and over again as a result of it. I know I cannot do this if I try going low(er) carb. I won't be able to stick with it.

Can anyone reccommend a good low carb cook book? Preferrably one that also includes quicker meals and things that I could take to work, as I can't always spend a lot of time in the kitchen.

So I've been taking the PGX for over a week now, and there might be a slight improvement...but I've decided I would experiment with lessening my carb intake. I'm drowning myself in water to swallow these PGX pills and I don't mind doing it once a day, but doing it every time I eat is killing me. The problem is, I really need a book of some kind that I can use for lunch and dinner ideas at home because I don't have a lot of experience with cooking and I'm the kind of person that will eat the same thing over and over again as a result of it. I know I cannot do this if I try going low(er) carb. I won't be able to stick with it.

Can anyone reccommend a good low carb cook book? Preferrably one that also includes quicker meals and things that I could take to work, as I can't always spend a lot of time in the kitchen.

I actually don't eat out all that much, but when I'm at home, I'm usually about the easy to fix stuff.

I'll just feel better about this with a cook book or guide of some kind that I can have on hand. I can't explain it really, I'll just feel like I have more options.

Do you keep track of your carb intake? (Like about how many grams you've consumed throughout the day?) I would assume that would be helpful in knowing if I should lower it, or later on, if I can raise it.

If you're used to easy quick meals you're probably eating mostly processed foods and it does take some getting used to cooking your own meals. The best way to make it easier on yourself and to stick to the diet is planning. There are low-carb cook books but they aren't necessary. You can just look at any cook book and find the meat and vegetable recipes in it. The internet is also a great source of recipes.

Like someone was saying the majority of meals should center around meats and vegetables. Vegetables have an insignificant amount of carbs in them so you don't need to worry about counting carbs. If you intend to still eat some starchy food just keep it to a minimum. Have that food be a side dish rather than a main course. You can eat fruit but it should be limited to 1-2 pieces per day, and should be eaten with some fat like almond butter. Dairy is a good source of fat but also contains sugar, so it should be limited but not necessarily eliminated unless you have an intolerance to it. Grains/pastas/breads/cereals/rice should be eliminated or kept to a bare minimum obviously.

You have to experiment to see what type of meal system works for you. I've found some very easy meals to make are:

breakfast: eggs (many ways to make them, i usually fry or scramble), bacon

snacks: apple/celery w/ almond butter, avocados,

lunch: spinach & romaine salad w/ cucumbers, tomato, olives, and full-fat dressing (with chicken or beef on top)

dinner: meat dish (steak, pork, salmon, etc) + frozen veggies cooked in butter

I pan fry pretty much everything I cook including the eggs, bacon, meat, and frozen veggies. It's the easiest way to cook next to microwaving your food. The food is very satisfying and I've found that I don't get tired of eating the same things, so having a big variety isn't much of an issue.

Search online for a pizza recipe made with cauliflower, not wheat.

It's saved me from a few carb binges before.

fruitcocktail:

That was really helpful! Thanks.

I'm lactose intolerant and haven't had cheese or drank milk for several years. I've always used a milk substitute instead. I might get very, very small amounts of dairy occasionally, but that's about it.

When it comes to grains - pastas, breads, rice....I don't really eat any of those things. The only time I've eaten bread is when I've had one slice of multi-grain at my favorite restaurant. Once a week or once every two weeks. The cereal on the other hand....cereal is my absolute favorite thing to eat (only whole grain or oats), and I plan on trying to do this with the cereal as my one exception before giving it up. Which is why I wanted to be very careful with my lunches and dinners. It will be a lot easier for me to stick to this if I allow myself the cereal.

I already eat a lot of vegetables, and I'm actually not into too many fruits. I've had strange reactions (allergic?) to a couple of them in the past. I like apples and strawberries, and I like lemon juice (the all natural kind). That's about it. I don't eat apples or strawberries every day or even every other day (an apple once a day might be a good idea :)), but I do like my lemon juice. Before I started drinking it I was drinking nothing but water and that started getting old. I was thinking of trying green tea (without caffeine as I've been free of that for at least six years), but I don't know about the carb intake.

I haven't eaten red meat in quite a few years, but I think I might have to go back to it for the variety. I've always been a chicken/turkey/fish girl. Mostly chicken.

I've already switched my chicken over to skinless and have been eating it and vegetables for dinner at night. I've actually already noticed an improvement in my face, only two days in. The breakouts are drying up and shrinking and I'm a little less oily. The only carb source I've still been eating is the whole grain cereal (I've been taking the PGX with it and nothing else).

Do you go all organic for your meat/eggs? Is almond butter kind of like peanut butter? I've never had it. Do you know of any good organic salad dressing I can use for salads?

Do you go all organic for your meat/eggs? Is almond butter kind of like peanut butter? I've never had it. Do you know of any good organic salad dressing I can use for salads?

