Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mamita

Any tips on how to start eating meat?

This is not an acne question, but I know that a lot of vegetarians/vegans have started to eat meat and animal fats and that way gotten rid of or improved their acne. So, my flat mate is vegetarian. Some months ago she went to a naturopath, who told her to avoid dairy and refined carbs. Now she´s sicker than she was before, she´s having colds that won´t go away and four days ago a migraine started, she still has it. I´m trying to tell her that she needs animal protein and fat, which she took away almost completely (she eats less than an egg/day). I think it was a good decision to avoid refined carbs, but she should have replaced them with fat and protein, she´s lost a lot of weight. So, now that she sees that my skin has cleared and that I never get sick she´s beginning to understand that she needs more protein and fat, but still thinks meat/fish/chicken is disgusting.

I can´t believe what pain people are willing to go through just because they don´t like meat...

Does anyone have any ideas of how to get her started ? What meat is the less disgusting, and how do you prepare it to disguise it?

I would recommend stir frying thin slices of chicken/beef/pork with lots of vegetables and some soy sauce---chinese style. Rather than a huge slab of intimidating steak, the little shreds of pork wiill enter the mouth along with her accustomed vegetables. : )

And then she'll be like, "man...this is soo good. What's that new vegetable you put inside this stir fry? It's kind of chewy...but sooo juicy."

Then you will have succeeded!

I would recommend stir frying thin slices of chicken/beef/pork with lots of vegetables and some soy sauce---chinese style. Rather than a huge slab of intimidating steak, the little shreds of pork wiill enter the mouth along with her accustomed vegetables. : )

And then she'll be like, "man...this is soo good. What's that new vegetable you put inside this stir fry? It's kind of chewy...but sooo juicy."

I did a lot of research a few months ago about protein in various meats... and I have learned that eggs are the most superior protein of all --- above pork, chicken, beef, fish or cheese.

Meat actually is an incomplete protein, believe it or not, and it does not provide 1-2 amino acids (i forget their names) which must be provided by a ceretain source.

Eggs, on the other hand, contain 18 amino acid (there are 16 essential ones)... and the yolk is almost pure fat which the chick lives on while developing in the egg.

I dont know if this helps sheds light on the topic, but good luck!

go very slowly, and avoid red meat- I went back to meat after almost 16 years, wound up with kidney stones from red meat.

Meat actually is an incomplete protein, believe it or not, and it does not provide 1-2 amino acids (i forget their names) which must be provided by a ceretain source.

I did a lot of research a few months ago about protein in various meats... and I have learned that eggs are the most superior protein of all --- above pork, chicken, beef, fish or cheese.

Eggs, on the other hand, contain 18 amino acid (there are 16 essential ones)... and the yolk is almost pure fat which the chick lives on while developing in the egg.

I dont know if this helps sheds light on the topic, but good luck!

Do a little research on cholesterol and learn the facts. Dietary cholesterol has no affect on the cholesterol of the body. You can eat as many eggs as you want and they will not raise your cholesterol. It is a complete myth, so get over it and go eat some eggs!!!

I have found a good way to incorporate meat would be to cook it in something she does like. I don't eat slabs of meat lol but I do like bits of it in salads, soups, stews, sandwiches, stir-fry, with tomato sauce, marinated, etc. So I would basically load up on the fresh veggies in all the above, then just cut smaller, thinner slices of mostly chicken, add it into my dish, then eat it like that. In this way, the bite-sized pieces of meat add a little flavor to the rest of the ingredients, but the meat is not the main ingredient. Also, make sure she is taking good supplements. That's very sweet of you to help her figure it all out. Good luck and I hope she feels better!

Do a little research on cholesterol and learn the facts. Dietary cholesterol has no affect on the cholesterol of the body. You can eat as many eggs as you want and they will not raise your cholesterol. It is a complete myth, so get over it and go eat some eggs!!!

Thanks John!

I already gave here a piece of omelette fried in lard. She liked it. I will try this but I´m sure she will notice. Anyway, since she´s recognising that she needs to eat meat I will give her this tip. Maybe she will get over her fears! :dance:

Thanks John!

I already gave here a piece of omelette fried in lard. She liked it. I will try this but I´m sure she will notice. Anyway, since she´s recognising that she needs to eat meat I will give her this tip. Maybe she will get over her fears! :dance:

If she is a vegetarian, respect her decision. I dunno if it occured to you but some people are vegetarian for animal welfare reasons, like me. Perhaps you ought to ask her to explain this for you cause you don't seem to get it..

I am a vegetarian and have been pretty successful clearing my skin up, but only when I am putting in the effort to do so by eating a proper diet. If she doesn't eat meat, then don't try to force her to. You can get protein and fat from non-animal things like almonds, walnuts, oils (olive oil is a great one), spinach, bananas, etc. I bet you 100% she isn't eating a right variety of vegetables and fruits, she needs to read up on vegetarian healthy eating. Also, you have to eat a lot more of these kinds of foods, or a combination of many, to get the right amount of iron/proteins/fats.

