Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jess1228

Ladies, do you build muscle easily?

Ladies ONLY: Do you build muscles easily?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Do you build muscles easily?

• Yes
    • No

I am wondering for those of us with hormonal acne if we have the ability to build muscle easier than the average woman due to higher testosterone levels. I have not noticed a difference, but I have been on spironolactone and BCP since I was 14/15. I am wondering when I slowly taper off spiro if I will notice an increase in muscle mass (I weight train with heavy weights three times a week).

Edited by Wynne
added poll

I am wondering for those of us with hormonal acne if we have the ability to build muscle easier than the average woman due to higher testosterone levels. I have not noticed a difference, but I have been on spironolactone and BCP since I was 14/15. I am wondering when I slowly taper off spiro if I will notice an increase in muscle mass (I weight train with heavy weights three times a week).

i think so, i had an unusual amount of upper body strenght, and it has decreased since takign spiro. i can only bench about half of what i used to be able to.

it was near impossible for me to gain muscle on spiro, at least like i'd used to. i was always a little bloated and chubby on it, to my disappointment, even if I did an hour of cardio one day and then weight training the next continuously

I absolutely think the higher testosterone levels make it easier to build muscle and stay leaner. I haven't noticed a decrease in strength capabilities... still very strong, for a girl. ha ha! I've been on spiro for 18 months.

Thanks everyone for the responses... so very interesting! I can't wait to see if I will build muscle easier once I start tapering off (I just feel like I have been on it too long and want to manage my symptoms with diet and natural supplements). I feel like it is SO hard for me to build muscle. I've always blamed it on my long limbs, which I am sure contribute, but can't be all of it.

Would love to hear from others as well! I meant to make this a poll but obviously screwed up the process somehow... :rolleyes:

Hmm, this is an interesting question and it seems logical that a decrease in androgen might also cause a decrease in muscle mass - or ones ability to build muscle. But I have been on spiro for about 10 months now and I have seen no difference in my muscle tone or strength. I run, hike, and workout regularly and haven't changed my routine since starting spiro and I feel and look exactly the same now as I did a year ago. Except that now I don't have acne!

Jess, I have long limbs too. It is physically harder for us to build muscle. For me this is especially true in my arms where my wing span is longer than my 5'9" body height! I am 37 years old and have never been able to do a pull-up. I find that doing boxing-inspired exercises like speedbag workouts are more effective for me and my ridiculously long arms than body building-style weight training/lifting.

Well according to my derm, spiro only blocks your hormones from affecting your skin. It doesn't change the levels in your body. So, if that's true, I don't think muscle mass or your ability to build it should be affected. I've been on spiro 9 or 10 months and haven't noticed a difference, and I work out 3 times a week.

Well according to my derm, spiro only blocks your hormones from affecting your skin. It doesn't change the levels in your body. So, if that's true, I don't think muscle mass or your ability to build it should be affected. I've been on spiro 9 or 10 months and haven't noticed a difference, and I work out 3 times a week.

Thanks for adding the poll! Also, thank you, Test Tube, for the detailed explanation. Much better than I could have written :)

before i was on any type of BC pill i was really quick to bulk up and build muscle. Now i am LOTS thinner, and a weakling. i've been told its because i've had mono (years ago)...but who really knows. My energy level is like...blah now. very interesting poll!