Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xebag

cracks in corner of mouth

I am not dry much and my lips aren't nearly as bad as they were but I am starting to get cracks in the corners of my mouth that feel like papercuts. It hurts to eat.. I can't even smile. Doc just says use petroleum on them but I am already using aquaphor a few times a day plus chapstick.

Any other ideas?

That was by far the worst side effect i got. Nothing really ever worked for me, i think you just have to let them heal.

I used to get these alot......i'm on my 4th course of accutane at the moment. lip conditioners etc didnt get rid of mine. i used to get them on both sides of my mouth. Its actually an infection, i use kenacomb at the moment but i used to use a specific antibiotic cream. Cleared it up in about 48 hours!!

yeah that was the worst side effect for me as well. all i did that helped was by keeping lip balm on them ALWAYS.

Apparently something like anbesol is good for this because it kills the pain and fights infection. It might sting a bit at first though. I haven't had this side effect yet but if I do thats what i'll use

Hey, I've gotten these a couple times on my course so far. It is called angular cheilitis. My derm gave me a topical cortisone and anti-fungal/anti-bacterial cream that cleared them up very fast both times. Ask your doc!

thanks for all of the responses.

the doc just told me to do Petrol.. and I was just recently there.

how can I convince him to write me a script for mycolog?

well i got ketoconazole cream.. any ideas how long before it is effective?

it just sucks.. hurts to eat, can't smile..

crack, bleed, crust

A perpetual cycle.

dude, you need mycolog, not ketoconazole, which is only an antifungal. angular cheilitis is both a bacterial and fungal infection. mycolog has ingredients to fight both. it takes less than a week to heal with mycolog.

Drink a crapload of water in addition to the aquaphor/lip stuff. You have to keep your body hydrated too. Might help a little.