Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sman7

Alpha Hydrox Regimen by sman7

INTRODUCTION

I've been an avid reader of the message board for a month or two. I did however did the Dan Kern regimen and it works really well. It takes dedication and patience and the right tools. I've used On The Spot treatment by Neutrogena. Cetaphil daily facial wash and gentle skin moisterizer. It was great for two months.

After the second month, I decided to leave the regimen for a new regimen by Alpha Hydrox. My routine consist of Alpha Hydrox product. Daytime: Alpha Hydrox Face foaming wash, Alpha Hydrox enhanced lotion 10% AHA, then Neutrogena sunscreen spf 70. Night time: Alpha Hydrox foaming face wash, Night Retinol ResQ. It was expected to see signs of purging. So I have some here and there. What I didn't expect was the tighting of the pores after the purging period.

I guess it comes down to what methodolgy people want to use. Why did I leave DK regimen? There's a couple of thoughts.

1. DK Regimen took a very long time from start to finish. I mean I wash my face gently, carefully and thoroughly. Then I wait five or six minutes for my face to dry. Then I apply on the spot neutrogena on for five minutes. Then I'd wait at least 10 minutes because of the amount of BP was recommended. Then, I apply moisterizer by Cetaphil and wait around 10 minutes for it to dry. For a month, it was just too time consuming.

2. I have the DK treatment pump. I have to say that two pumps is a lot more than the two fingers of Neutrogena On The Spot.

3. Organic Peroxide versus Fruits, Explosive ingredients versus Natural ingredients. In chemistry, Benzoyl Peroxide is a derivative of Organic Peroxide which at pure level can be toxic and explosive. Alpha Hydroxy Acid aka Gycolic Acid are derived from fruits. (http://www2.dupont.com/Glycolic_Acid/en_US/)

I then read up on the Alpha Hydroxy Acid articles on the internet and its wonders. It's really eye opening and interesting. I thought about what am I trying to achieve: Why take a chance of an already cleared face to Alpha Hydrox regimen with a threat of a purging period.

My reasons are followed below:

1. I wanted to really clean the foundation of my skin. My purging period was something to witness. Even though I only suffer a mild form of acne, I was amazed to see how many pimples were waiting to meet the surface of my skin.

2. After the purging period, I always knew that my right side cheek was the most problematic area since I sleep on that side, but I got never get rid of the "root" of the acne. After several treatments of the AHA regimen, the "root" has surfaced and the remanent slowly fading away. Ironically, it's the only big pimple I have on my face. For the first time in a long time, my right side is finally clearing up.

3. I believe that AHA regimen will give me the clean skin foundation which in my opinion is a better way to clear acne. It's of like starting over with a newer skin rather than continuing an ongoing battle with acne using BP.

4. It has to get worst before it gets better. it's an old cliche' but what the heck, it's always true. We cannot dictate the direction of how biology should cure its ailment.

5. Mentally and emotionally...I am fine with living with acne. As a youngster, I used to be self conscience about my image. It took a lot of opportunities away from me especially in high school such as dating, going to prom, hanging out. Those days are in the past and will not be part of the future. What I've learned is that people are not always judgemental on how well the skin is. What I've gathered is that even if I have acne (which I do), they rather see me doing something about it and live rather than hearing me complain about it. Clear skin is the reward of people who help themselves. It's either you do something or you don't. Very simple as that.

6. No matter what, keep on doing it. Success is rather like building a pipe dream. The pipe doesn't get built in a day nor did the great pyramid in Ancient Egypt. It's a culmination of dedication and educated guess. Educated guess is not only about reading great reviews of certain products, but a good understanding of the methodology is used in certain treatment.

