Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

One tablet Bactrim DS daily

Has almost completely eliminated my acne

No breakouts in 12 weeks. Heck, I'd go so far as to say no acne in 12 weeks. I had a pretty nasty red boil/abscess next to my lip but it was so painful that it didn't appear to be acne-related.

The question is, is it healthy to be on Bactrim for this long?

I'm coming up on one year now.

I've read that Bactrim DS is actually used for prophylaxis in HIV+ patients. Should I be on something so potent? Does this open the road for antibiotic-resistance in the future for me?

Well, there are positives and negatives.

Yes, HIV patients are on long-term Bactrim therapy. I've seen it taken for years. Bactrim is a sulfa drug. There are other types of antibiotics that can be used (like cillins or cephalosporins), so it shouldn't be too much of a resistence problem. I think you pose less of a societal risk than all those people who insist that their doctors prescribe an antibiotic when they get ill (probably with a virus).

I am on it, but only 3 days a week and I have not had any cysts for about a month now. I got one small pimple this morning and it has me wondering if I should start taking it every day? Perhaps I am becoming resistant?? I will ask my Dr at my appt at the end of May.