Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tobias

Daily fat intake

To give u some ballpark figures I'm 5'11, 19 yrs, male, 65kg or 145 pounds, lean, fast metabolism, mild cheek acne.

I plan- 4 tablespoons e.v.o.o./day__2 tablespoons butter/day__1 tablespoon cocunut oil/day.

Does this sound enough, less, too much?

To me that sounds obscenely high.

Insulin resistance waiting to happen, especially if you eat lots of carbs and don't don't exercise a lot.

Fats and carbs don't mix very well. When you look at the success stories in these forums it's usually from extremely low-carb and high-fat diet or extremely low-fat and high-carb & fiber diets. You gotta choose either 'extreme'. Because if you mix them say hello to acne and blood sugar problems.

I personally choose the low-fat road (meaning less than 20% of total calories from fat and often even less than that). Because reducing carbs has so many nutritional disadvantages.

Sepsi, you have written a very nice book. I must congratulate you on that. Most of the things you have discussed ring very true to me also. I especially liked the way you approached the problem holistically rather than just fixing the problem temporarily through a tube in the butt(!).

But there are certain things that I differ with. For instance your stance on supplementation seems a bit too rigid. Its very well that you advocate minimising the fats, but still I would certainly not worry about the good quality omega 3 fats like Cod liver oil and Fish oil. Also olive oil wouldnt be too much of a concern for me. Similarly for the supplementation with vitamin C.

But other than that I believe that most of the members would be more or less in agreement with what views you have expressed. I have read quite a few books on Acne (Acne free in three days, Acne and its therapy, Acne for dummies) but yours was way better than the others.

Its also good to know that you also frequent Pavlina's website. That guy has a truly amazing insight.

Seriously man you rock. Keep up the good work. :clap:

PS: finally what happened with the debit card mishap in the Indian book store?

Thanks for the positive comments. They make doing this thing really worth it :D

I know that some of my stand are a little 'extreme'. You know my 'real' opinions are not that extreme. It's not that I hate supplements but in the book I want to 'instill' a certain mindset (I'll get back to that later).

I also know that people always 'cut short' the things you say. People rarely take your words serious. I don't think anyone throws away their supplement stocks after they read that I think supplements are not really worth it.

The truth anyhow still remains that supplement can't replace healthy living and when you live healthy you don't need supplements.

If you don't live healthy then supplements can do little 'damage control' and as such have some value. But they rarely are THE answer.

Many people (not necessarily people on this forum) live in a happy, little fantasy land where they can just take supplements to correct their lifestyle issues. That taking a vitamin pill somehow erases the McDonal's meal they just had.

With my 'extreme' stances I hope to steer people away from that kind of thinking towards something more helpful.

I know fully well that few people actually go to the extreme I suggest, but if I can move them towards that, they are so much closer to getting and remaining clear.

Oils are a bit tricky. I do acknowledge they can be healthy. But you have to be careful with them. Just two tablespoons and you've blown your fat limits for the day.

In the context of the diet I recommend (low-fat, high-fruits) that can lead to problems.

All fruits and vegetables also have some EFAs. So you don't necessarily need oils. But I do mention at the book that if you don't eat so much fruits and vegetables then you could consider a tablespoon of flaxseed or some other 'good' oil a day.

Yeah, Steve has some fantastic stuff on his website. Did you know he just started on low-fat, raw-vegan diet and is praising it through the roof? Bit by bit people realize the benefits of eating and living like this.

I got the money back.... finally after a long battle with them. I tell you man, getting money out of India is like squeezing water out of a desert rock. I've been there a bit too long time :D

@kaizen.iitk I noticed you wanted to start exercising. Roger Heaske has some good stuff and insights on exercising and active lifestyle. I've bought few of his products and they are ok. They don't give you huge insights but contain some helpful advice and tips. I recommend that you keep reading his blog here:

http://rogerhaeske.com/?page_id=179

Other than that, you know simple walking is also exercise. Plus you can do your breathing exercises at the same time. I'm sure anyone can do that.

thanks sepsi. I have recently been able to somewhat regularise my exercise routine. I have been running/ jogging daily for 40 minutes(+) in the morning (just at the sunrise is the best time). I have running meditation by kelly howell (and also walking meditation) from the brain sync corp. Its really good. I just load it onto my Ipod shuffle and then go on pounding the pavement.

the link you provided seems interesting. I will definitely check it out. I really should keep a log of my exercise routine. If only I can take it beyond three weeks then it would become a permanent habit.

