Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey, I'm new here. I am 25F with extremely oily skin and clogged pores, with some cystic acne flare-ups, mainly on the cheeks and some on the forehead that leave red marks. I quit smoking cigarettes three months ago, and the acne has gotten worse.

I want to start taking some vitamins/minerals to see if it makes a difference. I've been reading lots of posts in this forum and there is just so much info, I don't know where to start- I don't think I should take all of the things suggested for acne b/c there are so many. I was hoping some of you could point me in the right direction. Is there anything I can take to cut back on this oil?

I currently take a multi (Centrum Performance) and have been taking milk thistle for the past few days. I try to drink a cup or two of green tea a day and drink a lot of water. If you guys have any suggestions as to what else I should take, I would appreciate it!

Here is some background info if it helps:

I have always sort of suspected that I have blood sugar issues. My hands are shaky and shake more when I am hungry. I was slightly underweight as a child/teen but am at a normal weight now. I was tested for thyroid problems in high school and came back negative.

I don't know if I should take Chromium or if that would make my blood sugar even lower/make me more shaky. I do have a sweet tooth but try to limit it to one or two pieces of candy/chocolate/ice cream etc per day. I don't drink much milk, when I do it is skim milk (which after reading on this board I am going to cut out skim milk)

I have had severe allergies (or something that looks like allergies) but no one has ever been able to determine the cause. From the time I was 12 until as recently as two years ago (at 23) I have experienced angioedema (tissue swelling that is usually caused by allergies) in my eyes, ears and a few times ankles. I have also had many episodes of hives. For these things, I usually have to go to the emergency room as they are severe. Sometimes I go for years without anything happening, and other times I will have a few episodes in a short period of time.

I also had cellulitis (bacterial skin infection) in my knee when I was 13. It spread to the tissue and I had to have IV antibiotics for a week. This probably is not related, but I thought I would throw it out there just in case someone knows of any weird connection.

I didn't have problems with acne until I was 19 or 20. However, in high school I was on birth control pills, so this may have had something to do with it. I recently started taking birth control pills again.