Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
backdoor_clobber

Interesting Question

Has anyone here used ongoing acne treatments(such as DKR, or other gels everyday) during puberty, and still managed to outgrow acne afterwards? Outgrow as in breaking out much less than their teen years and not taking acne treatments everyday. I find it shocking that most people who have ongoing treatment due to puberty acne can't seem to outgrow it. Or am I wrong? I'm not talking about genetical acne where you''re stuck with it for life, just puberty hormonal acne. Do the acne products make you rely on them on a daily basis to the point where you can't outgrow it?

Prove me wrong.

Hi there. I've had acne most of my life, so I don't really fit the profile of regimen user you're describing. However, I don't think the products make your skin rely on them to the point where your body won't outgrow acne. Acne is a strange and unpredictable affliction, which I think is why so little is known about what causes it. The causes and reasons why some people develop acne and others don't, some outgrow acne and others don't, some skip teen acne but get pounded with adult acne in their 30's is greatly varied and multifaceted for each individual. I think the products are a good thing for teens, as it brings welcome relief and means of prevention from the terrible and often disfiguring lesions. Using them will not cause a teen to be afflicted with acne for life. Genetics is the main determiner of that, as well as when acne will decide to end for that person.

Besides even if you are right, who's wants to wait around to outgrow acne tomorrow when there are treatments out there to help prevent it today? I spent my teens, all of my 20's , and part of my 30's waiting for "tomorrow" to come. I'm still waiting. But, thanks, to the products, I'm preventing, too.

Hope this explanation was helpful. I'm no skin doctor, but your theory that the products will perpetuate a person's skin condition doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Good luck! Hope you find the answers you're looking for. :)

Hm, but why not? I have yet to see on this board someone that's been using ongoing treatment(DKR for example) during their teens and outgrew it afterward, stopping successfully the use of treatments. Everyone that uses the treatment(DKR) and stops have their acne back eventually. Some of those have genetical acne, but most I suspect don't. The ongoing treatment is good to prevent and treat acne if you've been stuck with it for a long time, but what if I'm having an outburst of pubertal acne(quite common) and decide to use something like DKR? Originally, my genetics allow me to outgrow it, but because of all the chemicals and products, my skin has grown adapted to having the BP on me most of the time. Even if I was meant to outgrow the acne, all the products made my skin accustomed to it. So when I stop the products, the BP-reliant skin can't prevent acne on it's own, therefore breakouts. If you think about it, why not? If you decide to do something everyday routinely and suddenly stop, would you not be accustomed? Lets say you have a bad posture, a bent back. You put a metal rod tied to your back day and night. If you take out the metal band after five years what do you think will happen? Do you think you'll have the strength to supoprt your back on it's own? That's what I believe. So what I'm trying to theorize and ask is if these chemicals will hinder your chance as a teenager to outgrow acne. I have yet to see one that uses ongoing treatment and outgrew it afterward. Ongoing treatment as in applying acne gel/cream day and night.

I can see your point. But many teens are afflicted with disfiguring cystic acne that will leave deep and permanent scarring if they don't act fast. Is a face full of scars and pock marks, as well as the emotional hurt that goes along with it, worth waiting out the hormonal storm?

I was one of the lucky ones. I didn't need to use acne products until my acne became disfiguring in my mid-30's and risked leaving permanent scars. Many teens are in that boat before their 16th birthday.

I still say you're comparing apples and oranges. I don't believe acne products create a biological dependency on them. I believe when acne strikes and when acne leaves are largely predetermined at conception. Environmental factors, whether it be diet, smoking, skin products, or acne treatment, I think, will either make acne better or worse for the allotted time you will be afflicted.

If your time with acne is up and you have outgrown it, I do believe that when you stop the products, acne will not come back.

But as I said, I'm not a doctor. Maybe you're right. But I'd rather deal with a biological dependency and no scars than to wait it out and risk permanent disfigurement. That's just me.