I just really hate it when people feel they need to resort to eating meat again simply because they don't want to make the effort to balance their diet properly. If somebody sees an improvement in their health problems after putting meat back into their diet, then that's a sign that their diet was flawed in the first place.

This is not an acne question, but I know that a lot of vegetarians/vegans have started to eat meat and animal fats and that way gotten rid of or improved their acne. So, my flat mate is vegetarian. Some months ago she went to a naturopath, who told her to avoid dairy and refined carbs. Now she´s sicker than she was before, she´s having colds that won´t go away and four days ago a migraine started, she still has it. I´m trying to tell her that she needs animal protein and fat, which she took away almost completely (she eats less than an egg/day). I think it was a good decision to avoid refined carbs, but she should have replaced them with fat and protein, she´s lost a lot of weight. So, now that she sees that my skin has cleared and that I never get sick she´s beginning to understand that she needs more protein and fat, but still thinks meat/fish/chicken is disgusting.

I can´t believe what pain people are willing to go through just because they don´t like meat...

Does anyone have any ideas of how to get her started ? What meat is the less disgusting, and how do you prepare it to disguise it?

Wow.

Although your intentions are 'somewhat' good, you're a douchebag

Leave your friends diet alone :D

If she is a vegetarian, respect her decision. I dunno if it occured to you but some people are vegetarian for animal welfare reasons, like me. Perhaps you ought to ask her to explain this for you cause you don't seem to get it..

I am a vegetarian and have been pretty successful clearing my skin up, but only when I am putting in the effort to do so by eating a proper diet. If she doesn't eat meat, then don't try to force her to. You can get protein and fat from non-animal things like almonds, walnuts, oils (olive oil is a great one), spinach, bananas, etc. I bet you 100% she isn't eating a right variety of vegetables and fruits, she needs to read up on vegetarian healthy eating. Also, you have to eat a lot more of these kinds of foods, or a combination of many, to get the right amount of iron/proteins/fats.

I just really hate it when people feel they need to resort to eating meat again simply because they don't want to make the effort to balance their diet properly. If somebody sees an improvement in their health problems after putting meat back into their diet, then that's a sign that their diet was flawed in the first place.

I have found a good way to incorporate meat would be to cook it in something she does like. I don't eat slabs of meat lol but I do like bits of it in salads, soups, stews, sandwiches, stir-fry, with tomato sauce, marinated, etc. So I would basically load up on the fresh veggies in all the above, then just cut smaller, thinner slices of mostly chicken, add it into my dish, then eat it like that. In this way, the bite-sized pieces of meat add a little flavor to the rest of the ingredients, but the meat is not the main ingredient. Also, make sure she is taking good supplements. That's very sweet of you to help her figure it all out. Good luck and I hope she feels better!

This is what she´s eating:

Tofu

Tempeh

Nuts

Seeds

Olive oil

Sesamy oil

Lentils

Beans

Chick peas

Vegetables

Fruit

Brown rice

Pasta (brown)

Soy milk

Rice milk

Almond milk

All of these very varied e.g. red beans, white beans, black beans, black eyed beans etc.. just within the bean group. What I cannot see in this diet, amongst other are: animal protein, animal fats, vitamin D, B-vitamins, zink, calcium. Since those are very important for the immune system and she´s getting sick a lot after following the advice to avoid dairy it might have a connection, don´t you think? Also, I don´t think she needs to read up on a vegetarian diet, she´s written several cook books. She needs animal protein/fat.

Thanks John!

Thanks John!

As a vegetarian myself I think what you are doing is COMPLETLEY IMMORAL and frankly repulsive. I can see you have good intentions, but decieving your friend into eating things she is uncomfortable with is WRONG.

If a friend ever did that to me I would simply disown them. Words fail me as to how obnoxious it is.

If your friend wants to be a vegetarian or a vegan that is HER business. NOT YOURS.

If she is feeling ill and not managing her diet well enough then she should see a doctor or a nutritionist who can recommend ways of improving her diet in vegan friendly ways, or recommend supplements for her to be take.

There are buddhist monks who live exceptionally healthy lives being vegan. IT DOES NOT MAKE YOU ILL. It is just something you have to be careful and sensible about, and yes, it does take more working out than eating an omnivore diet.

Please get over yourself!

End of rant.

I will add in a possible apology here as your post is a bit ambiguous - does your friend actually WANT to stop being vegetarian and you are helping her, or are you tricking her into it in the hope she will "see the light" of the omnivore diet?

If its the former then I apologise profusely.

