Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
omega23

Multivitamins making acne worst...think about it

we've all heard iodine is linked with acne, ex. milk contains iodine in it therefore milk can cause breakouts.

well take a look at the concentration of the iodine in your multis,mine has 150mg, most are the same. ive stopped taking them for the last week and i havnt had a breakout since.

Awesome job! Let's hope you stay break out free and that leads to clarity. Keep at it for a few weeks and keep us updated. let us know if it was a coincidence or it actually was what you needed :)

Awesome job! Let's hope you stay break out free and that leads to clarity. Keep at it for a few weeks and keep us updated. let us know if it was a coincidence or it actually was what you needed :)

just checked and mine doesn't have iodine =)

curiously though, have you checked that yours doesn't count e numbers, preservatives and colouring. my sister was telling me that hers (cant remember what brand name) contained some Sunshine yellowing colour or something like that.... which is a really old school colouring and really really bad for us (worse than e numbers)!! really gotta check the ingredients carefully!

Yeah, you do have to watch out for the iodine in the multivitamins - especially if you already get a lot of iodine in your diet (which most people do with dairy, meat, seafood, salted snacks, etc.)

another thing i just checked and my zinc and cod/flax oil have some ingrdients that could cause inflammation like stearic acid which is a saturated fatty acid that comes from many animal and vegetable fats and oils. im going to look into all natural vitamins.

Is there a certain brand/s to look out for or certain tricks to have up ur sleeve when picking vitamins to make sure u end up with iodine free ones?

Look, everyone, if you're cutting out processed food & dairy from your diet (which I highly suggest), then you're already going pretty low on iodine. There are populations, including the super-elusively-healthy Japanese, that eat more iodine than most others but are still famous for having pretty low rates of acne. My point is that you should not worry about iodine from multivitamins, or even the rest of your diet, assuming that you have already cut out refined foods and dairy. There are some that truly are affected by iodine, but save yourself the trouble and actually make sure that you are one of these people before going out of your way to avoid something that you cannot deny is an essential nutrient.

My multi doesn't have iodine. And since I don't eat much salt I've been worried about that and have been taking a thyroid supplement that contains iodine. I think it requires a ton of iodine to cause acne. It's at the bottom of my list of foods to worry about.