You're right, I agree permanent disfigurement really does require attention to prevent it, because even if you have outgrown it, there's no point with all those marks left for the rest of your life. I also believe acne is predetermined sometimes, especially during breakouts with no underlying cause. But how can you believe that the acne will not come back after outgrowing and stopping the products? I know that DKR is no "cure" for acne and people that can't outgrow it have to do ongoing treatment in order for them to stay clear. I'll tell you my story and why I'm so skeptical.

Around one to two years ago when I was fourteen to fifteen, I had my bad breakout of puberty acne. I had it before, but very mild 2-3 small spots. It wasn't cystic, wasn't mild. It was quite moderate and noticeable, around four to five pea sized pimples concentrated at one area on my forehead and some whiteheads forming. I care about my looks a lot, although I'm a guy. The moment I saw the sudden breakout, I got nervous and began using salycic acid to prevent it. My family had acne during puberty, but all my siblings(brother and sister) outgrew it. After having allergies once, I decided to just visit the dermatologist. The dermatologist gave me differin gel, and I used it for a while until it got better. Then, I stopped using it right before summer began. I used it once in a while, maybe when I felt like it, but the acne definitely got better and I was only using it for marks and little bumps. By the end of summer I was clear about 90%. Then, I got stupid and tried using oil blotting papers despite not being THAT oily. These formed a few more pimples around my cheeks, and I tried using DKR and differin gel to stop it. It stalled the acne a while, making it a bit better and back to where I started. The acne didn't stop this time, and eventually got worse and worse, now my face is filled with acne, although theyre all small inflamed whiteheads. My face got a lot oiler, and it has been nearly half a year of using DKR and then differin gel. I know I'm not loyal to my routines, but after all these products why did my face just get worse? I truly believe if I had just left the originaly MILD acne alone without using products, my skin would have dealt with it alone. Now I think my skin's natural defences have weakened because I continuously used the products, and they stall me. Whenever I stop, I just get more and more pimples. My skin might've started to rely on the differin gel and BP. I'm 16 and a half now, with much oilier skin than before and moderate acne all over my face. I'm gonna stop the products. Not using it anymore. If my siblings outgrew it, I think I will. Theyre not causing scars so I'm definitely not using any more products. I WANT TO OUTGROW IT, not using products for the rest of my life thinking why didn't I just leave the mild acne alone. I was naive, I believe everyone needed perfect skin. Shouldn't have bothered treating the minor acne I had, it just made me depend more and more on the chemicals.

I doubt treating your mild acne before had anything to do with your problem now. Have you ever considered maybe it just happens to be your time to get bad acne? Lots of people get it at different stages of their lives, I have friends who have good skin in high school but then developed acne during their time in college or uni. And you are at that age when the hormones hit hard and everything happens to you too.

You never really know when you're going to outgrow acne anyway, maybe it'll be years, maybe you won't. It's also too early for you to make up theories since you mentioned having acne for 2/3 years. I've had mine for a decade now and I still don't get the logic of acne. So rather than waiting, maybe you should just do something about it right now?

Good luck anyway.

Good your acne isn't the scarring kind, so that's a plus. You can afford to weather it out for awhile. But if you develop cystic acne, I wouldn't wait to start treating it. And if you do decide to start treating it again up the road, following your regimen religiously and to the letter--regardless of which one you choose--is absolutely key, otherwise it's a waste.

You're lucky you're still young. There's a good chance you will outgrow your acne in the next few years, as a lot of young people do by the time they are in their late teens to early 20's. But I still believe the start and end of acne, and even to some extent the severity, is mostly predetermined at a person's conception.