This is what she´s eating:

Tofu

Tempeh

Nuts

Seeds

Olive oil

Sesamy oil

Lentils

Beans

Chick peas

Vegetables

Fruit

Brown rice

Pasta (brown)

Soy milk

Rice milk

Almond milk

All of these very varied e.g. red beans, white beans, black beans, black eyed beans etc.. just within the bean group. What I cannot see in this diet, amongst other are: animal protein, animal fats, vitamin D, B-vitamins, zink, calcium. Since those are very important for the immune system and she´s getting sick a lot after following the advice to avoid dairy it might have a connection, don´t you think? Also, I don´t think she needs to read up on a vegetarian diet, she´s written several cook books. She needs animal protein/fat.

Thank you for the graceful acceptance of the apology..

However, I will still further unenamour myself to you! lol.

A person does not need ANIMAL fats and ANIMAL proteins, they need fats and proteins. Meats are just one specific source for these things.

For example, avacados are a much better source of fat than meat. Same with pumpkin seeds, walnuts...etc...etc...

Protein you get huge amounts of through things like tofu and pulses like lentils and chickpeas.

Calcium you can get through fortified soy milk (I love alpro light which is also fortified) and a number of breakfast cereals.

Stuff like zinc....er...actually meat isn't a very good source for those things! They come from vegetables, green leafy veg is supposed to be good sources of iron, basically you have to mix the different coloured vegetables to get the rounded benefits.

It sounds like your friend is perhaps not varying her diet enough, or maybe should get checked out for food allergies?

Thank you for the graceful acceptance of the apology..

However, I will still further unenamour myself to you! lol.

A person does not need ANIMAL fats and ANIMAL proteins, they need fats and proteins. Meats are just one specific source for these things.

For example, avacados are a much better source of fat than meat. Same with pumpkin seeds, walnuts...etc...etc...

Protein you get huge amounts of through things like tofu and pulses like lentils and chickpeas.

Calcium you can get through fortified soy milk (I love alpro light which is also fortified) and a number of breakfast cereals.

Stuff like zinc....er...actually meat isn't a very good source for those things! They come from vegetables, green leafy veg is supposed to be good sources of iron, basically you have to mix the different coloured vegetables to get the rounded benefits.

It sounds like your friend is perhaps not varying her diet enough, or maybe should get checked out for food allergies?

Sorry I haven't read this entire post (its 3am here!) so what I'm going to say may already have been covered but...

I think your friend just needs to do more research into the vegetarian diet. She probably lost weight and got ill because she didn't know what she was doing. Millions of people around the world are vegetarian... nearly the whole of india is vegetarian and the average life expectancy there is 88. Asian countries, especially those that adopt a hindu or buddhist philosophy are generally much healthier than here in the western world. It's only recently, since the western diet (especially mcdonalds!) has been introduced there, that they're becoming unheathier. Vegetarians and vegans have a 40% less chance of developing cancer and in fact the average veg lives 4 years longer than the average meat eater.

I've read a lot about nutrition, including the most comprehensive study on nutrition conducted a few years ago. You may want to read it yourself. It's called 'The China Study' and is a completely unbiased report on nutrition.

Those that assume the veg diet is unhealthy are just basing this on 'common sense' but if they were to do the research they would soon discover that the veg diet can be extremely healthy when done right.

All these facts are only true if you are eating a balanced and healthy veg diet. You need to include a wide range of foods such as nuts, seeds, wholegrains, beans and fruit and veg of course. You need to figure out where to get your omega 3 and fatty acids (flaxseed/linseed hemp or from various nuts).

Animal products actually have little nutritional value. The proteins you mention are a common misconception... we've been taught to believe we need meat but this just isn't the case (Indians have been surviving for centuries without it). It's almost unheard of to be deficient in protein as it's found in almost every food. It's especially abundant in nuts, seeds, beans, wholegrains etc. Protein is protein... you don't need 'animal' protein. In fact, animal products have too much protein in... this excess leaches calcium from our bones and can lead to conditions like osteoperosis. What are you taught to consume for calcium? Milk right? Again, wrong... milk has too much animal protein in which again, leaches calcium from the bones, even though it does contain calcium, it's of little use with the added protein. Good sources of calcium are walnuts, hazlenuts, broccoli and grean leafy vegetables. Also, the bloating you mention from things like beans only occurs when your body isn't used to them. Just like the fact that beans can cause gas... I'll freely admit this happened to me at first but when I got used to them and ate them on a regular basis it dissapeared and now I can eat as much as I like with no problems.

Animal products have been proved to increase the risk of diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, bowel cancer, colon cancer, high cholesterol... the list goes on.

I could go on but my point is... people can thrive on veg diets so all your friend needs to do is research. I'm not telling anyone to stop eating meat but please, before attacking the vegetarian diet, do some actual research. I find it hard to believe that you've done so already because if you had, you would not be saying the things you are. It seems like you're just going by your own common sense and unfortunately it's not based on truth. I will admit my common sense has also failed me a number of times which is why I will never say I know something until I research and read about it. Please just read up on the vegetarian diet so you can better equip yourself. The China Study which I mentioned earlier is a great starting point.