Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kmk621

Birth Control Pills & Acne or suggestions??

Hi all, I'm new here. I am almost 25 and have been suffering with acne issues since I was about 19.

I took birth control from the time I was 15 until 19. I took EstroStep, Alesse, Ortho Tricyclen and Lo-Ovral. Lo-Ovral is the last one I took. When I was 18/19 I remember having some superficial breakouts. After I quit birth control, I have struggled on and off with deep, red, painful pimples (I guess they are called nodules?) In college, I tried Differin, Retin-A Micro, BenzaClin and finally oral antibiotics. I had some success with these, but had to stop going to the derm because I lost my health insurance.

For the past three years or so, I have struggled on and off. I have extremely oily skin and would usually have one or two nodules. They last a while and leave red marks- I am not sure whether these scars are permanent or not. I quit smoking about 3 months ago, and since then my acne has been a lot worse, sometimes having up to 6 of these lesions.

It is strange because they are almost always in the exact same places. It goes away, leaves a deep red mark, and then just pops up again.

I went to the clinic and started taking Solia (generic for Desogen), I think it has also been called Apri in the past, and got a prescription for Retin-A. Has anyone had success with Solia for acne? (I know everyone is different, but just cursious) How long does birth control take to see results?

Does any one have any other suggestions? What worked for you?

Sorry this is so long, but I am desperate!

Stay well away from any contraceptive pills that are progesterone based as they can actually give acne to women who have never had it before (though not always permanently!)

You should try a contraceptive that is very high in oestrogen (Or, "estrogen" as you weird Yanks call it).

I don't know if it is called the same thing over there, but in the UK we have Dianette which is a contraceptive pill licensed as an acne treatment.

The best thing I can suggest is to go and see your doctor. Discuss your situation with them in depth and say you want to try and control your acne through birth control.

If they are unsympathetic, or just plain rude (had that alot) then just acknowledge inwardly that they are a twat and see another doctor.

Hope that helps!!!

I had good results with Demulen and spironolactone together, and then later, just Yasmin. I think I saw results within one cycle. Ortho-Tri-Cyclin is often prescribed for women with acne, but I found that it made me really emotional unbalanced (which was terrible) and it put my libido in overdrive (which wasn't so bad. ;) ) I think I tried Desogen for a cycle or two and saw no change in my skin. I hope it helps you, though. Good luck! ;)

I thought about Yaz, maybe if Desogen doesn't help at all I will switch. The Desogen costs $15 and the Yaz or Yasmin costs $60. I have heard a lot about Dianette, Diane-35, but I don't think its available in the US.