Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rcr0412

Zinc Dosage Recommendations ?

i have been taking 50mg of zinc, just regular zinc for about a week now, i think this could really be helping me, but i want to maximize the effect of zinc, what would be the best dosage and type of zinc to take, does it matter when you take it.

any help appreciated

Thanks

i have been taking 50mg of zinc, just regular zinc for about a week now, i think this could really be helping me, but i want to maximize the effect of zinc, what would be the best dosage and type of zinc to take, does it matter when you take it.

any help appreciated

Thanks

any help appreciated

Thanks

i bought 50mg tablets, and my multivitamin contains 20 mg, i was thinking about the multivitamin with zinc in the morning and the 50mg zinc at dinnertime, my multivitamin also has 2mg copper

i bought 50mg tablets, and my multivitamin contains 20 mg, i was thinking about the multivitamin with zinc in the morning and the 50mg zinc at dinnertime, my multivitamin also has 2mg copper

So you'd have 70mg for every 2mg copper or a 35:1 ratio; I'd recommend you get a copper supplement as well and take that with your zinc at dinner to balance that ratio. Just my opinion though.

To get the most out of your zinc supplements, either chew them before swallowing (which can be unpleasant), or dissolve them in apple cider vinegar before swallowing (which is also fairly unpleasant).

Swallowing whole caplets is sometimes completely ineffective. If you follow either of the two tips above, you'd only need to take half as much zinc (and therefore, spend half the money).

50mg is good for a while, but you should lower it to mabey 30mg after a couple months, once inflamation starts to go down. Oh, and be sure to not take your zinc supp. after eating any grain or legume. Grains and legumes can really hinder your bodies ability to absorb zinc.

50mg is good for a while, but you should lower it to mabey 30mg after a couple months, once inflamation starts to go down. Oh, and be sure to not take your zinc supp. after eating any grain or legume. Grains and legumes can really hinder your bodies ability to absorb zinc.

Oh really? I heard that soy products can also do that.

Oh really? I heard that soy products can also do that.

I too am trying to figure out what dosage to take. Some research studies that prove the effectiveness of zinc in treating acne indicate that the subjects were taking huge doses, like 600mg per day. And the decrease in zits turned out to be small, though statistically measurable. So if I only take like 30mg a day, I'm doubtful that I'll see much benefit. On the other hand, many health websites advise against exceeding 100mg, warning that various immune deficiency problems can occur - not to mention the decreased copper and calcium absorption.

So, I'm thinking of going with 75mg to start, and after a few weeks cut down to 50mg. I'm also starting Dan's regimen so I won't really be able to tell which treatment is more effective... I just hope the combination will keep me 100% clear.

As others have pointed out, some legumes can reduce the absorption of zinc. This is because they contain phytic acid, which forms an insoluble complex with zinc. So stay away from whole grains, bran, nuts, and seeds. Phosphorus also prevents zinc absorption, which is found in eggs and milk products. Avoiding these foods could be rather annoying, so just be sure to take your zinc 2 hours before or after a meal and you don't have to worry about what you eat.

But phytic acid and phosphorus aren't the only incompatibility. Many people know zinc decreases copper absorption, but don't realize that copper decreases zinc absorption. So buy a separate copper supplement and take it at least 2 hours before or after your zinc supplement (actually, you can take it with meals as it's not affected by high phytate levels). This will allow both supplements to be effective. Same goes if you're taking iron... leave a 2 hour space between supplements.

Just a note to any drinkers: high dosages of zinc are known to increase alcohol intolerance, and alcohol can also reduce the absorption of copper, iron, zinc, and other metals. So don't drink and zinc!

Check out for more info.