Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NyamNyam

Accutane & Moderate acne (severe acne sufferers please do not get pissed off with me :])

Helloooo, I'm finally having my first dermatologist appointment on tuesday after arguing with my GP about accutane for 3 months. He wrote in his refferal that he reccomended roaccutane, but I'm pretty sure that a dermatologist's own opinion won't really be affected much by a mere GP. I currently have moderate acne which has improved over the course of 8 months from the use of topicals and antibiotics, including retinoids.

However, my skin will not improve beyond its current state and i'm in a position where I go through weeks of not getting any acne to weeks of breaking out really badly. I'm pissed off with this crap and so I plan to try and convince my derm to put me on a course of accutane. I have lots of red marks on my face but usually only around 4-6 active spots at any one time on average. My question is, do you think the dermatologist will make me go through the whole process of topicals and oral antibiotics again before he would consider accutane? Also, any advice from people that have obtained accutane for their moderate acne. How did you go about getting it and were there any set backs? Thanks!

Yeah, I was thinking about discussing the psychological effects it has but I don't want to come across as being emo :P. It's gonna be hard because they told me that a medical student will also be present because its a hospital where they also teach students. I'll get all nervous and embarassed.

Yeah, I was thinking about discussing the psychological effects it has but I don't want to come across as being emo :P. It's gonna be hard because they told me that a medical student will also be present because its a hospital where they also teach students. I'll get all nervous and embarassed.

I was in the same situation, I had a lot of hyperpigmentation spots (red marks) and around 5 active pimples (some weeks none). I tried antibiotics, topical creams and retinoids. They helped me a lot and I had great success controlling acne, but I couldn't get rid of them! So anyway, I went to another dermatologist (didn't like the other one, not accutane related) And on the first visit he prescribed accutane, hopefully it'll help. I'm waiting for the blood test result.

He told me he's prescribing accutane for 20 years now and I know he graduated from a decent university so I HOPE he knows what he's doing... :surprised:

Do you have any pictures of your skin posted? Maybe you can upload one and get a feedback here. Either you are overjudging your acne or your dermatologist really isn't taking into account your emotional stress. DON'T worry about students being present during your appointment. I am sure they are not allowed to talk about patients with other people. If it really bothers you to an extent that you think you cannot talk openly, simply explain this and nicely ask the student to leave for a short time. This might even show the dermatologist how important this is to you and that you are really suffering.

Also, don't worry about coming "across as being emo". If you think about it, the psychological distress is the only reason that really justifies prescribing Accutane. If somebody with "terrible" acne never worries about it and isn't upset, there is no reason to give him Accutane. Somebody with mild acne, on the other hand, might suffer so much that it is necessary to presribe it.

EDIT: I just browsed through some of your other threads. Seems like you too are really pissed off with this. But you wrote that you didn't tell your GP because you were afraid he wouldn't prescribe Accutane fearing you might get depressions. I really do believe that if you walk into the dermatologist's office and seem like the happiest person ever, he will definetely not prescribe Accutane. Especially if your acne is not that bad. You need to be open about this! BUT: You also wrote that you do have some kind of depression, if I read that correctly (read too much today). If this is the case, your derm needs to know this before you get Accutane. Even though I haven't taken it and thus only know what I have read, there apparently seems to be some kind of connection and you need to be closely "watched" while you are taking it.

I guess you need to ask yourself where the "No enjoying life ^ _ ^" in your signature comes from. Is it your acne or a general unhappyness? If it is the acne, then you need to tell your dermatologist. If it is life in general, you need to see other people. Most importantly: DO IT and BE HONEST!

One of the reasons why I switched derms was so as to get accutane because my previous derm didn't. My current derm did gave me something else at first but after 3 months, it seems like it was not working so I was finally given accutane. My current derm didn't put me through those topicals or oral medication that I had taken previously so its quite unlikely your new doctor will be also.

Wow Doriang, you are very thoughtful to of analysed all of this. I didn't want to put pictures up because i'm really shy. Acne has effected me more emotionally than physically due to having some success with retinoids but I still have the mentality that my acne is really bad. My dad reassures me that it isn't all the time which is a good thing but I forget pretty much 20 minutes later.

I do have some depression but I will start treatment at the beginning of the summer holidays so my mum and dad will be around for the whole first 4 months of treatment to monitor me. My dad is especially paranoid about the side effects, as his work colleague's daughter started self-harming after six weeks of roaccutane and had to be taken off and is still like this now.

I had my appointment today and I got it, huzzah! I only wanted to pull out the emotional guns if she refused it, but there wasn't much of a struggle. This is weird because now I think my skin is really bad which it isn't, so I just tell myself that she is just a really nice sympathetic derm.

I have to go for a blood test before my next appointment in 5 weeks and then I will get my first months supply. Great success!

i was in the same position as you were..he didnt make me go through the whole process again..since he had my records and they had what iv used for acne..so it was useless to do it over again..i got my treatment(sotret) quite soon