Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scarredpores

distractions from thinking about acne...

i do plenty of things to keep myself from thinking too damn much about my acne. some of the things i do often are play the guitar, sing and dance (not all at once although i COULD try). this is on top of spending time with family and friends and all that other good stuff.

I'm quite a workaholic and a gamer so.. my mind easily gets occupied by something else other than the acne I'm having on my face. But when I do look into the mirror for a while and noticed how bad my skin condition is, I'll tell myself that everything will be fine soon.

I think I'm psychologically strong! :nod:

I recently found out a mate of mine had been acting very low as of the last few months because he thought he was going bald.

He'd been visiting a site much like this one, only it's for Male Baldness -

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/index.cfm?nocookies=yes

It's full of posts "My life is over - I lost another 500 hairs today", which many on this board might find rediculous, yet some people spend their entire waking moments thinking about their hair, just like others do with acne.

I had never even paid second thought to his hair, evidently neither had his girlfriend, it makes me think, we will find what we percieve as massive flaws that others don't even know exist.

I bet there's a forum out there for almost everything (there's one for excess hair too!)

Next time you're out and you think everyone else around is pefect, I'm willing to bet half of them are in the same state as us, only on a different forum :boohoo:

I recently found out a mate of mine had been acting very low as of the last few months because he thought he was going bald.

It's full of posts "My life is over - I lost another 500 hairs today", which many on this board might find rediculous, yet some people spend their entire waking moments thinking about their hair, just like others do with acne.

I had never even paid second thought to his hair, evidently neither had his girlfriend, it makes me think, we will find what we percieve as massive flaws that others don't even know exist.

I bet there's a forum out there for almost everything (there's one for excess hair too!)

Next time you're out and you think everyone else around is pefect, I'm willing to bet half of them are in the same state as us, only on a different forum :boohoo:

Yea, same here. I've never realized how bad other people have it, with certain flaws that you really never pay attention to, since you don't have them yourself. The one that really struck me last week was overweight people. It must really suck being fat; No pun intended either. Especially, if you're a teenager in school, who constantly gets made fun of, and bullied because of your weight. It makes me appreciate being skinny, even though I don't like being skinny at times. lol Sorry, about getting off topic there...

very nice. You have a very good voice.

Agreed! I'd never have the guts to post a video of me singing on teh 'Tube :)

As for me, hanging out with family is good because they don't care and I don't have to impress them. Friends are sometimes stressful because one of my friends is practically a supermodel and I know he notices everything about everyone's looks, so it's hard at times. But once I'm out I usually forget about acne and just try to be me.

Weightlifting. It's healthy, fun and in the end you look good naked:p

I started weightlifting since I got Acne. I thought, ok I'm not good looking (anymore :P) so I should use other methods into making myself more attractive and my physique is where I should start. A guy should be muscular and my physique is something that I can control, unlike Acne. Then that led onto being more fashion conscious; in the end anything that would make me more attractive on the outside to make up for Acne.

You have a great voice.. and from what I can see, your skin seems normal. If there are problems, they're not noticable :dance: Keep up the singing. I really liked your version of killing me softly :clap:

I checked out the Hair Loss forum, and I'm going to post something that I think is really interesting. We all know how our skin affects us and the mannerisms we pick up due to it (avoiding certain lights, eye contact, etc). However, someone suffering from hair loss experiences a lot of the same things, so anyway, I will just post this that I found (Hopefully I am not breaking certain codes of conduct when it comes to posting stuff from other forums, but maybe it will be helpful for some of us to read):

I finally built up the courage and did it. Shaved my head completely bald despite the scars from my hair transplant. Was sick of living a lie and feeling awful all the time. Here is a quick recap of a post I put up about a year ago just so you know how bad I felt.

“Okay…here is my story. Never really vented about this to anyone so please bear with me. I started losing my hair when I was about 20 years old and got so obsessed with it that I ended up going to Bosley after watching one of their infomercials (I know, I know…bad move). They totally played on my naivety and insecurities and offered me a fool-proof dreams to a full head of hair again. Anyway, went through with it and got 600 grafts. The grafts actually came in and didn’t look that bad at all, but by the time the new hair was fully growing in, I had already started to lose more hair and needed more transplants. Not wanting to go that awful surgery again, I started using Toppik and Couvre to hide my baldness (pretty effectively) and have pretty much been a slave to those products ever since. Only problem now is that I am 28 and my thinning has gotten so bad that people are definitely noticing that I put stuff in my hair. One of my friends even joked that if I wanted a haircut…all I would need is a wet rag (that one hurt). And when I use the term slave...I mean it. For example: I find myself avoiding gatherings with friends or any social event just so I won’t have to deal with the insecurity, I avoid direct bright lights or even sunlight (makes my hair look that much worse), I curse the days when the wind is strong, I can’t go for a spontaneous dive in a swimming pool, I flinch uncontrollably when a girl I’m hooking up with tries to run her fingers through my hair, I desperately stare at a person’s eyes when I talk to them to see if they look up to check out my hair, I won’t go to the gym after work because don’t want to have to deal with “redoing†my hair after a shower, I can’t sleep on white sheets (brown stains all over from the couvre/toppik), and outside of work I pretty much live in my baseball cap (would probably curl up and dye without it). Hell, it got so bad that one night I got into a fight with a guy in a bar and when my hat fell off I fell to the floor to rush to get it back on and let this guy kick the shit out of me, rather than expose my cover-up for baldness. Pathetic…I know, but that is the reality I live in. And these are just a few of the negatives…believe me, there are many more and I am sure that many of you have experienced them too.â€

Wow it's like the acne parallel universe over there lol. Crazy. I had no idea people thought of hairloss like that. That poor guy dwells on it and lets it control his life, and honestly, I wouldn't think twice about dating a guy with thinning hair. Not that big of a deal to me. Just shows, almost everyone has their insecurities, and are waaay more critical of themselves than the average person would be. Thanks for posting this :clap:

Whenever I'm sad about acne or whatever, I put on some fresh clothes and just dance.

True story.