Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sharkiez

I need carbs....

Hi there, I've been on a no-carb diet for a couple of weeks and I would really like to reintroduce carbs back into my diet cause I'm afraid of the long-term effect this will have on my health. I do not know what kind of carbs to eat. Could you suggest to me some good sources of carbs? I love white rice but I understand that it might me unhealthy. Bread is the most convenient source but I've heard people say that it's evil...I'm really confused...

BTW I'm really really craving these right now (and I know they aren't good)

Potato Chips

Jamba Juice

Hot Dog

Pizza

Life is tough....

A no carb diet isn't really healthy at all. A LOW carb diet will help acne, but you shouldn't be going into ketosis or anything like that. A good goal would be just enough carbs to prevent that from happening, and you can add more slowly as you find your breaking point. Whole grains can be good or bad. It is best to eliminate them at first since many people find the gluten hard to break down which can cause an inflammatory response. Basically, if the no carb diet cleared you up, try adding a slice a whole wheat bread and waiting a few days to see if it triggers a reaction. IF it doesn't, than it may have been the carb content of your previous diet that was breaking you out, and not the gluten. For carb sources, essentially any non starchy vegetable is fair game. Avoid potatoes, yams, limit your intake of eggplant and carrots. Fruits that aren't too rich in sugar are ok. Apples are usually ok since they have tons of fiber, and berries also have a good sugar to fiber ratio. Stay away from bananas, fruit juices, most dried fruits or anything that tastes as sweet as a candy.

Another strategy is to eat your sugars/starches with protein or fat to lower the GI index. Some people breakout from the sudden spike in insulin, and if thats the case this strategy will help. For others, it doesn't matter what they eat it with, its the overall number of carbs they consume which breaks them out.

If you have a hankering for some grains, brown rice is generally considered the safest. My naturopath said it is unlikely that the protein in the rice will give you problems since its easily digestible, but some people still may have trouble with the overall carb content.

Danny had a good post about dieting in general. If you have been really good on your diet, allow yourself to cheat a little bit to get the craving out of the way, then get back on board. Don't overdue it, but if you are out with friends, allow yourself a slice of pizza. If you are to stringent with a diet, it really is only a matter of time before you snap and throw the diet out the window.

Another idea that may allow some buffer is to add some supplements in to your regimen. If carbs are your trigger, consider supplements like fish oil, brewers yeast, chromium, cinnamon, lipoic acid, green tea or other insulin sensitizers. I don't do it myself, but having a fiber supplement on hand could be useful if you accidentally eat something with alot of carbs, taking a fiber supplement probably would help minimize the damage.

Hi there, I've been on a no-carb diet for a couple of weeks and I would really like to reintroduce carbs back into my diet cause I'm afraid of the long-term effect this will have on my health. I do not know what kind of carbs to eat. Could you suggest to me some good sources of carbs? I love white rice but I understand that it might me unhealthy. Bread is the most convenient source but I've heard people say that it's evil...I'm really confused...

BTW I'm really really craving these right now (and I know they aren't good)

Potato Chips

Jamba Juice

Hot Dog

Pizza

Life is tough....

Peanut butter has some carbs, but it is mostly protein and fat so it is pretty low GI. The banana and toast are probably worse in that regard. Peanut butter is sketchy since the protein might trigger an allergic reaction. My naturopath said due to the processing you might also have to worry about aflotoxin as well. He says that only occurs with peanuts, and any other nut butter is generally a better choice. Personally, I LOVE almond butter and prefer it to peanut butter anyway.

Try some good cooked vegetables. If you don't want to go too high carb, stay away from roots and tubers like potatoes.

You could even try some rice if you want to, but just watch out and see how it affects you.

I would try to stay away from processed food, no matter how much you crave it. Try to satisfy your cravings with real food.

If your having success with a low carb diet theres no reason to start eating bread because your afraid of ketosis. Starchy tubers like carrots, sweet potatoes, and yams are a much healthier source of carbohydrates than whole wheat bread or peanut butter. If your eating tubers the chance of you going to ketosis is slim to none.

Going shopping in about a couple of hours so keep the suggestions coming!! Going to Trader's Joe

I'm thinking of :

Some potatoes and carrots to boil.

They sell gluten free products don't they?

some veggie chips to get my cravings out of the way. (they have veggie oil I think :()

so bread is a real no, no? Is there gluten-free bread?

How about some cereal I can find at trader joe? I have almond milk so that would be a pretty good source of carbs?

I've read Danny's post and it's mainly about how much carbs to take and not what kind of carbs...

Also, how about a bottle of Odwala juice? I know it has a lot of sugar but that could be my carbs for a day right?

Anyone can recommend me the best potato chips?

I saw in that thread above that pasta is ok? Any specific brands?

What is the best type of bread to buy? Is sourdough ok?

Hey, I think you're on the right track! But instead of the veggie chips, why don't you do a little compromise and get some brown rice bread instead? Not white rice bread, however, because it falls apart very easily. Allow yourself to have 1/2 a slice or 1 slice a couple times a week max (if you feel you can handle it), to bury those cravings (instead of the veggie chips). If you really want something sweet, try cooking a green granny smith apple in some olive oil or ghee. You can add cinnamon, but even just plain, cooked apples taste really wonderful. However, I would not start getting into cereal and all of that. Just try and stick to basics (no potato chips...unless you make them yourself and limit yourself as well): meat, veggies (increase some starchy veggies like carrots and yams), brown rice bread, apples, etc.

Peanut butter is carb-full, I think. Lately I've been eating peanut butter/banana on toast. INCREDIBLY TASTY.

Peanut butter is carb-full, I think. Lately I've been eating peanut butter/banana on toast. INCREDIBLY TASTY.

really? I've been eating peanut butter on toast, how'd you put banana on it? :) I love banana so wanna try this!

Hey Danny, what kind of yogurt do you recommend? I love Yoplait but there is 20+ g of sugar and it has HFCS.

Also, bread is still a no no?

IMO white rice is actually healthier than brown rice since it is so much easier to digest. It's not like your going to base your diet around rice. A small amount is fine as long as you eat alot of nutrient dense food to buffer it.

I think Dannys list looks pretty good. I would choose these items from his list:

carrots

pumpkin

tursnip

juicy fruits

honey

sweet potatoes

wild rice

sweet corn

baby peas

yogurt (if you tolerate probiotics and such)

sprouts

lentils

potatoes

I went shopping and bought some of the stuff mentioned. Should I cook the carrots or eat them raw?

This is my lunch today:

0.7 pounds ground beef

1 big bowl of salad

1 big bowl of strawberry

2 slices of sourdough bread

I went shopping and bought some of the stuff mentioned. Should I cook the carrots or eat them raw?

This is my lunch today:

0.7 pounds ground beef

1 big bowl of salad

1 big bowl of strawberry

2 slices of sourdough bread

I would be more concerned about the health impacts of not staying on a low carb diet long term... Also ketosis is not harmful nor unnatural in any way..

Theres still not many convenient recommendations here, it ain't always the go to peel boil bake some damn vegies for a quick carb fix. Canned beans in moderation is alright.

I would be more concerned about the health impacts of not staying on a low carb diet long term... Also ketosis is not harmful nor unnatural in any way..