Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi everyone,

I've just joined the forums, though I've been a lurker for the past week or two... like the rest of you, I'm currently engaged in a battle against acne (moderate) and am really interested in trying to refine my diet. I'm now a 23 year old (male), and have struggled with acne for a full decade and I've tried just about every prescription treatment besides accutane. Before I go to that extreme, I really want to try battling it naturally. My diet prior to about a week ago was pretty mediocre, but here's what I've switched to within the past seven days:

Drinks:

Water (approximately a gallon a day; I've been doing that for about a year now)

Rooibos tea

Food:

Fruits(oranges, lemons, grapes, apples, all kinds of berries, etc; I also make frozen smoothies with nothing but fruit and organic orange juice)

Vegetables (I'm no expert in preparing them, though I'm willing to learn; so far I've been snacking on baby carrots, celery with hummus, frozen steamed veggie mixes, raw tomatoes (technically a fruit, I believe), and so forth)

Cereal (just very healthy crushed wheat with raisins)

Salads (Ceaser dressing by Newman's Own, generally with kidney beans and diced cucumber; no iceburg lettuce, just healthier dark greens)

Snacks ('Veggie' chips; pumpkin seeds; dried fruits; are nuts a viable option? Which kinds?)

Supplements:

ACV (two tablespoons, three times a day)

10g of B5

Multivitamin

Regime:

Submerge in warm water for 90 seconds twice a day, zinc containing soap, light moisturizer

Light exercise regime

So that's where I stand right now.... I really, really want to give this a serious shot, so is there anything I need to remove? How about anything I should add (oils, etc)? I'm also struggling with variety in my diet right this sec so any thoughts in that regard are welcome. My budget is not unlimited (I've actually started a minor part-time job even though I'm still finishing up my J.D. just so I'd have money to spend on this attempt), but I'm willing to do what I can.

Thanks in advance for any and all help :)

Cut out all the fruit juices. Go easy on fruit in general and be careful with citrus because some people apparently have an allergy to it that can cause cystic acne. Cut out all the cereal and all grains for that matter if you want to see a quick dramatic improvement, especially wheat. Cut out the dried fruit, that stuff is loaded with fructose in really high concentrations, especially raisins. Veggie chips might be ok if they don't have sugar or vegetable oil on them.

Wheres the meat!?!?

My general opinion on your diet is that if you want to see quick results just eat nothing but veggies and meat with an ample amount of fat. The fat can either come from the meat, or you can add coconut oil or ghee. Any fruit consumption should be very minimal in the beginning and if you don't clear up completely from this diet it should be eliminated as its likely the last culprit hiding in your food. There is a good chance you will have success with this and once you get completely clear and take a month to enjoy the new found freedom of your radiant skin you can start to experiment adding specific foods back into your diet and test to see if they cause you any problems.

There are tons of supplements out there you can take for added benefits, but a quick browse through stickies will tell you all you need to know. Diet is first and foremost the key though. A low gi/ high fat and protein diet is slowly emerging as the optimal way to cure acne. If you want results though you have to take it seriously, otherwise your just playing around and it will take you years to isolate your triggers.

Cut out all the fruit juices. Go easy on fruit in general and be careful with citrus because some people apparently have an allergy to it that can cause cystic acne. Cut out all the cereal and all grains for that matter if you want to see a quick dramatic improvement, especially wheat. Cut out the dried fruit, that stuff is loaded with fructose in really high concentrations, especially raisins. Veggie chips might be ok if they don't have sugar or vegetable oil on them.

Wheres the meat!?!?

My general opinion on your diet is that if you want to see quick results just eat nothing but veggies and meat with an ample amount of fat. The fat can either come from the meat, or you can add coconut oil or ghee. Any fruit consumption should be very minimal in the beginning and if you don't clear up completely from this diet it should be eliminated as its likely the last culprit hiding in your food. There is a good chance you will have success with this and once you get completely clear and take a month to enjoy the new found freedom of your radiant skin you can start to experiment adding specific foods back into your diet and test to see if they cause you any problems.

