Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thunder_cloud

Carrageenan, Salt....

I just noticed carrageenan as an ingredient listed in the broth my chicken legs are supposedly enhanced with. Does any one know what effect this stuff has on acne sufferers? Ive read a lot of conflicting opinions on salt so I'm not sure what to think about it either. I never add salt to any of my food so the only time I consume it are when its already added to meat products like chicken and the occasional canned salmon. I know nitrates are really bad so I generally stay away from all cured meats. I wish I could eat nothing but free range organic grass fed meats but it just doesn't fit into my budget being a college student. I'm following a pretty strict fatty meat/veg diet with minimal fruit and would really appreciate the opinions of those doing the same.

I believe carrageenan is a seaweed product which would give it a huge dose of iodine. You might want to stay away from it...

I just noticed carrageenan as an ingredient listed in the broth my chicken legs are supposedly enhanced with. Does any one know what effect this stuff has on acne sufferers? Ive read a lot of conflicting opinions on salt so I'm not sure what to think about it either. I never add salt to any of my food so the only time I consume it are when its already added to meat products like chicken and the occasional canned salmon. I know nitrates are really bad so I generally stay away from all cured meats. I wish I could eat nothing but free range organic grass fed meats but it just doesn't fit into my budget being a college student.

I tested carrageenan a while back. I found it had no effect. I have also tested iodine as having no effect. I can't find any research source to back up the iodine/acne link so I think it is just a myth propogated by rumour.

Carrageenan is known to cause inflammation of the intestine possibly leading to cancer of the intestine. But the quantity used in food is very small so I doubt it is common. Many fish oil and cod liver oil capsules use it to gel the oil. Not something to take over the long term.

The 5th paragraph of this article seems to indicate that there is a connection: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/...51207181144.htm

Actually, iodine is one of the only "acne triggers" that have been studied extensively by the medical community. Just because you "tested" it on yourself doesn't mean other people won't react to it.

I tested carrageenan a while back. I found it had no effect. I have also tested iodine as having no effect. I can't find any research source to back up the iodine/acne link so I think it is just a myth propogated by rumour.

Carrageenan is known to cause inflammation of the intestine possibly leading to cancer of the intestine. But the quantity used in food is very small so I doubt it is common. Many fish oil and cod liver oil capsules use it to gel the oil. Not something to take over the long term.

Just because you "tested" it on yourself doesn't mean other people won't react to it.

I've actually observed quite a few, including a moderator

Just because you "tested" it on yourself doesn't mean other people won't react to it.

Very true, but I've found that most people here don't have any reaction to iodine. I've only met one person here that truly does.

My understanding is that carrageenan is just one substance, along with iodine, contained in seaweed. Just because it is extracted from seaweed doesn't necessarily mean it is equal to iodine or even contains any iodine at all. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject will chime in and inform us.

When people with thyroid problems are put on a low iodine diet by doctors, they are told to avoid carrageen because it's high in iodine...

My understanding is that carrageenan is just one substance, along with iodine, contained in seaweed. Just because it is extracted from seaweed doesn't necessarily mean it is equal to iodine or even contains any iodine at all. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject will chime in and inform us.

Dr. Fulton also writes about the link between iodine and acne in his book "Acne RX". No, iodine doesn't clog the pores or form comedones. What can do in those predisposed to acne is cause existing comedones to flare up into inflamed pimples. Excess iodine gets partially excreted through the pores of the skin (like other salts do). The iodine is very irritating to the pores and can lead to inflamation and the subsequent flare up of any existing comedones or clogged pores. Very high doses (such as some thyroid meds have) can also induce the "acne like" erruptions in those who aren't prone to acne.

My acne clinic also recommends avoiding products high in iodine. In addition to the expert source cited above, there are the anecdotal reports of a number of people on this board about iodine flaring their acne (me included). My esthetician who specializes in treating acne also had this experience.

There is another article on the dairy-acne connection that proposes that the high levels of iodine in dairy might be part of the reason that dairy intake seems to be related to acne flare-ups.

I have read that carrageenan is bad for acne-prones as well (and my acne clinic recommends avoiding it(. I substantially cut down on my soy intake and I think it has help my skin a lot.

