Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jemini

Diet soda might not be terrible for acne

I found this study which compares the insulin response of diet soda to sweetened drinks

In this study, we examined the association between sugar-sweetened drink, diet soda, and fruit juice consumption and surrogate measures of insulin resistance. Sugar-sweetened drink, diet soda, and fruit juice consumption was estimated using a semiquantitative FFQ in 2500 subjects at the fifth examination (1991–1995) of the Framingham Offspring Study. Surrogate markers of insulin resistance measured in this study included fasting insulin, fasting glucose, homeostatic model assessment of insulin resistance, and the insulin sensitivity index (ISI0,120). Sugar-sweetened drink consumption was positively associated with fasting insulin (none vs. ≥2 servings/d, 188 vs. 206 pmol/L, P-trend <0.001) after adjusting for potential confounders. Sugar-sweetened drink consumption was not associated with fasting glucose or ISI0,120. Fruit juice consumption was inversely associated with fasting glucose (none vs. ≥2 servings/d, 5.28 vs. 5.18 mmol/L, P-trend = 0.006), but not with fasting insulin (none vs. ≥2 servings/d, 200 vs. 188 pmol/L, P-trend = 0.37) or ISI0,120 (none vs. ≥2 servings/d, 26.0 vs. 27.0, P-trend = 0.19) in multivariate models. Diet soda consumption was not associated with any surrogate measures of insulin resistance after adjustment for potential confounders (insulin: none vs. ≥2 servings/d, 195 vs. 193 pmol/L, P-trend = 0.59; glucose: 5.26 vs. 5.24 mmol/L, P-trend = 0.84; and ISI0,120: 26.2 vs. 26.7, P-trend = 0.37). In these healthy adults, sugar-sweetened drink consumption appears to be unfavorably associated with surrogate measures reflecting hepatic more than peripheral insulin sensitivity. Studies of long-term beverage consumption using more direct measures of insulin sensitivity are clearly warranted.

Now, I am not saying diet soda is good for you by any means. It still may make you crave sweet things later and cause all sorts of problems in excess. What I am saying is that if you really need a sweet taste, or something to mix with your alcohol when going out, diet soda may be an "acne friendly" possibility if kept in moderation. This study shows it really doesn't effect insulin or glucose levels. Being on an insulin resistance diet is hard enough, at least knowing diet soda can be a safe "treat" at least provides some flexibility.

Note: This is good news for me because this is my last "Spring Weekend" at the university of Connecticut. For those who don't know, its a huge drinking holiday. I don't/can't drink beer because of the gluten and carbs. But I will probably be drinking gin and diet tonics all weekend. I know, I know, not the healthiest decision of my life but sometimes you just got to live a little.

If it tasted even remotely good I might consider drinking it lol

EDIT* ahh, I didn't think about mixed drinks...