There are tons of supplements out there you can take for added benefits, but a quick browse through stickies will tell you all you need to know. Diet is first and foremost the key though. A low gi/ high fat and protein diet is slowly emerging as the optimal way to cure acne. If you want results though you have to take it seriously, otherwise your just playing around and it will take you years to isolate your triggers.

Wheres the meat!?!?

Thanks for the quick response!

Losing fruits is going to hurt, but it's something I'm at least willing to try. Again, I'm trying to take the change as seriously as possible. On another fruit issue, I've read that several people recommend adding lemon to your water... is that worth cutting as well, or would there be some merit to it?

In terms of meat, I had originally been under the impression that it should be cut from my diet completely. If I'm supposed to leave some in, what kinds are acceptable? What kinds of preparation?

Thanks again.

Fruit is definitely a complex issue. There are so many different types of fruit with varying degrees of sugar/fructose concentrations that its hard to lump them all into the same category. Low sugar/low gi fruits are definitely the safest of them all. Fruit should be the very last thing you eliminate from your diet when trying to find out what your triggers are. Some people can gorge themselves on bananas all day but if I even eat one it can cause a flareup. I wish this wasn't the case because I really love them, but unfortunately it is for me.

Fruit is definitely a complex issue. There are so many different types of fruit with varying degrees of sugar/fructose concentrations that its hard to lump them all into the same category. Low sugar/low gi fruits are definitely the safest of them all. Fruit should be the very last thing you eliminate from your diet when trying to find out what your triggers are. Some people can gorge themselves on bananas all day but if I even eat one it can cause a flareup. I wish this wasn't the case because I really love them, but unfortunately it is for me.

Losing fruits is going to hurt, but it's something I'm at least willing to try. Again, I'm trying to take the change as seriously as possible. On another fruit issue, I've read that several people recommend adding lemon to your water... is that worth cutting as well, or would there be some merit to it?

In terms of meat, I had originally been under the impression that it should be cut from my diet completely. If I'm supposed to leave some in, what kinds are acceptable? What kinds of preparation?

alternativista - thanks for the comments, especially regarding meat choice and veggie preperation. I've always had a thing for tuna (is that okay?) and I like fish in general, so I'm going to go stock up tomorrow.

This afternoon I found myself staring lustfully at some Garden of Eatin' organic blue corn chips... are these even remotely okay, or should I refrain? Only main ingredients were the blue corn and "expeller pressed canola/safflower/sunflower oil"...

alternativista - thanks for the comments, especially regarding meat choice and veggie preperation. I've always had a thing for tuna (is that okay?) and I like fish in general, so I'm going to go stock up tomorrow.

This afternoon I found myself staring lustfully at some Garden of Eatin' organic blue corn chips... are these even remotely okay, or should I refrain? Only main ingredients were the blue corn and "expeller pressed canola/safflower/sunflower oil"...

I believe that most adult acne has an underlying cause that is related to general health (hormones, food allergies/sensitivities, thyroid, insulin/sugar issues etc).

yeah, wheat and milk products generally cause the problems for most people. Consider adding probiotics in to your regimen somewhere. Either through supplementation, or through your food intake. Some people don't have a problem with cultured dairy, so foods like yogurt and kefir may be ok for you, you will have to try it and see. Low carb diets generally help lower insulin and imflammation. Your carb sources should mainly be fibrous vegetables. Some fruit here and there won't kill you. Having some blueberries mixed with some home made kefir (or soy kefir if milk gives you problems) is a delious way to start the day off right. I would avoid high dose b5 supplementation. It may work for a short term, but it probably throws your body's vitamin balance off kilter and will probably put more stress on your system in the long run. Stick to multivitamin, some fish/flax oil. You can also consider taking digestive supplements with meals, some people show results with that.

I say a healthy balance diet is the best. U need some meat for protein, which in turn help to repair your damaged tissue (the skin), fruits and veggies for Vitamins and Minerals, drink some calcium for your bones (because u are still growing up), and eat whole grains as much as possible.