Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Today is going to start day #1 of a 30 day challenge to no skin picking. For 8 years I have suffered from a disorder known as self injurious skin picking. I found out that I am not the only person suffering from this disorder when i visited the website www.selfinjuriousskinpicking.com.I decided to post a log here to see if there was anyone from acne.org that has skin picking issues. I began skin picking when i started getting break outs the summer before my sophmore year of high school in 2000. I would pick at my pimples and cause them to scab and then scar. I have suffered with this for 8 years and made my skin much worse than it actually is. I dont really have acne anymore, just an occasional pimple and some blackheads. but i pick at anything i can on my face making scabs everywhere. There are times that i get to busy and dont pick and my skin will clear up, but that doesnt last long i always find a way to pick again. I have tried everything and I am determined that i can fight this disorder. I am going to keep a log of my progress each day for 30 days and try the very hardest possible to keep my hands off my face. here is my plan-

1. In the am I will touch my face only to apply makeup after my shower

2. throughout the day i can only touch my face to reapply makeup

3. in the pm i will wash face with cetaphil cleanser and apply BP to any active spots/ I cannot pick at any active acne or blackheads.

4. I will log my progress each day

So heres to ending this battle and having the good skin that is underneath this crazy disorder.

Today is going to start day #1 of a 30 day challenge to no skin picking.

So heres to ending this battle and having the good skin that is underneath this crazy disorder.

If you don't mind, I'll do this with you. I really don't have any acne any more, but occasionally I'll see a clogged pore or something and just mess with it-- even though I know that's TERRIBLE haha!

I SO needed to read this today. I currently have 2 large spots on my face that started as tiny little pimples. They would be gone by now had I not picked them.

Hi there, I found the link to the 'picking' site extremely helpful. I'd like to know how you got on and whether you are still picking?!!

Yours,

Self-confessed Pick-a-holic.

I recieved laser treatments for 8 months and spent $8000. I was so happy with the results. I am so disappointed in myself. I completely ruined my face by picking these last two months. I can't look anybody in the face at work. My sons baptism is coming up and I am embarassed to meet some of my husbands family for the first time. I need to stop today!!!

Wow. . . this really hits home. I am now 29 years old and have been struggling with the same thing pretty much since I was born. Didn't know there was an actual disorder for this. I pick at everything - not just my face but my arms, and other places. My husband is even worst. . he picks his chest and face and shoulders. To make matters worse we pick at each other!!!! I totally destroy his back . . he says it's relaxing. . .especially when I get a "good one."

Ugh, even typing this makes me realize how sick we really are. I started a new medicine recently and the combonation of that along with stress from a new job and my face is nothing but huge, deep-set, zits. I don't even konw if you can call them zits anymore they're more like boils they're humongous and so deep-set that they don't pop. They're painful and horrible.

Here's a little story that I hope will help you stop picking, and I know I should heed my own advice. I worked for 3 summers at an amusement park, and the long hours, hot/sweaty conditions plus no sleep contributed to lots of zits. I got one a little lower than my eye between my eye and my nose. It started really small, like 2-3mm. I popped it and popped it and it would never go away. It started to grow and a year or so later it got really big and people actually started to ask me what that thing was on my face. It actually morphed into several different shapes. It was once mushy, then it became really hard, but it was hard under the skin so I could move it from side to side under the skin. Then it became really sore and mushy again like a regular zit excecpt extra extra large. I saw so many doctors, no one would or could remove it. Each time I would schedule an appointment with a dermotologist to remove it, once I got to the appt it would change size or shape and they would refuse to remove it due to the location and risk they would leave a scar worse than the issue. Believe me ANYTHING was better than this thing on my face. It was the worst time in my life. I never went anywhere. . if I did I wore a big hat and sunglasses over my face. . i moved in with my mom. At my 3rd or 4th Dr appt, and he again said no, he recoommended a plastic surgeon. They even though ti might be CANEROUS!!! They eventually said it was benign, it could be caused by aggrevation (picking!!!) or too much sun.

The best DR in my town had like a year waiting list. . . so I settled for the 2nd best - I now have a horrible scar where the zit was. . . It's still much better than the original zit/boil/pimple/whatever - but I still wonder why I STILL DESTROY my face when I know the damage it causes.

