Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi all, this is my first post.

Since my teenage years I've had mild acne, now I'm 23 and I have oily, blemishy skin and a few white heads but they are generally at bay.

The problem is when I wash my face, a few minutes after, the oily layer returns and with it, blemishes and open pores.

My diet is good, consisting of muesli, plenty of green tea, water throughout the day, decent healthy sandwiches on good bread, and a proper meal for tea - probably pasta based.

The way I wash my face is a carefully refined procedure that goes like this:

1. Wash my hands with soap.

2. Wash the soap off my hands.

3. Use warm water to gently wipe away the grease with my hands.

4. Wash the grease off my hands with soap.

5. Repeat steps 2 - 4 until majority of grease has gone

6. Splash with cold water

7. Pat dry with a clean fresh fluffy warm towel

I read on here somewhere that I mustn't confuse oil and moisture. So I've ordered DK's cleanser and moisturiser (I already have some BP, but I don't use it).

I'm going to change the above method to allow for cleansing and moisturising with these new products, but I fail to see how it'll prevent the oil... even mattifying moisturisers don't work.

It can't be my diet.. I tried not eating dairy, that didn't make a difference either.

I've also tried those really strong fish oil tablets (but that confused me even more, I don't want more oil, surely?).

I thought it could perhaps be my work environment (sitting in front of a tft all day), but it's not.

Does anyone have any decent realistic advice, or know of any pills that actually reduce sebum?

thanks..

I know it may sound strange but try the following, it takes only three days to test, and it is something that is helping me right now which I started last week. I have oily skin too, but after a shower it usually remains dry for some time. But I would always get oily skin mid-day, which would make it tingle and all and eventually I'd have new white heads by the end of the day, on top of having new ones in the morning. Bread might be a factor, I know it always feels like it makes my skin oilier, even tho I eat only whole grain quality bread.

Anyway here's what I have been doing, and I say do it just for threes to see if you get results (you should get results on the first day really, but try three days):

The previous night before starting this routine, go to bed early if you don't already, 11pm or so not later. Also, if you're a guy shave your face either now or the next morning in the shower.

Ok now the routine

- Wake up early, between 6 an 7am or so.

- First thing you do before eating is working out a bit, nothing major, just get your body going. It can be anything from weight-less motions and flexing all your muscles, as if you wanted to show them. It's really a sort of stretching excercise. You can do some pushups or some such too if you want. When you feel good, you're done.

- Now take a shower; during the shower make sure you scrub your face, not too gently nor too harshly, in circular motions. Using water that isn't too hot but at least a bit, and then when you're done with your shower just make it cold water (not TOO cold but cold) and let your whole body and especially your face cool down like that.

- Now for the diet, it's simple; one or two apples with no skin (one apple if it is big, you remove the skin because it's full of pesticides and shine-gel). Cook some pasta (yep, pasta for breakfast!), and make sure they have nutritional values (they should have folate, thiamine, niacin, riboflavin or stuff like that more or less, not devoid of nutritional values). You can add some tomato sauce too, no problem. That is all for the diet, no milk, no cereals, no bread! It's easy to follow for three days;)

- At noon, eat pasta again, tomato sauce is fine again. You can eat almonds too if you aren't allergic (a good handful), it's up to you. Nothing more than that. I know it's not much but like I said, just a day to three days. By the end of the day, your skin' oiliness should have been reduced (this is when I would end up with mid-day oil, but not with this routine).

- If your face feels hot/tired/tingly/or whatever else because of your long day just run your face under some cool water and pat your face with a towel.

- For dinner? Pasta again, with tomato sauce if you want. Also, make yourself a good big salad; lettuce, spinach, or whatever leafy greens you want, a tomato, etc. Don't add any marinated stuff like beats or olives nor cheese, etc. You can add a vinaigrette if you want, try something of quality and vinegary.

- In the evening, take a shower, do the same as in the morning (scrub your face with a towel to wash it properly while in the shower, end with cold water to cool yourself down).

- Go to bed.

By the end of the day you should already have had some results, if not then it seems this doesn't work for everyone. But try it at least one day. It helped me avoid mid-day shine, and who knows what I'm actually doing right in all of this? I'm going to continue for some time to see if I can clear up completely because it's helping me avoid breakouts. We'll see, maybe it's just random luck!;)

I ate chocolate today at noon and got mid-day shine, which I didn't get the rest of the week. My skin feels tingly, a bit itchy now. I hope it won't lead to a full breakout.

Hi all, this is my first post.

Since my teenage years I've had mild acne, now I'm 23 and I have oily, blemishy skin and a few white heads but they are generally at bay.

The problem is when I wash my face, a few minutes after, the oily layer returns and with it, blemishes and open pores.

My diet is good, consisting of muesli, plenty of green tea, water throughout the day, decent healthy sandwiches on good bread, and a proper meal for tea - probably pasta based.

The way I wash my face is a carefully refined procedure that goes like this:

1. Wash my hands with soap.

2. Wash the soap off my hands.

3. Use warm water to gently wipe away the grease with my hands.

4. Wash the grease off my hands with soap.

5. Repeat steps 2 - 4 until majority of grease has gone

6. Splash with cold water

7. Pat dry with a clean fresh fluffy warm towel

I read on here somewhere that I mustn't confuse oil and moisture. So I've ordered DK's cleanser and moisturiser (I already have some BP, but I don't use it).

I'm going to change the above method to allow for cleansing and moisturising with these new products, but I fail to see how it'll prevent the oil... even mattifying moisturisers don't work.

It can't be my diet.. I tried not eating dairy, that didn't make a difference either.

I've also tried those really strong fish oil tablets (but that confused me even more, I don't want more oil, surely?).

I thought it could perhaps be my work environment (sitting in front of a tft all day), but it's not.

Does anyone have any decent realistic advice, or know of any pills that actually reduce sebum?

thanks..

I use Neutrogena on the Spot to keep oil under control. I use this on my forehead and nose, and Dan's BP on the rest of my face. This combination keeps my skin comfortable till quitting time! :D

Well it's been a couple of months and I'm on to my 3rd tub of vilantae.

It definitely does reduce the oil, however, there is always still a thin layer.

But, I'm pleased with the effects so far as they've brought my oil levels down enough - so that my skin can heal, so the cycle should hopefully pick up from here.

Two points:

1. The pustuals that you do get will be less frequent as the acne reduces - However, they will be greater in aggressiveness and much more sensitive and will often look like two or three small pustuals joined as one. These can be hard to get rid of.

I never used to get big fat aggressive pustuals before vilantae (only 'normal' ones), but considering the overall improvement, they are a small ish price to pay for less oily skin.

2. Does anybody know what will happen to the oil levels of a person who takes vilantae during puberty (when oil levels are skitz anyway).

The reason I ask is, I'm thinking, how will the body know what is a normal level of oil and what isn't? With vilantae inhibiting the levels, after puberty they might never get back to normal.

What do you think?