Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
favre4

more prominent in men or women

Does it affect men or women more or the same? does it get less severe with time? aslo, please list your age, sex, and how long you have suffered from it...

I'm not sure exactly. Just based on what I have seen, it seems it affects adult women more than adult men. I don't have any statistics to back that up, just an observation. Could be due to hormones- monthly cycle/menopause.

I am 24F- will be 25 in a few weeks and have had problems since I was about 19. Although, from the time I was 15-18 or 19 I was on birth control pills, so it may have masked the problem.

Mine has gotten more severe in the past few months (ironically, around the time I quit smoking cigarettes). When I was 20 I saw a dermatologist and had it somewhat under control. I only saw the doc for about a year and after that had good and bad months. I recently went back to a doctor and got Retin-A and BCP.

Basically, it hasn't consistently gotten better or more severe. Its sort of been all over the place for me.

Women, because they put more crap on their faces. However, acne seems to show no mercy to teenage boys.

In adults, I remember reading that it affects about 25% of men, and about 50% of women--mostly due to the greater hormone fluctuations. Women's hormones fluctuate more during the normal monthly cycle, pregnancy, breastfeeding, and as they approach and go through menopause.

I'm 30 yrs old, and have had acne for about 18 yrs--since around 12 yrs old. Nothing has helped long-term. Good luck.

Women, because they put more crap on their faces. However, acne seems to show no mercy to teenage boys.

:rolleyes: Dont make that kind of stereotype. Not all women put too much crap on their faces and acne is more complicated than that.

I think its more prominent in adult women because we have periods

:rolleyes: Dont make that kind of stereotype. Not all women put too much crap on their faces and acne is more complicated than that.

I think its more prominent in adult women because we have periods

Women wear makeup. More chances for clogging and irritation.

I know some guys that wear make up too...for the sake of hiding their faces. I NEVER wore make up in high school and my senior year I started breaking out real bad. My mom never took me to see a derm and I had to face it on my own with various scrubs and what not. I finally got to the point where hiding it seemed to be my only solution to not suffer from a low self esteem. The ONLY reason I wore make up was to cover up what was already there...there are so many girls and women out there without acne that wear tons of make up so you really have nothing to back this statement up.