Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scarredpores

die acne die//my accutane log

Hello everyone! Well, I've been perusing through this site since last year gathering up all the information I need to combat my acne. To give you all a background, I'm 25 years old. I've been dealing with acne ever since 11-12 years old. My acne was never terribly bad. I swing between mild to moderate acne, and it usually was somewhat manageable with OTC and prescription medications. I didn't care that much about acne on my face before. This past year though, my acne has gone out of control. I started getting more of the nodule/cystic type acne along my jawline. So, I finally asked for accutane, and my derm agreed. My course starts around May 12/13. It all depends on how quickly my derm gets his part of ipledge done. I'm so excited, but I'm also scared of the side effects. Then again, what drug doesn't have side effects? I'm hoping this course of accutane will finally clear me up at least 90% or at least get rid of the nodule/cystic types ones. I'm also hoping it will clear out all of my clogged up pores and blackheads/whiteheads that are stretching out my pores to the max. I'm sick and tired of having the gunk in the pores squeezed out with facials as those are costly, and I don't want to continue having to do that on my own since I might do more damage to my already messed up skin.

So yeh, welcome to my log! I'll try to update as much as possible on my progress when I do start. Currently, I'm still using BP in the morning (sometimes) and Retin-a at night. My face is drying out so much though that I think I will cut down on both until I have to stop them completely when I go on accutane.

I'm trying to compile a list of products/supplements to purchase and use for my course. Any recommendations will be appreciated. Thank you for reading!

My acne wasn't terribly bad either, but once in a while I'd get huge ones =(. Accutane will definitely clear your pores out. The first couple of days, my nose had bits and pieces of gunk(I presume it was from the pores) all around that looked like the stuff you see when you use a blackhead strip.

I wish you good luck on your course when you get it in May =) And you know you'll have people on these boards to look for when you have any questions or concerns ;D.

My acne wasn't terribly bad either, but once in a while I'd get huge ones =(. Accutane will definitely clear your pores out. The first couple of days, my nose had bits and pieces of gunk(I presume it was from the pores) all around that looked like the stuff you see when you use a blackhead strip.

I wish you good luck on your course when you get it in May =) And you know you'll have people on these boards to look for when you have any questions or concerns ;D.

well my exams today went well.

BUT, my acne is getting worse along my jawline and my left cheek. now i'm wishing i started accutane sooner. and you know, on top of this, my face looks blotchy from the retin-a. gosh, this is so depressing.

so within the past few days, my acne has flared up on me yet again. i have a lot of the reddish ones that hurt like a bitch if you graze over it with your hand or brush it on your pillow while you're sleeping. ugh...

i have two exams tomorrow, and i haven't studied for them yet. hahahah... i'm worried my procrastination will just get worse once i start accutane. wtf!? okay kids, i better go and get some reading done.

I'm on my second month. (40mg BID) and my texture is getting a little better... but still getting these gnarly zits that hurt like a SOB and get so big i could name em! Like what the deal with that? It's like our acne is not going without some kind of a fight huh?

Well good luck studying and don't do what I do when I'm studying way hard and start to pick on my face when I'm frustrated.

Good luck with the course. I hope you'll take the following words into heart.

Accutane is the closest thing to a miracle cure. It has a 80% success rate, success meaning 100% clear after the end of the 5th-7th month. Accutane is NOT, however, something that is going to clear you up overnight. In fact, overnight it will probably make you worse, and to add to that maybe a little crabby.

Accutane is a wonderful drug, I'm on month 3 now and seeing serious improvement, but for a while there I was terribly discouraged at the results. (1.5 months, etc)

You can check out my blog in my signature if you want.

P.S. How come like 95% of the girls on this site are pretty?

Good luck with the course. I hope you'll take the following words into heart.

Accutane is the closest thing to a miracle cure. It has a 80% success rate, success meaning 100% clear after the end of the 5th-7th month. Accutane is NOT, however, something that is going to clear you up overnight. In fact, overnight it will probably make you worse, and to add to that maybe a little crabby.