Best of luck! :D

its certainly true that some acne products can make acne worse, irritating sensitive skin (which is what (contrary to popular belief) acne prone skin is) does worsen spots, this probably explains why some products with harsh scrubs like proacvtiv etc can seem to be making things worse.

however acne at its very root is not something your body can become hooked on producing, for whatever reason your body will produce these p acnes and excess sebum until genetically you are predisposed for this to stop, or you take a drug like accutane which modifies the sebum production rate of skin. all bp does is go into the skin and kill these p acnes, so when your body naturally stops producing these, the bp will have nothing left to kill. it wont have any adverse effects and i cant see how it can possibly cause your body to continue to produce p acnes and excess sebum, its simply not that powerful enough. all it does is killl bacteria under the skin, when there's no more bacteria it becomes redundant. the only points of the other steps of dans regime are to prep skin for optimum bp absorption (cleanser) and stop skin becomming overly dried out (moisturiser). the exceptions are if you are allergic to bp, where obviously it will make your skin worse, and i should think if it dries your skin out horribly, which will cause a lot of irritation and possibly result in more acne. however if neither of these are your problem then bp should be a suitable solution.

bp is really a pretty standard medication with very few side effects compared ot other products. by all means do your research but its not a very potent product and while i think a case like yours could be argued for products like antibiotics, which you skin becomes immune to, or say accutane, i dont think bp is nearly strong enough to cause a dependancy

hope this helps

I know that the ability of BP to work is to kill the P. acnes bacteria too, but I'm sure you also know that there is no precise information about the root and cause of acne. Could be clogged infected pores, could be lack of vitamins, hormones, sleep, and many other factors have been said to be the reason. Sure, you can say all BP does is kill the bacteria on top, but how do you know that the skin soon finds that it has no need to protect itself because BP is doing all the work? And then you stop and the skin still thinks it doesn't need to protect itself anymore? I know it's all theory, but how come no one here that has used constant treatment and still managed to outgrow it did not post here yet? I'm still waiting for that.

I very much doubt use of bp/differin has made your acne worse. I had acne from when I was 14 and didn't do anything to treat it until I was 19 and started getting really fed up. It was mild/moderate in my mid teens but actually started getting much worse in my late teens/early twenties. I then started using dkr which really helped. Now I only use dkr once every few days and i'm pretty much clear. I honestly don't think bp has prevented me from growing out of acne. You're only 16 and many people don't outgrow hormonal acne until their early twenties. I don't mean to tell you that you should use the regimen - that is ultimately your decision. Another thing to bear in mind is that people who have used the regimen and subsequently grown out of acne probably don't spend much time on these boards...

Elgreco's right. The only people you're going to find on these boards pretty much are those treating acne, not those who have outgrown it. Those who have outgrown acne have moved on. But I have no doubt they exist (obviously not a very satisfying answer for you).

Perhaps you should take up your theories about biological dependency of acne treatments with a dermatologist. None of us here are doctors, so our comments are really only theories too without solid medical backing or scientific evidence.

You have a valid concern, so if you do end up asking a skin doctor about this, please share your findings with us. It's an intriguing question. :)

You're right a dermatologist can help me answer it, but don't trust everything in the scientific point of view because they always need solid medical evidence before making theories. All I want to do is find some examples, and you may be right they won't be on these boards, do you know anyone who has outgrown it? Do you have older siblings who used ongoing treatment and now they've outgrown it? Yea, I'm not looking for scientific evidence, you should know that science hasn't discovered everything about acne yet, despite being one of the common medical problems heavily researched on. I want testimonies.

Then perhaps try posting a new topic on the boards and see who responds. Something like, "Looking for testimonials of former regimen users" or "Anyone know someone who outgrew their acne while on the regimen?" Put your question right in the heading so members will see it. You might even try posting on the forum called "Acne Research."

Unfortunately, your best bet will probably only be secondhand information rather than firsthand. Like Elgreco pointed out, the cured have no reason to return to the boards, but there's a good chance someone out there remembers someone who came back to let people know they were cured.

This would be a good question to ask Dan. I'd try emailing him directly and see what he says. People email him all the time, so he might remember people who were outgrew their acne while on the regimen.

I just received an email from Brandy. I was right. He said that rarely do people get emails from people who outgrow acne. He "assumes" they grow out of acne and are able to decrease application gradually. Seems that I have further proof to back up what I've said. Also I didn't say the differin gel caused my acne to get worse, I said it made me a bit dependant on it. Not using it for the last few months made my acne grow a hell lot worse.