Thursday April 24, 2008 (approximately two weeks of AHA Regimen)

Daytime:

1. Alpha Hydrox Foaming Face Wash

2. Alpha Hydrox Enhanced Lotion 10% Gycolic Acid

3. Neutrogena Sunscreen

Nighttime

1. Alpha Hydrox Foaming Face Wash

2. Alpha Hydrox Retinol ResQ

Observation:

1. Applying AHA regimen doesn't burn or sting at this point.

2. While applying the enhanced lotion, a layer of dead skin being rubbed off can be felt by touch of my fingertip.

3. A big pimple or the "root" forming whitehead on my right cheek.

4. Purging period is slowing down as the pimples are being reduced.

5. Skin is becoming much smoother and soft to touch.

6. However, washing my face I could feel some dry patches on the acne prone section of my cheeks.

7. Noticeably, my enlarged pores have been downgraded to pores that can be seen with a hand mirror rather than just standing in front of the wall mirror.

8. Sunscreen definately helps secure the fresh layer of new skin from being damaged easily by the sun.

Wow, good luck to your AHA regimen. Sounds interesting!

I want to let go off the DKR too one day once my face clears out and go back into my old routine because you're right, it's quite time consuming I find. Although it doesn't concerns me much about how much time I spent in the morning just to apply what is needed right now but I gotta schedule properly just in case school starts again.

April 25, 2008

This morning, I washed my face...noticed something really interesting

1. Pore are becoming tighter and almost non-existence in certain area of my cheeks.

2. I know that with BP, the pores would have taken forever to reach this stage.

3. My one big pimple or as I call it the "root" has really formed into a whitehead and bulging in size.

4. However with a application of enhanced lotion, the pimple seems to subside a little.

5. It's the last significant pimple on my face.

6. Applying sunscreen because it's really sunny outside.

April 25, 2008

Observation

1. The biggest and the only pimple on my face had burst.

2. I waited all day and all night, until it was the right time to help it to burst.

3. I held my face toward a hot/warm shower and felt the circulation in my face.

4. Gently squeeze it, and it was done.

5. Applying Alpha Hydrox Retinol ResQ, the redmark seems to fade very quickly in a matter of hours.

April 29, 2008

OBSERVATIONS

1. My face had a bout with a couple of pimples of minor scale.

2. The last major pimple is clearly being healed at the moment.

3. I didn't realize how powerful AHA is it dramatically reduces the pimple in a few hours.

4. Purging is up this week around my nose and my chin.

5. Pores are a lot cleaner and being reduced in size thanks to Retinol ResQ

6. Using sunscreen prolongs the life of the fresh new skin

7. I'll start posting pictures in the near future.

April 29, 2008

Observation

1. You know how people say you don't really see results until after a couple of weeks? My skin has become super soft and super smooth even visually it doesn't make sense that it should be smooth and soft at this point. I could use a kiss on the cheek (of course from ladies only)

2. I could never achieve this softness and smoothness with BP in my experience. It was always flaky and shedding skins as if every season was spring.

3. For several years, I've learned not to pick on my pimples and rather let them subdue without any personal interaction with them. Some people might be grossed out by a major pimple, but the keyword is some people. For most people, they do not generally care about acne. They care about the high gas price at the moment.

4. My pores are a lot cleaner despite that I have some whitehead on my chin. They're rather small.

5. I've learned several months ago that sleep is a major issue regarding acne. If you're averaging five to four hours of sleep a day, how can you expect to have clear skin if you don't give your body a fighting chance to rid itself of acne? Hint: Sleep gets rid of stress which triggers acne.

May 2, 2008

My Rules of Clear Skin (on things you can control)

1. Sleep enough (8 hours, some supermodel goes as far as 10 to 12 hours due to the fact their skin is their livelihood)

2. Stress reduction. Normal load of stress is necessary for life to function, but an overload of stress is abnormal. A regular excercise schedule fixes this problem. Walking to class, doing some work out at the school's gym.

3. For adults, have fun and don't think about your skin throughout the day. Life is much too short to be worrying about several pimples. Yes people will stare, but how long will they stare? Life is too short to be worried by someones comments.

4. Even if the regimen goes wrong, people make mistakes once in a while, so will regimen. You have to give the regimen every chance to work for you as much as you learn from your mistakes in life. No regimen is perfect. The correct attitude is consistent and persistent and keep going at it. Success in the long term outweights success in a short term.

