Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NTK8989

Did takes Acne 2 weeks to form??

Hi everyone...

Just want to ask how long it takes acne to form?

i did some research, and it says it takes 1-2 weeks for acne to form...

So for example:

1) i ate hell of alot of seafood which is high in idoine. So if i was to have a break out, it will be one - two weeks after?

2) i clogged my pores with a product, lets say a cream which i applied after shower, if this couse me to break out, il break out one - two weeks after?

Knowing the time that takes acne to form will defintlly help me find out what triggered it.

Thanks..

Also another question for the experienced acne fighters here...xp

hm... will pading cetphil lotion on acne skin after shower help spread pimple?

Thanks for all replies!! =]

This isn't neccessarily true for me - if I eat dairy, 2 days, 3 max I'll have one or two nodules coming up, think I have an intollerance - As for anything else, 2 weeks seems a little high, I'd say about 1 week at most is the time I notice a correlation between something I've done and acne.

It does take a few weeks for acne to form. The reason people think they flare up over night is because they don't notice a pimple until it starts to get inflamed or the clog gets big enough that it pushes up through the skin. The pore started to clog long before the pimple ever surfaced though. These are called microcomedones - they are the first stage in all types of acne lesions - blackheads, whiteheads, pustules, papules, cysts and nodules. They are too small to be seen or to feel at first. They will gradually get larger as more cellular debris and oil and often bacteria gets trapped until it gets large enough that you notice it as a clogged pore (whitehead or blackhead) or it bursts open the follicle, at which time the body's immune system responds to the burst follicle and bacteria by inducing inflammation

What can happen is if you have existing comedones is that something may induce inflamation in the comedone and that will result in a noticeable, inflamed pimple. Iodine is one thing that can lead to irritation of the pores and result in a flare up of existing comedones.

I posted this in response to a question in another thread, but I thought this info was worth repeating here. This is one of the clearest descriptions of the differences between each type of acne lesion and what leads to each type of acne lesion. It also has a nice, concise explanation of why some lesions get inflamed and others don't.

This is an excerpt from Marc Lees book "Skin Care Beyond the Basics" Great reference book!

Noninflammatory and Inflammatory Acne Lesions

As cells build up on the inside of the follicle wall they form a small impaction called a microcomedo. Microcomedones are actually a mixture of dead cells, bacteria, fatty acids from sebum, and other cellular debris. Microcomedones are not visible to the naked eye. They cannot be seen without a microscope. They continue to retain more and more of the mixture of dead cells, sebum, and bacteria, until they become a visible lesion under the surface of the skin.

There is a point in the development of the impaction where the microcomedo either becomes an inflammatory or noninflammatory lesion. Noninflammatory means that the impaction is not red or inflamed. Examples of noninflammatory lesions are open comedones (blackheads) and closed comedones (whiteheads).

Open comedones occur when the follicle is large enough to hold all of the debris retained by the follicle. The ostium, or opening, in these follicles is dilated by the mass of the impaction, allowing the comedo to push toward the surface opening.

Proprionbacterium acnes (p. acnes) is the scientific name of the bacteria that causes acne vulgaris. Open comedones do not encourage development of this bacterial growth because the follicle opening is large enough to expose the follicle to oxygen. The oxygen is also what causes the blackhead to form at the exposed part of the impaction. This darkening is caused by the exposure of the top of the comedo to the oxygen in the air outside the follicle. The sebum turns a brown color, similar to the way mayonnaise will turn yellow if left out on a picnic table for a period of time. The darkness is also caused by clumps of melanin (skin pigment) present in the dead cells in the comdeo. This theory is easily demonstrated by observing an extracted open comedo. It is a solid cylindrical plug, topped by a dark area that gets lighter as the deeper parts of the impaction are extracted.

Open comedones, therefore, rarely develop into inflammatory lesions. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for closed comedones. Closed comedones have very small pore openings, which prevents oxygen from readily penetrating the follicle. The walls of the follicle stretch to hold the contents of the impaction, but the follicle opening does not. Because of this lack of oxygen, the lesions can easily become inflamed due to the increasing numbers of bacteria multiplying in the anaerobic environment.

Closed comedones are easily recognizable. They are small underground bumps and are not easily extracted. They are frequently associated with the use of comedogenic cosmetics, as indicated in the blush line of some women.

When enough bacteria form inside the closed comedo and the impaction becomes large enough, a small tear occurs in the follicle wall, which stimulates the immune system to investigate, releasing white blood cells into the area. This begins the inflammatory process.

A papule is a red, sore bump without a whitehead (no pus). This is the beginning of the rescue by the white blood cells. When enough white blood cells arrive, they may form a clump and rise to the surface, creating what is known as a pustule. Pus is the common name for this clump of white blood cells. For practical purposes, a papule is often described by the client as a large, red, sore bump that never comes to a head. Papules seem sometimes to magically disappear. This is because the immune system has won the battle and disposed of the remains through normal blood excretion. Papules affect the nerve endings more than pustules because they are deeper in the skin. This explains the soreness. Pustules have migrated the impaction toward the skin surface, dilating the follicle opening and relieving the pressure on the nerve endings, resulting in less pain.

A nodule is similar to a papule, but is deeper in the skin and feels very solid and sore. Cysts are deep infections caused by a deep, massive invasion of white blood cells. They are very pustular and very large.

Good, information!!

Okay, so now I understand why I was completely clear eating only boiled sggs and apples...I think this blackhead on my cheek is due to me not eating any green vegetables, those weeks that I was on that limited diet..nor was I eating any salmon, or taking many vitamins.

Besides b-complex and l-glutamine, and oregano oil.