Accutane is a wonderful drug, I'm on month 3 now and seeing serious improvement, but for a while there I was terribly discouraged at the results. (1.5 months, etc)

You can check out my blog in my signature if you want.

P.S. How come like 95% of the girls on this site are pretty?

Hey, good luck! I´m in my 20th day on 10mg (it will be a i year low dose course for mild-moderate acne). Don't get scared if you start breaking out more than you do soon, in the coming days/weeks, it is normal to get things worse during the first month. I'm still breaking out, less that last week, when I think I had my initial breakout. Dab Aquaphor often to keep lips from drying, exercise to keep aches at bay, rest, and drink tons of water. Keep your progress posted.

Week 1

it's been about a week since i started taking accutane. the only side effects i've had is headaches here and there but nothing crippling. the oil on my face has lessened a little bit. i tried squeezing a few whiteheads along my left jawline a few days ago, and the day after i did that, nodules surfaced at the site. then today, i made the mistake of squeezing out some of the gunk that's plugging the pores on my nose. it was interesting how these yellow-y, elongated sesame seed like things easily popped out. unfortunately, i think i overdid it, and now, i'm left with a few small scabs on my nose. awesome!!! i need to stop picking at my skin. today is the day that begins.

the iLL.nana.crew (my friends and i) wreaked havoc in the bay all day and all night from this past thursday to sunday. i'm so pooped, but i have to study for my finals on thursday. methinks i will do that right about...NOW.

Best of luck! Your acne looks very mild, so that's good. I have really bad problems with oil, as well! I guess the drying effects of Accutane will be great for that. ;]

Week 2

Accutane has reduced oil production on my face that I can go a day without washing my face, blotting, or using loose powder and still not look shiny/oily. It feels good. My clogged pores and blackheads are starting to become very obvious and are starting to push themselves out. I have so many tiny bumps on my face, but you can only see them if you look totally up close and stretch my skin out a bit, so i'm not too worried about that. As far as actives go, I have a couple along my jawline and one near my temple. Other than that, I'm clear. I wish I could say the same was my non-inflamed, comedal acne, but hey, I'm only on my second week. I have high hopes that accutane will get rid of most of them at least within the next few months.

Best of luck! Your acne looks very mild, so that's good. I have really bad problems with oil, as well! I guess the drying effects of Accutane will be great for that. ;]

Hey, good luck! I´m in my 20th day on 10mg (it will be a i year low dose course for mild-moderate acne). Don't get scared if you start breaking out more than you do soon, in the coming days/weeks, it is normal to get things worse during the first month. I'm still breaking out, less that last week, when I think I had my initial breakout. Dab Aquaphor often to keep lips from drying, exercise to keep aches at bay, rest, and drink tons of water. Keep your progress posted.

Week 3

after more than about a decade my face is not super oily anymore!! i don't have to blot it at all for the entire day to maintain a matte look. it's starting to flake a little but that can be controlled with moisturizer. i use oily of olay with spf15. i started getting bloody boogers more than week ago, and this past tuesday, i got my first nose bleed while i was taking a nap at our hotel in lake tahoe. today, i spit out some blood in the morning mixed in with my mucus and had bloody boogers again, so i guess i had a nosebleed in my sleep. i need to drink more water, and i think i'm going to buy a nasal spray to keep the insides of my nose from drying out and bleeding. my hair is also not very oily anymore. i don't need to wash it everyday. instead, i wash it every other day so it doesn't dry out. my skin is a bit more sensitive. if i pinch my cheeks, it turns red for a good half hour or so. the gunk clogging my pores are starting to go away. they're like seed-like looking things and some are sheet likes. i guess that's from years and years of getting packed with oil, dead skin, and other gunk. a lot of the pores on my nose have shrunk!! that's a plus. than that, not much else is going on.

i forgot to take the pill today. oh well... i'm glad i chose to go on accutane.

Just wanted to drop you a few lines of support. I hope that by the end of your course you are 100% clear. Stay consistent! :)

Thank you!!

