Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi, I saw my dermatologist today and he put on accutane (40mg) He gave a prescription, but told me to wait before going to get it because I need to take a blood test which I will do tomorrow. He also prescribed me "Cyclocort Cream 30g (for face)" and "Cyclocort ointment 30g"

I searched a little bit and if I understand correctly Cyclocort is a "Corticosteroid" But I don't understand why he prescribed that. Has anyone used those medications and/or know what they are for?

Thanks.

What do the instructions on the tubes of steroid read, or what exactly does the prescription say?

I've heard of people using steroid creams to treat red hyper-pigmentation. Well, one of my friends. Her skin wasn't even that bad as well.

I didn't buy the meds yet. On the prescription it's just written "2) Cyclocort Cream to face 30g 3)Cyclocort Ointment to lips 30g" (The first med on the list is accutane)

Searched around the forum, seems that it's not good to use for a long period (my dermatologist said nothing about this) of time and some people get more acne for it >=0

I don't know if I should get this med...

Doctors are supposed to write not only the medication and where it is applied, but how often and for how long, for example, Steroid cream small amount topically to face once a day for 5 days.

I would suggest NOT getting the steroid. Your derm may have prescribed it for the initial breakout, but we'd never know as those instructions aren't made clear. It would be safer to use ice for the swelling unless you do have severe nodulocystic acne, in which case a short term oral or topical steroid might be ok. (And I mean SEVERE, not moderate-severe.)