I really want to try your 30 day challenge. I have a really hard time not touching my face - I'm a very hyper person and the meds I'm on makes my face itch sometimes. I know this contributes to the oil that's on my face. Here's some things I'm going to try, though, to help me. In the morning wash with cetaphil/shower and I apply my makeup in the car on the way to work (long ride.) At work I will keep a tissue at my desk at all times, and when I have to touch my face, use the tissue instead of with my fingers. Wash my hands all the time!!! When I get home, put a piece of paper in front of my mirro that says NO POPPING, you'll regret it. . hahaha. At night I will wash with cetaphil (mom gets this half-off at Alcon where she works) If I have to look at my face once, and think about popping a zit, QUICKLY grab some DENTAL FLOSS and floss my teeth. Flossing is a somewhat satisfactory alternative to popping. .. . that and plucking my eyebrow hairs. Then, if I absolutely HAVE to have a zit popped . . . I'll attack my husband's back instead of my FACE that everyone can see.

Krati . .

Thanks for posting this...I have been really struggling this week and this helped a lot...i didn't win today , but i am going to try to do this with you.... and maybe take up knitting and gum chewing. :)

Today is going to start day #1 of a 30 day challenge to no skin picking. For 8 years I have suffered from a disorder known as self injurious skin picking. I found out that I am not the only person suffering from this disorder when i visited the website www.selfinjuriousskinpicking.com.I decided to post a log here to see if there was anyone from acne.org that has skin picking issues. I began skin picking when i started getting break outs the summer before my sophmore year of high school in 2000. I would pick at my pimples and cause them to scab and then scar. I have suffered with this for 8 years and made my skin much worse than it actually is. I dont really have acne anymore, just an occasional pimple and some blackheads. but i pick at anything i can on my face making scabs everywhere. There are times that i get to busy and dont pick and my skin will clear up, but that doesnt last long i always find a way to pick again. I have tried everything and I am determined that i can fight this disorder. I am going to keep a log of my progress each day for 30 days and try the very hardest possible to keep my hands off my face. here is my plan-

1. In the am I will touch my face only to apply makeup after my shower

2. throughout the day i can only touch my face to reapply makeup

3. in the pm i will wash face with cetaphil cleanser and apply BP to any active spots/ I cannot pick at any active acne or blackheads.

4. I will log my progress each day

I have this disorder! and I am starting a 30 day no touching face challenge, making a video on youtube every day to talk about it!!!!!!! SWEEEETTTT. check my youtube account youtube.com/MattTunechi

:)

wow, im surprised because i would never thought that this actually a disorder...i'm a nervous person and every time i see a clogged pore on my face or when it is not even noticeable i tend to squeeze it. Then voilá i get a huge dark mark. I'm sick of it. Do you guys think that stopping this picking would help me to heal quickly? :(

I will join you!

I am going to add in not looking in mirrors for the first 10days, apart from when I wash my face.

I find I have an obsession with mirrors, not just in my house but when I am out, and find myself checking every 10-15 minutes which exacerbates my tendancy to pick.

I truely hope it goes well for you, keep us updated :)

Edited by flowerchild1990

wow, im surprised because i would never thought that this actually a disorder...i'm a nervous person and every time i see a clogged pore on my face or when it is not even noticeable i tend to squeeze it. Then voilá i get a huge dark mark. I'm sick of it. Do you guys think that stopping this picking would help me to heal quickly? :(

Yup , I used to be sooo bad..but I have made real effort to cut down on the picking and I have to say my acne has gotten better =]

I am 26 years old and have been picking at my skin since I was 12. I have a tendency when I come home from work to pick at my scalp without even realizing, then it leads to checking in the mirror to see how clogged my pores are... subsequently I pick at my face. After that is all said and done I try to heal my skin by applying different creams. After 14 years of this routine I have come to favor using Aloe Vera plant on my face if I cant find the plant I go to the nearest health store and purchase Aloe Vera gel. I have mild acne, isn't even noticeable to most people, but the blackheads are what drive me batty. I pick at them because I want the gunk out of my face thinking it will feel better afterwards but evidently it makes things worse and I feel like a chump again. I started seeing a Psych because I want my freedom back before the acne before the skin picking she says I have a habit disorder and is going to start habit reversal therapy with me...so fingers crossed hoping it works. I would like to participate in this 30 day challenge but fear its not that simple i have tried and failed on my own personal challenges but hope with other people participating it might make it easier.

Guest davidtheskinking

I actually had a question on my facebook page about this today!

I have some advice for this,

If you pick your skin, create a new habit of scratching your chest, neck or back instead.

In order to break old bad habits you need to create a good new habit (or neutral in this case) that replaces it.

Then you anchor it, so every time you go to scratch your face you scratch your back instead... If you create this new habit it will be much easier to break the old habit.

Hope this helps!

David