Week 4 and 5

I missed a couple of days in Week 4 because I was feeling extremely weak due to sickness and because my derm appointment was not quite at the one month mark. Anyway, things are looking up. My face is practically oil free and now I have to slather on jojoba oil or vaseline to keep myself from drying out too much. My dandruff is now gone, but my hair doesn't look as healthy. It's a bit flat. I think I need to cut down on washing it to every 2-3 days because it's getting dry and flat. I'm afraid to lose hair because my hair is already fine and thin already. Does anyone have any suggestion to decrease hair shedding and strengthen the hair a little bit during the accutane course. My accutane course will last only 4-5 months at 40mg Sotret everyday depending on my response which has been very good so far. My derm said that my response to accutane has been excellent since I didn't have a major IB and now I have zero actives, and when I do get a nodule/cyst, it goes away within a few days. I'm so happy. What sucks now though is that because of more than a decade dealing with acne and using all those harsh products on my face to keep them under control, my skin is scarred with little pits that look like giant pores. Some of them are giant pores I think, but there are definitely tiny boxcar scars. I'll update with pictures later. I'm running late for school.

I hope everyone else is doing well on these boards! =]

Hey... another supporter here... best of luck!!!, feel free to drop by my blog anytime...

Sebastian.

Week 6

I missed a few days again in the past week. I had uncomfortable bloating in my upper abdomen last week. At first, I thought it was accutane causing it, and so I stopped taking the pill. It didn't go away, and today, I got my period. I'm attributing my tummy aches to PMS. I'm still seeing my primary physician though just to have it checked out.

Has anyone else here have any side effects involving your tummy area? ...like a bloated kind of feeling after a meal?

I'm such a hypochondriac, but then again it's better to be hyper-vigilant than not right? =]

As far as my progress with acne, well, I've been completely clear for more than a week now. All I have are some very deep blackheads that you can see only if you stretch my skin out. I can't believe that gunk is still purging from my pores. I can't wait until I'm done with my course.

Side effects: semi-dry lips, bloating that lasted a week(???don't know if this is because of accutane or PMS)

hey i just read your post.. I started my course may 19th at 40mgs as well. I did not have and IB either. I just have chapped lips and am feeling kinda tired now that ive upped my dose to 50 mgs a day. I have no active spots at all just left over redspotsl, my face is so smooth its really wired. I had acne similar to yours before I started. 14yrs later I finally go on accutane I too wish I would of done it sooner. Good Luck looks like we are having very similar experiences on our course.

Week 3

after more than about a decade my face is not super oily anymore!! i don't have to blot it at all for the entire day to maintain a matte look. it's starting to flake a little but that can be controlled with moisturizer. i use oily of olay with spf15. i started getting bloody boogers more than week ago, and this past tuesday, i got my first nose bleed while i was taking a nap at our hotel in lake tahoe. today, i spit out some blood in the morning mixed in with my mucus and had bloody boogers again, so i guess i had a nosebleed in my sleep. i need to drink more water, and i think i'm going to buy a nasal spray to keep the insides of my nose from drying out and bleeding. my hair is also not very oily anymore. i don't need to wash it everyday. instead, i wash it every other day so it doesn't dry out. my skin is a bit more sensitive. if i pinch my cheeks, it turns red for a good half hour or so. the gunk clogging my pores are starting to go away. they're like seed-like looking things and some are sheet likes. i guess that's from years and years of getting packed with oil, dead skin, and other gunk. a lot of the pores on my nose have shrunk!! that's a plus. than that, not much else is going on.

i forgot to take the pill today. oh well... i'm glad i chose to go on accutane.

about the bloody nose, what I can recommend is buy Vaseline and spread it inside your nose. I did and it helped out alot. About the dry lip I also use Aquaphor but only at night. I use Burt's Bees lip

balm in the day. You can get burt's bees at either Target or Walmart. I call it the miracle lip balm and plus it taste great as well. BTW I am on my 5th week. Goodluck to you.