Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WaxMechaniK

Skin oil/sebum/sweat makes my eyes burn!

Hello there

I have had this problem for a very long time now. I tend to get very oily skin in certain and sometimes random places on my face, and often my eyes will start to irritate and as you naturally do, you try to rub them, only gently of course, but it ends up giving me a nasty burning sensation.

It seems that the skin around my eyes and on my eyelids gets quite oily.

Just to let you know, I also clearly have lots of tiny milia spots underneath my eyes which have been there for years and regularly have tired, sensitive eyes. I have also suffered with quite mild acne on my face and back for years and I would probably guess I have combination skin. I also have a sebaceous cyst on my neck which is going to be removed soon.

I was wondering if this is normal and if anyone else has suffered from this and has any advice on how to possibly relieve this burning-eye problem.

Thanks!

I've had the same exact problem. I thought I was weird because I didn't know anyone else dealing with this.

I think the only thing you can do is keep your face clean very consistently. I hear most people say to wash your face only twice a day because you don't want to irritate your skin, but for people like you and me I think we have to wash at least three times a day. By mid-day is when the sweat/oil/eye issue begins for me, and if I wash my face it's all good.

I think that's all we can do.

Do you guys have any updates to this? I am going through the same problem. It seems as if I don't wash my face with a cleanser or anything the day before, my eyes are fine. BUt if I use any type of facial cleansers the day before, my eyes burn around 5 o'clock. So, I am guessing that maybe the cleanser left on top of my skin starts to slowly fall down towards my eyes.

Do you guys also experience pain in your eyes when you cry sometimes?

I have had this problem for a long time also. I notice it when my skin becomes oily. Usually if you use a strong facial wash it will dry out your skin and if you don't use a good moisturizer your skin will try to over compensate for the lost moisture. You should try using a milder soap on your face and use a toner afterwards with a really good moisturizer. It's hard to find a good facial cleansing regime and can be expensive. But, when my eyes start to burn it always helps to wash the oil out of my eyes because touching or rubbing them in any way always makes it worse. You can also consult with a dermatologist. I believe there is medication out there to help control over acting sebum (which is what the oil produced by your face is called). I don't think there is any reason to be worried about this problem, it's really common and can be controled.

I have the same problem. My eye doctor told me to use baby shampoo on my eyes in the mornings and before bed; it does help.

I have had this problem for a long time also. I notice it when my skin becomes oily. Usually if you use a strong facial wash it will dry out your skin and if you don't use a good moisturizer your skin will try to over compensate for the lost moisture.

How does it "over compensate" for the lost moisture?

Hi all,

I get this too and I wash my face and moisturize religiously (2x a day with multiple moisturizers and toners for bad adult acne). I have been wondering if it isn't caused by having too acidic of a diet because I get this problem intermittantly regardless of what I do to cleanse (or not cleanse) my face. I haven't been able to figure out if it's getting worse now because I live in the desert and it's bloody hot and making me sweat more, or if it is flaring again because I'm eating too acidic of a diet again.

I get the burning terribly whether I touch my eyes or not. Tears definitely exacerbate the issue. It seems like it is related to the skin oil because I will see that my eye glasses need to be cleaned and they will cause my eyes to burn too until I get the oil off the lenses.

I would love to know what the cause of this crap is so I can make it stop.

Magpie

I get this too. Incredible random eye stinging, usually in early afternoon especially when playing golf or driving home.

It sounds crazy but i always seem to get the incredible eye stinging and watering at the end of my golf rounds or when driving home from work. It doesnt happen often (tends to happen weekly over a month period, then goes for a couple of months) , but when it does it feels like acid has been poured in them.

I dont have acne at all,but my skin can get oily on my face. I have sebbheroic dermatitis on my face at times too. Glad to read im not the only one.

Also, i never use any products on my face, only irritates it, and when i play golf the sunscreen is always below my eyes. The eye stinging usually lasts for around 2 minutes and there doesnt appear to be anything i can do to stop it once it starts.

I get this too. Incredible random eye stinging, usually in early afternoon especially when playing golf or driving home.

It sounds crazy but i always seem to get the incredible eye stinging and watering at the end of my golf rounds or when driving home from work. It doesnt happen often (tends to happen weekly over a month period, then goes for a couple of months) , but when it does it feels like acid has been poured in them.

I dont have acne at all,but my skin can get oily on my face. I have sebbheroic dermatitis on my face at times too. Glad to read im not the only one.

Also, i never use any products on my face, only irritates it, and when i play golf the sunscreen is always below my eyes. The eye stinging usually lasts for around 2 minutes and there doesnt appear to be anything i can do to stop it once it starts.

I used to have this same issue.... Turned out it was the moisturizer I was using. It had a sunscreen in it, and I would hurriedly apply it too close to my eyes/eyelids/eyebrows. By the afternoon or end of the day I could hardly keep my eyes opened they burned so bad. I went through this for months before I realized it was the sunscreen in my moisturizer. Don't know if that's the case for anyone here, but it was truly that simple for me....