Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Bigger

ANY SUPPLEMENTS THAT HELP WITH ANXIETY?

I know magnesium is supposed to help relax you.

Fish Oils help improve your mood somewhat..

Is there anything else? Those of you who've had anxiety issues, what has helped?

Thanks in advance! :)

I was going to say fish oil. I'm sure there are others and they have been discussed here, but I don't have a problem with anxiety so never memorized anything on the subject.

I'm definitely deficient in magnesium so I'm building that up to take care of anxiety and panic attacks. Until then, L-theanine is amazing and it's actually neuroprotectant. I take 50-100mg of Suntheanine brand and within 20 minutes I am the opposite of anxious and lasts the rest of the day. I only take it certain stress days...highly recommended!

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this, but b-vitamins are very quickly depleted by stress, so I would suggest taking nutritional yeast or a b-complex.

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this, but b-vitamins are very quickly depleted by stress, so I would suggest taking nutritional yeast or a b-complex.

Dude who is the sexy chick who keeps letting you write on her and put picture on the internet lmao

I've had some major problems sleeping due to anxiety and my mom gave kava kava me to try. It works great, but i don't know if you can take it during the day cuz i always just take it b4 bed. I would give it a try if you have any trouble sleeping cuz it's been a real life saver at times. She got them on e-bay:)

Started taking 750 mgs of GABA in November. It's an inhibitory amino acid already present in your body that slows your circuits down so that the alarm responses of anxiety aren't always cranking at 100%. I know of no interactions and the only side effects I've experienced are "pins and needles" and a brief shortness of breath--but only when I do not mix the capsule with a full glass of water. If I follow the instructions on the label, I get zero side effects.

After about 4-6 days I noticed I was slower to become anxious or discombobulated. I was told by my holistic practitioner that after you supplement with this stuff for a few months and your levels become sufficient, it begins to produce the symptoms you're trying to treat (anxiety) as a way of letting you know you've had enough. This has not happened for me yet and in the meantime, I found that my personality has evened out a little bit and I am slower to jump to conclusions or overreact.

Some of the literature will tell you that ingested GABA doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier. This does not mean that supplementation isn't effective--what happens is that since both your brain and your body use this amino acid, raising the levels circulating in your body means that more of your own (made in your own body) GABA remains for your brain to use.

The rest of the info you need to know you can find on the web. Good luck.

And PS--Kava is very hard on the liver. DO NOT TAKE IT WITH TYLENOL OR OTHER NSAIDS.

Taken from Wikipedia:

Risks and Side Effects

5-HTP raises blood serotonin levels, and because of the risks associated with elevated levels it should only be taken under the advice of a medical professional (See Chronic diseases resulting from serotonin 5-HT2B overstimulation). For instance, elevated blood serotonin levels are associated with cardiac valve failure and acute or chronic pulmonary hypertension.

Comprehensive clinical data on other side-effects of 5-HTP are not available. Nevertheless, some product marketers claim that it causes fewer side effects than traditional antidepressants. The basis for these claims are anecdotal and have not been verified scientifically. Side effects of 5-HTP may include nausea, constipation, gas, drowsiness, decreased sex drive, anxiety, numbness, paresthesia, breathing problems, palpitations, chest pain, hallucinations and insomnia. 5-HTP can also have adverse interactions with other natural and traditional drugs.

What are your thoughts?

Wikipedia is fun, but I'd double check more in other places too, although nothing is without side-effects, so I understand your concern! All I know is when I took some prescribed thing (Lexapro, I think) for the anxiety attacks I started having right after graduating college, my pupils were dilated all day, I couldn't concentrate, and it did nothing for the anxiety. My friends were asking me what was wrong because I literally couldn't keep concentrating long enough to have a full conversation. I suppose it depends what your other options are. I took it with B-12 and folic acid for about seven months and the anxiety eventually faded enough to stop. It worked beautifully, and I didn't notice any side-effects. That's just me though. Maybe B-12 and folic acid would just be enough? I also got results with those before adding in 5-HTP. Chalk another one up for supplements over prescriptions. Good luck!

Started taking 750 mgs of GABA in November. It's an inhibitory amino acid already present in your body that slows your circuits down so that the alarm responses of anxiety aren't always cranking at 100%. I know of no interactions and the only side effects I've experienced are "pins and needles" and a brief shortness of breath--but only when I do not mix the capsule with a full glass of water. If I follow the instructions on the label, I get zero side effects.

After about 4-6 days I noticed I was slower to become anxious or discombobulated. I was told by my holistic practitioner that after you supplement with this stuff for a few months and your levels become sufficient, it begins to produce the symptoms you're trying to treat (anxiety) as a way of letting you know you've had enough. This has not happened for me yet and in the meantime, I found that my personality has evened out a little bit and I am slower to jump to conclusions or overreact.

Some of the literature will tell you that ingested GABA doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier. This does not mean that supplementation isn't effective--what happens is that since both your brain and your body use this amino acid, raising the levels circulating in your body means that more of your own (made in your own body) GABA remains for your brain to use.

The rest of the info you need to know you can find on the web. Good luck.

And PS--Kava is very hard on the liver. DO NOT TAKE IT WITH TYLENOL OR OTHER NSAIDS.

I know magnesium is supposed to help relax you.

Fish Oils help improve your mood somewhat..

Is there anything else? Those of you who've had anxiety issues, what has helped?

Thanks in advance! :)

I would be interested in trying this, especially Theanine. I just wonder because I can take like 2mg+ of Xanax and it will barely phase me... I sometimes wonder if I'm resistant to downers or something.

P.S. I am not advising anyone to take any Xanax or any other drug lol.

Wikipedia is fun, but I'd double check more in other places too, although nothing is without side-effects, so I understand your concern! All I know is when I took some prescribed thing (Lexapro, I think) for the anxiety attacks I started having right after graduating college, my pupils were dilated all day, I couldn't concentrate, and it did nothing for the anxiety. My friends were asking me what was wrong because I literally couldn't keep concentrating long enough to have a full conversation. I suppose it depends what your other options are. I took it with B-12 and folic acid for about seven months and the anxiety eventually faded enough to stop. It worked beautifully, and I didn't notice any side-effects. That's just me though. Maybe B-12 and folic acid would just be enough? I also got results with those before adding in 5-HTP. Chalk another one up for supplements over prescriptions. Good luck!

Thanks for all the info. One question, for what purpose did you being to supplement B-12 and Folic Acid prior to adding 5-HTP to the mix?

I'm throwing in another vote for GABA, but I would just take it directly, not from theamine.

I've been taking it the last few days right before bed and whenever I wake up I feel as though it's from a perfect night of sleep. I wouldn't be surprised if it helped with anxiety as well.

I would be interested in trying this, especially Theanine. I just wonder because I can take like 2mg+ of Xanax and it will barely phase me... I sometimes wonder if I'm resistant to downers or something.

P.S. I am not advising anyone to take any Xanax or any other drug lol.