5. Understand how the regimen works and why. Sometimes people expect certain medicine to miraculously cure their acne without asking why. Every acne medicine has its own methodology. Why is this important? If your regimen goes wrong, you can quickly diagnose the problem correctly and effectively and not change your regimen. Especially BP methodology, if you don't exfoliate in some way, you will have inevitable breakout. BP dries out the skin, each time skin flakes, it has the potential to clog pores.

6. Research on products you want to use before putting this on your face. Face is the first thing people look at, it wouldn't hurt to do some research on what it is and how it works. Customer reviews has no value because it's not your face. I expected purging after reading the Alpha Hydroxy Acid and its methodology.

7. Don't give your skin a break from a regimen even if it's clear. No one likes to change the oil in the car, but someone has to do it so you can go to work or school or wherever that might be. We all even the supermodel still do maintenance work on their skin to keep it in top notch.

How much does this cost you in total, and how long do the products last you? I REALLY want to try this, but I live in the U.K so I'll have to have it shipped over here aswell.

Thanks

EDIT: I can get this stuff off Ebay U.K, but it'll cost around £35/£40 for everything, how long do the products last before I need to buy more, because that's only thing stopping me buying them right now?

Thomas,

Why don't you buy it straight from the Alpha Hydrox company, Neoteric Cosmetics?

http://www.neotericcosmetics.com instead of ebay?

It's almost a month by now and I don't use sparingly for the purpose to stretch the supply I mean full potential means full application right.

I use normal amount of AHA lotion just to cover my face and so. My face isn't caked on with lots of lotion by the way. Maybe a teaspoon worth or a little more. Let it dry for couple minutes.

I looked at my bottle and it looks like it'll last 3 to 4 months per bottle. I recently bought the 12 percent scouffle which is absolutely fabulous because it contains green tea for collagen redevelopment purpose. Even though it's 1.6 ounce, the consistency is really really thick. Some people have made it last six months. Alpha Hydrox recommends sheer application which means thin film of lotion or scouffle.

I hope this helps. Foaming Face Wash is a must. It's so well rounded in terms of the aftermath. No intense drying. It's so well ph balanced. In my opinion better than Cetaphil products hands down.

About 40 US dollars for 3 to 4 months supply, some people stretch it to six months.

May 5, 2008

1. Today is the day I have no pimples on my face by method of Alpha Hydroxy Acid Method. The purging period may have been longer than expected, but it is so well worth it. My right side hasn't looked better in years since now.

2. My skin renewal is processing at a faster rate with the aid of sunscreen. Without sunscreen, the skin becomes easily damaged.

3. I am thinking about reintegrating BP back into my process. I am not sure yet. I am convinced that Alpha Hydroxy Acid is still effective as BP

Treating Acne: Two Different Acid Peels Are Both Effective, Study Finds by Science Daily

Both Alpha Hydroxy Acid and Beta Hydroxy Acid by News Medical

4. Pores are becoming a lot cleaner and at the same time, skin is becoming smoother and softer.

5. It has been about a month of not using BP at all. Of course if you read my blog, I started off with a clear face from DK regimen.

Why change if it is working? BP is a good spot treatment, but why use all over your face if you are clear?

Hi sman7,

I have a question about your purging.

I tried the soufflee and after about 2 weeks, I noticed some purging then I added the retinol and I started breaking out with cystic acne (the kind that takes weeks to go away). I had a very similar reaction to when I tried a prescription retinoid.

The purging I got from the souflee alone looked like a normal purge (with stuff just coming out) but the retinol really ruined things. Was your purge similar? Thanks.

jdruler: Yes my experience of purging of using Alpha Hydrox products are similar to yours. Anyhow, now I don't have pimple, just little enlarged pores in certain areas. I must say that AHA reduces future pimple about the same rate as BP. Amazing.

Retinol ResQ is a combination of vitamins. Of course it'll help AHA to speed up its process, so if you have a lot of impurities under your skin (you have to remember that AHA is notorious for its penetrating ability where BP cannot penetrate), your impurities will erupt via opened pores or formerly clogged pores. This is called purging.