Where do you get free range meat? My chicken is all natural, but if I decide to try some beef, I definitely don't want any filled with hormones or antibiotics. There's a place near me where I should be able to find that. Hopefully. I live in a bigger city area.

Thanks for the reccommendations. I need something on my salad. I'm assuming I can pick up almond butter and extra virgin olive oil in an organic section of the food store?

I've decided I'm going to go the next few days without the cereal to see if that speeds up the improvement process. I suspect it will. The reason I'm going to go ahead and try it is that my skin seemed to look great when I woke up, and then got kind of oily/irritated looking a while after I ate the cereal.

I'll need breakfast ideas. I eat breakfast almost immediately after I get out of bed. I know I can try eggs...but I would love some other suggestions, too.

Got another question for you - what about items like raisins? I've been eating them once a day because I desperately need foods with fiber. I have, I guess, IBS - if I don't consume a lot of fiber, I have trouble. But there's the sugar content in those to consider....

You've been so much help! I really appreciate it.

It sounds like you are eating mostly lean meat which is a problem on a low carb diet. You need to be eating the majority of your calories from fat, not protein. Too much protein is taxing on your liver and kidneys and can be dangerous over the long term. Keep the skin on that chicken! It also makes the diet so much easier to stick to because it's very satisfying to eat lots of fat, not to mention great for your skin (fat soluble vitamins). The best kind of fats are animal fats (beef, pork, lamb, butter, lard, ghee) followed by fruit & nut fats (avocado, virgin coconut oil, almond butter, nuts in general). Try to avoid vegetable oils if you can.

I don't buy organic meat. I used to buy free-range eggs but we now buy 5 dozen at a time because it's cheaper and more convenient that way and free-range doesn't come in 5 dozen packs. Organic meat is just too expensive for me, I'm a college student and I eat meat 2-3 times a day so buying organic is just way outside my price range. If I could afford it I would totally go for it. I haven't noticed any bad effects from eating the non-organic meat.

Almond butter is actually becoming more popular these days so you may not need to go to a health food store for it. Just look next to the PB at your usual grocery store. I find it to be extremely tasty.

As far as salad dressing, I just use a full fat caesar dressing because thats what I like and that's what I will actually eat. I can't stand olive oil on salads. The canola oil in the caesar does concern me a little but it's such a small amount that I don't worry about it too much.

Raisins.. I would stay away. If you feel you need more fiber I have found that the ruffage in my salad plus the fatty dressing is more than enough to keep me regular. People always think fiber for regularity, but fat is actually the only thing proven to stimulate the bowels.

Oh an by the way, if the chicken you're buying is marketed as being "all natural" thats a crock. There are no regulations governing the use of the word "natural" on food labels so anyone can get away with putting it on there, unlike the term "organic" where they actually have very rigid guidelines they have to follow to put that on their label.

Oh an by the way, if the chicken you're buying is marketed as being "all natural" thats a crock. There are no regulations governing the use of the word "natural" on food labels so anyone can get away with putting it on there, unlike the term "organic" where they actually have very rigid guidelines they have to follow to put that on their label.

I don't really understand, I guess. What chicken do you eat that has skin on it and where do you buy it? Is it fried?

I love skin on my chicken and I would prefer to eat it with the skin, I've just always assumed it was bad.... For example, I was eating Tyson crispy chicken strips and nuggets. They're obviously fried. My skin has seemed to improve the last few days since cutting them both out of my diet.

I can see I really need help with this.

Regarding fat...to be honest, I probably don't get that much of it. It's not that I go out of my way to avoid high fat foods, the things I've eaten just usually isn't high in fat.

I don't really understand, I guess. What chicken do you eat that has skin on it and where do you buy it? Is it fried?

I love skin on my chicken and I would prefer to eat it with the skin, I've just always assumed it was bad.... For example, I was eating Tyson crispy chicken strips and nuggets. They're obviously fried. My skin has seemed to improve the last few days since cutting them both out of my diet.

I can see I really need help with this.

Regarding fat...to be honest, I probably don't get that much of it. It's not that I go out of my way to avoid high fat foods, the things I've eaten just usually isn't high in fat.

Poach salmon in a little broth, when nearly done, throw in handfuls of spinach to wilt. It only takes a few minutes.

And usually, I use water, chopped garlic and a few other spices rather than broth and stir in a little mustard when it's done to make a sauce.

Look into the book from whfoods.com. It's mostly a reference, but it tells you how to cook everything in the best way to preserve nutrients. And they are all quick.

Seriously? You must be buying nothing but chicken breast from the store. Just about every other form of chicken will still have the skin on it: drumsticks, wings, thighs, and whole chickens. Whole chickens are the way to go. They are usually cheaper /lb and you get all the extra fat for rendering and the bones to make broth with.

