Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I got an issue of scientific magazine last Sunday and they were talking about this new disorder called Body Dysmorphia Disorder.

---Well it talks about how people are obsessed with a certain flaw that is on them. Some of them spend hours in front of the mirror cursing this flaw..and others would do anything to get rid of this flaw including suicide and plastic surgery.

*They say that people with this disorder usually have perception problems. They tend to see things more in depth and more detailed (zooming in on the flaws). It mentioned one little sentence about people with acne. Many of acne sufferers also suffer from this disorder.

--It is usually often misdiagnosed because BDD creates other problems making BDD off the chart as a problem. Some of the "symptoms" includes depression (DUHHH!!!) EATING DISORDERS, sleep problems, SECLUSION FROM ZEE VORLD and etc.

most of the time BDD can be treated ( through therapy, and anti-depressants)...

But i thought this was interesting so i thought i share with you guys.........what are your thoughts on it??

Yeah, actually there was this one girl in my high school who had this. She had the prettiest face, nicest body, best singing voice, art talent, and reasonably flawless skin.

But, she'd always spend half of her conversations talking about how ugly she looks, how she has no talent, etc. etc. At first, a lot of people thought she was just fishing for compliments, but later, we realized she was actually believing the stuff she was saying and getting depressed over it (and not eating, because she thought she was overweight, when in reality, she was one of the skinniest girls in our school).

I think its a form of an mental ailment, very serious in crippling the patient's daily life. I mean, from having seen that friend, I saw how this one thing stripped away all of her confidence, and without confidence or self esteem, there was just a hollow, scared person unable to do anything by herself.

Anyhow, I do hope more doctors are able to catch the development of this illness in teens before it affects them. I also do hope the best for that friend.

It's so hard to diagnose, people are usually too embarrassed to say something

like "oh it's my chin shape that depresses me", they're afraid to get shot down.

It's weird to look in the mirror and wanna rip your face off :( But I don't have

BDD, I don't spend hours hating my face in the mirror, just like ... one :shrug:

Its not a new disorder, but if you have just heard it then its new to you. its a really sad disorder, I have it. I have good days and bad days. if your interested in a website, its called Bdd central. I even caught them talking about this disorder on talk shows like Dr.phil and I think oprah was another one.

sorry guys i didn't mean to say new as in we finally found out about this..i meant new in the term as they don't know much about it.......

---it's really interesting though..

Uh huh - that old fall back position for plastic surgeons etc who can't deal with their own ineptitude :angry: . I'd better watch out or I could (and will ;) ) rant endlessly about this stuff.

I do believe that Body Dismorphic Disorder exists (a perfect example being the very pretty, talented girl mentioned in an earlier post who thought she was ugly when all evidence would seem to contradict this perception). And I completely sympathise with everybody that has it. However I don't think this term should be thrown around too loosely. Let me tell you a story. It's not just my skin I have issues with - my features don't thrill me either. I had surgery 20 years ago for a receding chin and an overly prominent nose. Results...? Sloppy at best - people thought I'd been in a car accident even a couple of years after everything had settled down. These f*@%ers were meant to be experts (one was/is a maxillofacial surgeon, the other a very well-respected plastic surgeon) but any attention to detail and, ummm, symmetry seemed to be an afterthought :dry:

I first heard the term BDD from another plastic surgeon many years ago when I was trying to get things redone and fixed. It just so happened that this guy was a very good friend of the surgeons who messed me up. It was as clear as all get out that my face didn't look right (mirror, photos, comments, rejection by every female I dared to ask out...) but he tried to blame my perception instead of admitting that his colleagues had messed up - this cute trick has been tried by a couple of other plastic surgeons who I've seen very recently who also happen to be pals with my 'butcher(s)'. As George Michael said 'some mistakes were built to last'...

So my point is that if someone says you have BDD take it with a grain of salt. I've seen two shrinks about this and neither gave me a positive diagnosis of BDD. End of sermon :silenced: .

Mind you, I do spend hours in front of the mirror each day...

Yeah sometimes it feels like they think they can dismiss people by saying

they have BDD. I was (perhaps) overly lamenting my skin and my doctor

just goes "Well that's the Dysmorphia talking" :rolleyes: Really? Well, I'm

not blind.

In BDD books they say "In laymens' terms it is sometimes referred

to as the 'disease of imagined ugliness.'" :shock:

not blind.

not blind.

I'm pleased you agree with me. I've done a lot of research into BDD and I seem to have pretty much every symptom - and I'll admit in a very flattering light I can be mistaken for being handsome... but in other circumstances I look terrible. And over the years my face has been labelled 'angelic', 'hideous', 'twisted', 'gorgeous', 'craggy', 'wrecked', etc. etc. These are the perceptions of other people and the weird thing is they are all true.

Psychs say that BDD is becoming more prevalent because of the media bombarding us with images of beautiful people blah, blah, blah. Bullshit. Physical beauty has always been very important to we humans - it means desirable genes, health etc. So not only do I have to cope with the massive task of fixing my face but I also have to deal with some moron with a couple of letters after his/her name telling me both a) "yes, you're right; there are things wrong with your face" then, in the next breath, b) "you've got this syndrome of imagined ugliness" :| Phew! I'm exhausted :cry:

wow..your guys experience has really opened my eyes to this......

----do you guys take any pills to help it or do you just go to a therapist??

I have BDD. It is actually caused from the brain and how it works. People who have this disorder have problems with perception. The brain does not see the whole picture the way it actually is and has a tendency to fill in the blanks in often a negative way. If you think about it a lot of people have this disorder in reverse... they think they look much better than they really do.

People with BDD can't see what others see it not because they choose not to. It's a true disorder that most people don't understand.

So please if you meet someone who may have this choose what you say carefully. Some people DO fake it occasionally trying to fish for compliments. They are just full of shit but the others truely can't help it.

But what if a person REALLY is ugly and knows it? Then it can't be Body Dsymorphia Disorder, can it? It's just acceptance then.

Im not trying to get sympathy or anything, but I am ugly, and it does bother me, but I don't think its BDD or anything. People, even strangers, have called me ugly. Ha ha. Now I have a response. "I'm not ugly, penisbreath, you just have BDD!"

One of the most common things you'll hear from a person with BDD is "i'm not wrong. i really am ugly." It's very real when you have it, and the thought that you might not be as you see in the mirror seems insane. I have BDD and I still question daily whether what I see when I look at myself is reality. I wonder what everyone else sees when they look at me. It's frustrating.

ninja you are cuter than a bug's button

i wonder how you thought about bdd

Wow im glad I came here, I'm not sure but I think I may have this disorder (says my b/f anyways) he says I overreact because if I get 1 pimple I dont want to leave the house and I try to hide my face with my hair, and well I.... think maybe the rest is kinda gross so maybe its best I not talk about that but i think the word bulimia would sum it up.. yeah i know really bad but I stoped and its been a few years so ya know. I really am going to look into that book though cause my b/f wants me to stop calling myself fat, hes really getting mad now when I say it, so maybe this will help our relationship. Thanks for the info!!!!!!

Anyone who is interested in this disorder of want's to find out more read

'The Broken Mirror' by Katharine A. Phillips. Has helped me quite a lot.