Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey guys,

I've been on Accutane for one month now, and for two weeks I've had really bad cramps in my back. The cramps are located in the lower/middle section, right where my kidneys are. I've tried to find research on what could be going on, but haven't found anything. My mom is concerned, my husband is concerned, and I hurt! Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks so much!

SarahBeth

:eh:

Hey guys,

I've been on Accutane for one month now, and for two weeks I've had really bad cramps in my back. The cramps are located in the lower/middle section, right where my kidneys are. I've tried to find research on what could be going on, but haven't found anything. My mom is concerned, my husband is concerned, and I hurt! Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks so much!

SarahBeth

:eh:

I wonder why that is. I would think it has something to do with water, since it's in our kidneys. I hope that's not a dumb hypothesis.

This might be a silly question, but are you drinking plenty of water? I mean, are you also drinking coffee, tea, diet sodas, or the like? Try drinking nothing but water as hard as it may be and see if that makes a difference.

I am now experiencing (along with the mid/low back pain) hot/cold flashes, chills, extreme thirst, dark urine, shakiness and trembling, and a low grade fever. My husband wanted to take me into the ER tonight but I thought it would be too expensive, so I'm going around 8 to urgent care. I'm going to try to find out if this is a kidney infection, a normal urinary tract infection, or just extreme dehydration. I'll let you all know the results because this is definitely not fun and I have a feeling it's related to the Accutane, though I'm not positive. I've been on it for a month and have had pain in my back for two weeks or so. Just a warning about back pain!

Those are indeed symptoms of dehydration. I hope it's not an infection. I'm glad you're going to get it checked out!

Siava, you were right. I was just dehydrated. Saw the doctor today and she said I may have some minor allergic reactions, but that the outcome of Accutane would far outweigh the petty things I'm going through right now. Thanks! :cool:

I'm done with my accutane course now, but I used to always get a very, very sore back.

I wouldn't always notice it while standing up, but every time I laid down I could feel it relaxing so much it hurt to a certain degree.

Anyway, I'm off now, and the pain has definitely subsided, almost gone. Hope that helps.

Siava, you were right. I was just dehydrated. Saw the doctor today and she said I may have some minor allergic reactions, but that the outcome of Accutane would far outweigh the petty things I'm going through right now. Thanks! :cool:

Even though dehydration is harmful enough, I'm glad it wasn't an infection. Phew! I hope your family is relieved. I bet you are.

Even though dehydration is harmful enough, I'm glad it wasn't an infection. Phew! I hope your family is relieved. I bet you are.

Thanks, Wynne! Wow, I learned more from that one post than my trip to the doctor's office. Thanks for helping explain things. So I guess I don't really need to see a chiropractor, then, if my back pain is caused by the infection do you think?

No, I don't think you need to see a chiropractor. :) Are you feeling better? I sure hope so! UTIs make one feel HORRIBLE sometimes. You can take an over the counter pain reliever like ibuprofen if your doctor said it was ok for you to take while on Accutane. If you got an antibiotic for the UTI, please be sure to take ALL of it as prescribed to kill that bug dead.

If you do NOT start to feel much better within 4 days of starting the antibiotic and continue to have intermittent fevers, please go BACK to the urgent care place for a urine culture. The antibiotic you got may not have been the right kind for the bug you have. Most UTIs are caused by e.coli so generally the antibiotics used are Cipro, Septra, Macrobid and some others. If a culture wasn't done (and it's not really necessary as empiric treatment is cheaper for the patient!), the doc won't know for sure which antibiotic is the one to use. They usually pick an antibiotic that is broad-spectrum and thus will kill a wide range of bugs.

PS: If the back pain continues, I'd recommend an orthopedist, not a chiropractor, because of your scoliosis diagnosis.

Good luck! :)

Hey I also have a mild scoliosis of the spine which causes me back pain when I sit for long amounts of time. I f you do decide to seek medical help with it I can only recommend that you see a physiotherapist simply because I saw various osteopaths and chiropractors over the years about once a month and it was really expensive but never had lasting effects. However, two trips to a physio and she gave me excercises that took 5 mins a day to strengthen the muscles and take the strain of the ones that were holding me up on one side and I have been mostly pain free for years!

Physical therapists are also great resources. (My husband's one. I'm an RN.)