As I mentioned earlier, I hardly do any cooking, so I've never purchased and fixed a whole chicken. I don't even know how to cook it. I would have to have someone else show me. That might seem pathetic, but I've simply never spent a lot of time in the kitchen. :ninja: That's why I wanted a guide or cookbook, because I need to learn how to cook to do these things.

Question on the whole chicken - do you buy organic? Or do you just buy a whole chicken from any grocery store?

Seriously? You must be buying nothing but chicken breast from the store. Just about every other form of chicken will still have the skin on it: drumsticks, wings, thighs, and whole chickens. Whole chickens are the way to go. They are usually cheaper /lb and you get all the extra fat for rendering and the bones to make broth with.

As I mentioned earlier, I hardly do any cooking, so I've never purchased and fixed a whole chicken. I don't even know how to cook it. I would have to have someone else show me. That might seem pathetic, but I've simply never spent a lot of time in the kitchen. :ninja: That's why I wanted a guide or cookbook, because I need to learn how to cook to do these things.

Question on the whole chicken - do you buy organic? Or do you just buy a whole chicken from any grocery store?

As I mentioned earlier, I hardly do any cooking, so I've never purchased and fixed a whole chicken. I don't even know how to cook it. I would have to have someone else show me. That might seem pathetic, but I've simply never spent a lot of time in the kitchen.

I bought some chicken today. I decided to go with it cut up for now. Easier will be better for me since I'm a beginner. I plan on cooking it tomorrow after I get off of work.

I just opened up my almond butter today and I love the taste of it. Can anyone give me any good ideas on what to use it with?

I've been doing well with this. I bake my chicken and it turns out awesome... I need to learn some recipes or experiment with seasoning or lemon or something to add some flavor here and there, but I'm not nearly as hungry all the time like I was.

The almond butter rocks, but I would kind of like to get a jar of natural peanut butter, too. I love peanut butter and to my knowledge, I don't have a peanut allergy. I don't know how high in carbs it is though.

If anyone here is avoiding it for reasons other than their allergic, can they tell me why?

My skin certainly looks a lot better than it did before. I'm not clear, but I'm not nearly as far off. It continues show slight improvement every day, and this is even with eating my cereal every other morning with PGX.

I've been sticking with this, and I'm seeing a sort of up and down thing going on with my face. It will improve, and then I'll have a minor breakout. It's weird.

This is what I generally eat/drink:

Chicken (baked, grilled, roasted, skinless)

Vegetables

Strawberries (occasionally, not too often)

Lemonade (all lemon, nothing added)

Sunbutter (sunflower seed spread)

Almond Butter

Carrots (I eat these with the butters)

Salad + Salad Dressing

Cheerios (taken with PGX since they're high carb)

Almond Milk (unsweetened)

Bacon (with my salads)

Cinnamon (on my Cheerios)

Beef (very rarely)

I've traded the rice milk for almond milk because it's much lower carb. I'd like to add fish and turkey to the list eventually.

I saw an improvement in my face almost immediately after starting this, but right now it's not doing much. My face isn't bad by any means, just minor stuff. But it doesn't seem to be changing right now.

I've been sticking with this, and I'm seeing a sort of up and down thing going on with my face. It will improve, and then I'll have a minor breakout. It's weird.

This is what I generally eat/drink:

Chicken (baked, grilled, roasted, skinless)

Vegetables

Strawberries (occasionally, not too often)

Lemonade (all lemon, nothing added)

Sunbutter (sunflower seed spread)

Almond Butter

Carrots (I eat these with the butters)

Salad + Salad Dressing

Cheerios (taken with PGX since they're high carb)

Almond Milk (unsweetened)

Bacon (with my salads)

Cinnamon (on my Cheerios)

Beef (very rarely)

I've traded the rice milk for almond milk because it's much lower carb. I'd like to add fish and turkey to the list eventually.

I saw an improvement in my face almost immediately after starting this, but right now it's not doing much. My face isn't bad by any means, just minor stuff. But it doesn't seem to be changing right now.

I don't eat enough fruit on a regular basis for it to really effect me, unless I get rid of the lemonade. But then I only have water and almond milk to drink, and I enjoy the lemonade in the summer.

I traded almond butter for sunbutter because it tastes more like peanut butter to me, which I like. It's a nice snack for me in the afternoon if I need something. I can cut back on it, but I don't want to cut it out.

Red meat is something I can start eating more of. I don't eat any nuts whatsoever. I'll have to add up how many carbs I actually intake a day on average. It's more than fifty, but less than one hundred.

I know that if I take the Cheerios out I won't be able to stick with it. I look forward to eating a bowl too much as it's my favorite food next to chicken. I'll end up getting too frustrated and angry and I'll fall off the diet completely. Short term isn't a problem, but long term isn't feasible for me. I would repeatedly cave in and then feel guilty, and that just isn't something I can handle.

I need to keep a couple things I truly enjoy eating.