After purging, my skin has been getting better consistently. Large pores are being reduced in size.

dhwaa: AHA is an excellent exfoliator. Hence the word exfoliator. It doesn't have the ability to kill acne bacteria as BP. BP is like a chemical peel, it kills the outer surface by method of skin shedding. It doesn't penetrate pores as well as AHA. Purging is expected with AHA because AHA unclogged pores and shed the aging dead skin layer to reveal new skin.

I am theoretically thinking. Pores cleaner now could allow BP to penetrate better and eliminate any remanents of acne bacteria. I am not sure yet.

The best thing about AHA regimen, say goodbye to bleaching clothes with BP. AHA never will bleach clothes.

I get it with bp vs aha - I just wondered why if you are clear, that you need to add bp again????? Unless to spot treat, which is what I am using it for now. I haven't changed my sig, but I am using the resq too, it is pretty good, not as strong as Green Cream, but I like what my skin looks like the next am!

May 9, 2008

Trial Experiment

1. I decided to put on BP nighttime as suggested by Dan Kern in his blog regarding using BP and AHA nighttime and only AHA in the morning.

Observation

2. It has been a couple hours after applying two full pumps of Dan Kern's treatment (8 oz). It's nice that it doesn't burn my skin because I would think after a month and a couple weeks, my skin would be sensitive to BP. Apparently, it's not and that is good news.

3. After applying AHA lotion on my face (when BP is completely dried), I could feel the slight (minor) burning of AHA immediately, which brings me to a hypothesis.

4. Hypothesis: Could it be that my skin has a lot of layers of dead skin due to the constant exfoliation by AHA? Or, the BP primed my new skin to be extra sensitive to AHA?

5. My guess is into two parts. One: If my skin haven't exfoliated enough, I could say that the layers and layers of dead skin are like a protectant to keep AHA from burning my skin. This would explain why sometimes, I no longer have any sensation with AHA for couple weeks. Two, or it could be that my new skin is used to AHA, BP chemically kills the surface layer and AHA penetrated deeper which causes burning sensation.

6. One way or other, I think a combination of BP and AHA theoretically can be a good thing. I think we already know the differences between BP and AHA at this point, so I'll not say what the differences are. I can say this, BP is a catalyst in speeding up the exfoliation process. The faster the skin sheds, the newer the skin. BP is skin shedding solution and AHA is exfoliation process. This is why people always put AHA after BP. As BP sheds skins, AHA exfoliates the dead skin.

News for June 2008

I would have to say consistency is the key to great skin care.

I am at a point where two full pump of Dan Kern Treatment doesn't even burn or dry my skin. I must say that I agree with Dan that the best regimen is BP nightime and AHA daytime with sunscreen.

I haven't had breakouts for 2 months or so. Part of that success is due to consistency of following the regimen diligently. I'll tell you this.

I still use Alpha Hydrox products and Dan Kern Product. I enjoy my success at the moment. I wish everyone success with their regimen. One thing I've learn is that consistency is the major key in attaining success no matter how long it takes.

Sman7~

I owe a little of my sucess to you. After I read your log I ordered the face wash, the 10% oil free glycolic acid and the Retinol ResQ. Prior to order this I was on fincea, mino, BP and every other product can think of. NONE WORKED.

I started my new regimen using the Glycolic acid in the morning and 2.5% BP at night. I didn't like the Retinol ResQ becasue I found it really thick and my skin was extremely oily at the time. I saw some improvement but I wasn't happy with it. Then I asked my doctor for Spiro, added it to my regimen and I have to say, my skin is really looking good.

I have such clarity from the AHA, my sking is so smooth and my pores appear alot smaller. After 8 years of suffering and then realizing my problem was hormal on fast on my way to totally clear skin.

I still use the BP for the antibacteral qualities and becasue it helps fade my dark spots along with the AHA. I don't know how long I'll have to take spiro, I've read of others taking it for years. Once I am 100% clear I'll try to wean off it and see how it goes.