Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mans

Can supplements be bad?

Okay guys sorry bout this but I'm isolating my regime right now. I need facts from people who are in the know :)

Can Zinc and B complex in any way make acne worse?

Is it even possible?

Thanks. I appreciate it

Yes, taking these supplements both worsened my acne. It benefits some people, but it definitely made it worse in my case.

I tried 3 different types of zinc before I found one that didn't make my skin oily which was strange. Could be coincidence though. Only Zinc glucomate or w/e worked for me.

When I was taking zinc in 50 mg, I consistently broke out. The breakouts stopped when I stopped taking zinc. My theory is that if your acne is caused by certain triggers (wheat, bananas, high sugar drinks) taking supplementation will not do too much good. The importance is limiting the trigger foods....And I'm personally very sensitive to supplementation.....

Zinc is an essential mineral. You can't break out from it. If you see a correlation, it is not causation. Most mineral/vitamin supplement takes weeks to kick in. So even if you notice a negative effect, it will not happen for a while, and till then, the cause was from your current or previous state.

It will be to your loss if you omit it from your diet and more than likely hurt you since it is so important to a human body in relation to skin, why deplete yourself of it purposely?

That's where we might disagree. I took zinc for 8 weeks.

I'm sure i get sufficient zinc from my food. Just because it is essential, it does not mean supplementation is necessary and that supplementation of zinc can benefit you. As I constantly stated, the delicate antioxidant system is not to be tampered with. There are so many interactions that must be met through balanced interaction. If you throw something off balance, acne WILL manifest itself. That's why I'm strongly against too much supplementation if you have a solid diet. You seem to have struck a good balance with your supplementation and experimentation., and I respect that. But personally, I find that zinc breaks me out instantly and it is from my own experience, causation. Just as high sugar throws off one's system instantly, manifested in symptoms like acne and fatigue, supplementation of zinc throws off my antioxidant balance. That's just what i feell.

That's where we might disagree. I took zinc for 8 weeks.

I'm sure i get sufficient zinc from my food. Just because it is essential, it does not mean supplementation is necessary and that supplementation of zinc can benefit you. As I constantly stated, the delicate antioxidant system is not to be tampered with. There are so many interactions that must be met through balanced interaction. If you throw something off balance, acne WILL manifest itself. That's why I'm strongly against too much supplementation if you have a solid diet. You seem to have struck a good balance with your supplementation and experimentation., and I respect that. But personally, I find that zinc breaks me out instantly and it is from my own experience, causation. Just as high sugar throws off your system, zinc throws off my antioxidant balance. That's just what i feell.

btw, I don't mean that zinc breaks me out, per se. I'm saying that zinc supplementation breaks me out. In fact, any sort of supplementation just doesn't work for me that well.

I eat lots of collard greens, spinach, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, lamb, and mushrooms.... :dance:

good stuff!

Anyhow, I'm glad you are clear. I, too, have followed your progress.

btw, I don't mean that zinc breaks me out, per se. I'm saying that zinc supplementation breaks me out. In fact, any sort of supplementation just doesn't work for me that well.

I eat lots of collard greens, spinach, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, lamb, and mushrooms.... :dance:

good stuff!

Anyhow, I'm glad you are clear. I, too, have followed your progress.

No worries! i've been clear for 3-4 months! only invisible comedones once in awhile. I'm just undergoing an experimentation phase right now.

No worries! i've been clear for 3-4 months! only invisible comedones once in awhile. I'm just undergoing an experimentation phase right now.

I think that, in some cases, these breakouts from zinc are just initial. I too broke out when I started taking zinc on three separate occasions. Two out of those three times I stuck with it, and the break outs subsided about a month after they started. I rationalize my experiences as follows:

First realize that zinc is known to enhance the immune system, at least according to every source that I've found. We know that acne is an immune response to bacteria invading clogged pores, so when we take something like zinc, the enhanced immune system becomes more sensitive to the presence of bacteria, and attacks more fiercely. Therefore, clogged pores with some bacteria that would have normally flown under your immune system's radar become targetted when the immune system is enhanced. You'll also probably have a stronger immune response to each targetted pore, possibly leading to a worse looking spot than usual.

Once everything stabilizes, the initial breakout ends, and you have less clogged pores. The immune system also picks off more nascent spots before they become a bigger problem, and the overall severity of acne is reduced.

That's just a thought on the immunological action of zinc. Of course, it's supposed to do other stuff too, but I think it's the action on the immune system that causes an initial breakout. Same goes for anything else that enhances the immune system. For example, people, including myself, sometimes notice an initial breakout from taking Vitamin C.

hmmm thanks guys! i am going to stop taking supplements starting today. just a course of elimination really. it might be that im over supplementing. i'll let you know how it goes. cheeers

hmmm thanks guys! i am going to stop taking supplements starting today. just a course of elimination really. it might be that im over supplementing. i'll let you know how it goes. cheeers

well ive been totally clear w/o zinc and b complex. 2 months ago... oh how things change. from perfect skin to acne everywhere.

well ive been totally clear w/o zinc and b complex. 2 months ago... oh how things change. from perfect skin to acne everywhere.

How do you guys figure out what exactly is breaking you out?

I mean, im not breaking out anymore but i havent been on my diet for that long. So I think its a good sign, but when my supplements starts to kick in, and IF I break out. How on earth would I know which one of them is causing it?

I think I really need to take some kind of food test, so I can figure out what stuff im really allergic to.