Thanks.

Although I absolutely love Pavlina but the real reason I got interested in this self help stuff is because of Mike Brescia. I have his think right now programs(3) for audio. But even before that I did an email course provided by him. It was exceptional.

here is the link if you feel like it http://www.todayisyourdaytowin.com/archive.htm

K

As long as a caloric balance is maintained, healthy food are eaten and exercise is performed a diet with similar levels of fats and carbs is not worse than either a low-carb or an high-carb.

The first example that comes to mind is the Zone for active people (40% carbs and 40% fats) which does indeed helps with inflammation, glycemia, hyperinsulinemia and so on [not because there's anything magic to the macronutrient ratio]

Another one is the typical isocaloric diet 33/33/33 ... it works very good too and doesn't have anything worse comparedto either an high-carb or low-carb. Actually isocaloric diet are considered the best for maintenance and the easier to stick too. If there are problems it is due to combining trans fats with refined sucrose (like in most commercial products)

Hey Danny,

can you give me (or all of us) some advice on how to eat moderately in each food group?

I think many of us geer towards the low carb high protein high fat diet, or the other extreme of high carb and low fat, simply because doign so is EASY, in the respect that it is very explicit what you can eat and the serving size is more definite. For example, when I'm mixing foods, should I eat that extra banana when I already had one? Sometimes that extra cheese stick can push you over the limits in terms of breaking out. I know that from experience. Even though I'm clear now, I still get comedones once in awhile when I eat 2 bananas, or when I accidentally--yes, accidentally--forget that I can't eat too much rice. How do you strike the balance? I mean, you seem to insist that macronutrient ratio is neglible, but for many of us acne sufferers, balancing and limiting foods such that triggers don't break you out, without totally eliminating them, is truly a difficult feat. If i'm on a low carb, high fat diet, I NEVER break out. The word is never. When I start eating less rigidly, I still won't break if i eat with LOTS of awareness, but sometimes that makes a complete chore out of eating. I also exercise for an hour everyday.....

Please provide some tips.

thanks man

As long as a caloric balance is maintained, healthy food are eaten and exercise is performed a diet with similar levels of fats and carbs is not worse than either a low-carb or an high-carb.

The first example that comes to mind is the Zone for active people (40% carbs and 40% fats) which does indeed helps with inflammation, glycemia, hyperinsulinemia and so on [not because there's anything magic to the macronutrient ratio]

Another one is the typical isocaloric diet 33/33/33 ... it works very good too and doesn't have anything worse comparedto either an high-carb or low-carb. Actually isocaloric diet are considered the best for maintenance and the easier to stick too. If there are problems it is due to combining trans fats with refined sucrose (like in most commercial products)

I concur with Danny. And I think it's better to follow an anti-inflammatory diet than high or low fat or carb. And in doing so, you will be reducing the worst carbs and fats.

And don't binge.

And whether that's too much oils depends on what else you eat. Are you otherwise eating low fat? Why don't you start with less olive oil and butter and see?

For example, when I'm mixing foods, should I eat that extra banana when I already had one? Sometimes that extra cheese stick can push you over the limits in terms of breaking out.

I should put the word extra in quotations. The thing is, I'm not quite sure whether its extra. I mean, i could eat 100 low fat cheese sticks if I were hungry. The thing is, I'm never sure the point at which its going to affect my skin negatively.

Hey Danny,

can you give me (or all of us) some advice on how to eat moderately in each food group?

I think many of us geer towards the low carb high protein high fat diet, or the other extreme of high carb and low fat, simply because doign so is EASY, in the respect that it is very explicit what you can eat and the serving size is more definite.