Dr. Fulton also writes about the link between iodine and acne in his book "Acne RX". No, iodine doesn't clog the pores or form comedones. What can do in those predisposed to acne is cause existing comedones to flare up into inflamed pimples. Excess iodine gets partially excreted through the pores of the skin (like other salts do). The iodine is very irritating to the pores and can lead to inflamation and the subsequent flare up of any existing comedones or clogged pores. Very high doses (such as some thyroid meds have) can also induce the "acne like" erruptions in those who aren't prone to acne.

Does the Dr. Fulton book mention the source of this acne/iodine claim?

My acne clinic also recommends avoiding products high in iodine. In addition to the expert source cited above, there are the anecdotal reports of a number of people on this board about iodine flaring their acne (me included). My esthetician who specializes in treating acne also had this experience.

There is another article on the dairy-acne connection that proposes that the high levels of iodine in dairy might be part of the reason that dairy intake seems to be related to acne flare-ups.

I have read that carrageenan is bad for acne-prones as well (and my acne clinic recommends avoiding it(. I substantially cut down on my soy intake and I think it has help my skin a lot.

But have all of these people proven that iodine worsens their acne? I think the dairy-iodine connection is just stupid. There are so many potential things in dairy that can cause breakouts, you can't just blame it on iodine unless you know that iodine itself breaks you out. I'm not sure how you would go about testing this except for taking a pure iodine supplement and see what happens.

Otherwise, I could just say, "this sugar water breaks me out, so I should stop drinking water."

Well it doesn't seem to be having any effect on my skin so I guess I'm in the clear. Nevertheless I will probably avoid buying chicken enhanced with broth from now on. Taking something like kelp extract would probably be a safe way to directly test the iodine link and see if it has any effect on you.

From Dr. James Fulton's book (acne expert/derm/chemist who co-developed Retin-A):

"The one exception is dietary iodides (4). Excessive iodides are excreted out through the oil gland and may flare up the acne impactions. Experimentally, when acne sufferers ingest a saturated solution of potassium iodine (15 drops twice a day) they will secrete iodide into the sebum in about ten days and their existing acne impactions may flare in about two weeks.

This excessive iodide becomes important in three scenarios: 1) Dietary supplements, such as mineral and vitamin pills that contain elemental iodide. Excessive doses can be excreted out through the oil glands and flare up acne. 2) Some diet programs emphasize seaweed. Certain seaweeds concentrate iodide and this heavy load of iodide can be excreted out through the oil glands and irritate the follicles. 3) Some drinking water is high in iodide and can aggravate the problem. This is especially true in island cultures where the water is desalinated and, then, some seawater is added back to the water to make it a little tastier. This combination may have a high iodide level that can lead to acne flare-ups. However, the usual dietary intake from fish or continental water is not enough to aggravate the complexion in most individuals."

Well it doesn't seem to be having any effect on my skin so I guess I'm in the clear. Nevertheless I will probably avoid buying chicken enhanced with broth from now on. Taking something like kelp extract would probably be a safe way to directly test the iodine link and see if it has any effect on you.

From Dr. James Fulton's book (acne expert/derm/chemist who co-developed Retin-A):

"The one exception is dietary iodides (4). Excessive iodides are excreted out through the oil gland and may flare up the acne impactions. Experimentally, when acne sufferers ingest a saturated solution of potassium iodine (15 drops twice a day) they will secrete iodide into the sebum in about ten days and their existing acne impactions may flare in about two weeks."

This excessive iodide becomes important in three scenarios: 1) Dietary supplements, such as mineral and vitamin pills that contain elemental iodide. Excessive doses can be excreted out through the oil glands and flare up acne. 2) Some diet programs emphasize seaweed. Certain seaweeds concentrate iodide and this heavy load of iodide can be excreted out through the oil glands and irritate the follicles. 3) Some drinking water is high in iodide and can aggravate the problem. This is especially true in island cultures where the water is desalinated and, then, some seawater is added back to the water to make it a little tastier. This combination may have a high iodide level that can lead to acne flare-ups. However, the usual dietary intake from fish or continental water is not enough to aggravate the complexion in most individuals."

Carrageenans or carrageenins are a family of linear sulphated polysaccharides which are extracted from red seaweeds. This is a bad news for you so stay away from these. And have the right amount of , pick the that the market offers.