Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
adc23

Spiro, wondering if i should start it

So a little backround and i've posted here before and in other sections. But i'm 23 and have had acne since the age of 13. I did accutane at 16 and it helped so i just used proactive while in college. When i ended school about 2 years ago i broke out again and as you can see from my sig i'm on meds/topicals. Nothing has helped, even the 3 photodynamic therapy treatments that i did in december and january.

I am on yaz and i really think this is hormonal. Week 1 and part of Week 2 my skin is clear and the last 2 weeks especially week 3 its a mess. So on that note can anyone give me info on spiro (i have read past posts) would this be something that could work for me? My acne is mostly on my chin and some on my cheeks (ughhh). I'll be going to my derm on the 30th and need to ask for spiro or accutane, but i would like to give this a try before doing accutane again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

So a little backround and i've posted here before and in other sections. But i'm 23 and have had acne since the age of 13. I did accutane at 16 and it helped so i just used proactive while in college. When i ended school about 2 years ago i broke out again and as you can see from my sig i'm on meds/topicals. Nothing has helped, even the 3 photodynamic therapy treatments that i did in december and january.

I am on yaz and i really think this is hormonal. Week 1 and part of Week 2 my skin is clear and the last 2 weeks especially week 3 its a mess. So on that note can anyone give me info on spiro (i have read past posts) would this be something that could work for me? My acne is mostly on my chin and some on my cheeks (ughhh). I'll be going to my derm on the 30th and need to ask for spiro or accutane, but i would like to give this a try before doing accutane again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Well actually my sig hasn't been updated in a while, yes the taz is a cream and i leave it on longer i just can't sleep with it on. It makes me feel greasy. I've tried many times and i do occasionally just not every night. Can i ask you what dosage you are on and any significant side effects for the spiro. I also appreciate your feedback on Neutrogena, thats good to know i will switch to cetaphil. Can you recommend a certain kind so i know what to buy? I will go this weekend. Thanks again.

Well actually my sig hasn't been updated in a while, yes the taz is a cream and i leave it on longer i just can't sleep with it on. It makes me feel greasy. I've tried many times and i do occasionally just not every night. Can i ask you what dosage you are on and any significant side effects for the spiro. I also appreciate your feedback on Neutrogena, thats good to know i will switch to cetaphil. Can you recommend a certain kind so i know what to buy? I will go this weekend. Thanks again.

I just gave this advice to another woman on these boards - SPIRO, SPIRO, SPIRO. I had acne from puberty until last year - age 32. That's almost 20 years of nothing working. I tried everything except accutane and did not want to go there. Dan's regimen worked, sort of, but I still kept breaking out in cycles, in the same places, and realized it had to be hormonal.

TRY SPIRO:

-Start with lowest dose - gets you accustomed and keeps any minor side effects to a minimum

-Don't stop, take every single dose on time

-Increase dose gradually as your derm directs - 100 mg/day is doing it for me

-Be patient! Cannot emphasize that enough. It took me 5-6 months to be really truly clear, but I did see improvement after 1-2.

Now I have "normal people" skin, and hair too - no grease! The best part? I wash with Cetaphil twice a day, and moisturize - that's all. A dab of Dan's BP gel in the AM too, but I think that's just habit & I could actually go without.

So, if it starts to work for you, throw everything else into the garbage. THAT feels great, let me tell you!

thanks for your advice, i think i will ask for it. I'll be honest my derm and i have talked about it but she seems to mention how once i stop using it, the acne will come back. Anyways i guess i'm asking what the long term effects are? It sounds great and i think this is the way to go. thanks again.

So i was prescribed 50mg yesterday, so begins the spiro treatment. cross your fingers for me.

So i was prescribed 50mg yesterday, so begins the spiro treatment. cross your fingers for me.

Does it matter when you take it (morning or night) and if it should be taken with food? I'm nervous and excited, took my first dose last night!

I've been on spiro for a week and a half, and my oil has reduced by 80%. My skin is clear apart from red marks. I really don't know why I waited so long - I've been wasting so much time. If it continues to work (fingers crossed) then it's a cure, finally.

Not to be a downer, but Spiro may not be an immediate miracle for everyone. Just thought I should post that here because I feel like I have read so many posts promising near-instant results and that is not always the case. Many people (like me!) have experienced pretty bad initial breakouts---mine is stilling going on 1.5 months in. I am sticking with it, and hope that it is a miracle for me as it has been for many others. But just wanted to put this out there so that anyone who tries it does not get really down and depressed (like i have been) if it doesn't start working right away. This drug can apparently take a few months (up to six) to see real consistent positive results. I am going to stick with it and hope the time and committment pay off-- it's my last chance really. Good luck.

I just wanted to include an update. I'm on 50Mmg of spiro plus yaz so 75mg all together. i'll see my derm on thursday and will ask for an increase in my dosage. Knock on wood but i see a change in that i didnt break out as much this month, but it is only 4.5 weeks on spiro. Keep your fingers crossed please.

So i saw my derm last thursday and she upped me to 100mg. So we shall see, should i still see changes from 3 months since i started (may 1st) or since my increased dosage? I hope it's since i started and figure it would be but just wanted to ask? Thanks a bunch!

Not to be a downer, but Spiro may not be an immediate miracle for everyone. Just thought I should post that here because I feel like I have read so many posts promising near-instant results and that is not always the case. Many people (like me!) have experienced pretty bad initial breakouts---mine is stilling going on 1.5 months in. I am sticking with it, and hope that it is a miracle for me as it has been for many others. But just wanted to put this out there so that anyone who tries it does not get really down and depressed (like i have been) if it doesn't start working right away. This drug can apparently take a few months (up to six) to see real consistent positive results. I am going to stick with it and hope the time and committment pay off-- it's my last chance really. Good luck.

I'm sorry that you're feeling bad. Hang in there! I had a bad IB & by around the 2 month mark I started to see consistent improvements. You're just about out of the woods.

I went to the derm last week & told her it's so great & she said stay the course- 75mg spiro, ziana gel (am), duac (pm). This week I am broken out. Hairline zits- I have been running more & it's hot as hades. Plus pms'ing so I hope it'll go away fast.