Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
youknowyouloveme

***SUGAR & ACNE****

I never thought it did because I always ate very little at once. So I did an experiment. I ate a bag of candy and a bag of WHITE sugary pasteries. Both were big bags.

The next 3-4 days I broke out so bad lol, I got like 12 new pimples on my face.

AFter that I avoid sugar like the devil :)

There's a decent amount of sugar in some form or another in almost everything, so it's kind of a losing battle. I just try to stay away from refined sugars. I personally believe there are some definite triggers that people with acne should be avoiding or at least cutting back on, but obsessing too much over diet probably is just going to do more harm than good for most people. It's one thing when it's a specific food that can be swapped out for something else (i.e. peanut butter for almond butter), but when people start removing basic food groups or ingredients like dairy and sugar from their diets, that's getting a bit excessive. I mean, if you actually read the food labels, there's sugar in EVERYTHING. Just to give one example, a single serving of milk (dairy or soy, not sure about others) contains about 15 grams of sugar. Regular old-fashioned milk. A product you would never, ever suspect of having a high sugar content. Cutting back on candy and soda is great, but let's try and be a little bit realistic here. It's pretty much impossible to have a well-balanced diet without getting a reasonable amount of sugar along the way.

I know some people claim to have become remarkably clear JUST from dietary modifications, but I think for most of us it's best as a secondary measure to some sort of primary treatment, be it a topical routine or whatever. Most people who get super crazy on these diets end up with excessive weight loss, and to me that's sort of like cutting off the head of the Hydra only to have 3 more spring up. Most of us have a basic idea of what a "healthy diet" consists of, just try and stick to that and if you notice a particular food item causing problems, cut it. It's that simple.

There's a decent amount of sugar in some form or another in almost everything, so it's kind of a losing battle. I just try to stay away from refined sugars. I personally believe there are some definite triggers that people with acne should be avoiding or at least cutting back on, but obsessing too much over diet probably is just going to do more harm than good for most people. It's one thing when it's a specific food that can be swapped out for something else (i.e. peanut butter for almond butter), but when people start removing basic food groups or ingredients like dairy and sugar from their diets, that's getting a bit excessive. I mean, if you actually read the food labels, there's sugar in EVERYTHING. Just to give one example, a single serving of milk (dairy or soy, not sure about others) contains about 15 grams of sugar. Regular old-fashioned milk. A product you would never, ever suspect of having a high sugar content. Cutting back on candy and soda is great, but let's try and be a little bit realistic here. It's pretty much impossible to have a well-balanced diet without getting a reasonable amount of sugar along the way.

I know some people claim to have become remarkably clear JUST from dietary modifications, but I think for most of us it's best as a secondary measure to some sort of primary treatment, be it a topical routine or whatever. Most people who get super crazy on these diets end up with excessive weight loss, and to me that's sort of like cutting off the head of the Hydra only to have 3 more spring up. Most of us have a basic idea of what a "healthy diet" consists of, just try and stick to that and if you notice a particular food item causing problems, cut it. It's that simple.

I disagree.

I believe that Diet is the primary factor in combating acne. Topical does not even comeclose to the kind of effect diet has on us.

And also people who end up adopting modified diets for controlling acne are served much better in the long term. IMO they are healthier and stronger as compared to those who continue to follow SAD.

The vague notion of 'healthy diet' that most people seem to have is rather misleading. IMO the lesser the processing, the greater the nutrition content of the food stuff and more healthy it is for us.

No need to be absolutely obsessive about ones diet but to ignore common triggers like dairy just because it is too 'inconvenient' is a heavy price to pay.

But then again, to each, his own

K

Do you find sugar makes your acne flare up?

I swapped sugar in my tea/coffee for honey and cut out sweet biscuits, cakes, etc and I have noticed a huge reduction in my breakouts.

I disagree.

I believe that Diet is the primary factor in combating acne. Topical does not even comeclose to the kind of effect diet has on us.

And also people who end up adopting modified diets for controlling acne are served much better in the long term. IMO they are healthier and stronger as compared to those who continue to follow SAD.

The vague notion of 'healthy diet' that most people seem to have is rather misleading. IMO the lesser the processing, the greater the nutrition content of the food stuff and more healthy it is for us.

No need to be absolutely obsessive about ones diet but to ignore common triggers like dairy just because it is too 'inconvenient' is a heavy price to pay.

But then again, to each, his own

K

I think it's now pretty much common knowledge that certain foods have an impact on acne. According to some people, however, that list is a mile long, and if you took it with more than a grain of salt you'd be living off leafy green vegetables and not a whole lot else. That's not going to happen, especially for those of us who are naturally very thin and need a pretty intense, fattening diet just to maintain a normal weight. Furthermore, topicals can and do get people clear if you do research and know what you're using. It just requires experimentation, just like diet. For every person on this site who's found a cure through diet there's another who has found a cure through a consistent topical regimen, and I think most of us probably benefit through some combination of both these factors.

Accutane was a temporary solution for me. I was extremely disappointed by how fast acne came back afterwards. However, I now have a solid topical regimen and I'm avoiding a short but realistic list of trigger foods, and I'm confident that this is going to keep me clear long-term the way 'tane falsely promised to.

YES. Without a doubt. Especially if it's something with a combination of sugar and butter or sugar and milk, such as cookies or pudding.

Moving to nutrition and holistic health. Acne research forum is for studies, developments in well, acne research.

Lots of sugars - bad

A bit sugars - its k. :)

Fruits has sugars and is still healthy.

we all different though some don't get acne eating little sugars...

some gets acne eating little sugars..

Lots of sugars - bad

Absolutely correct! :) Way to go Eddie, you've been studying, I think!

After I indulge in sweet treats (cakes, cookies, etc) it takes about two to three days for the effects to show up on my face. Its usually in the form of pimples near my mouth and jawline. Not fun, and soooo not worth it!

Cutting back on candy and soda is great, but let's try and be a little bit realistic here. It's pretty much impossible to have a well-balanced diet without getting a reasonable amount of sugar along the way.

Perhaps it is easier for you to belive this. It is very easy to eat healthily without having sugar. Just eat whole foods for a start.

Yes. Sugar is the number one thing guaranteed to give me acne. So it's the number one thing I avoid!

Lots of sugars - bad

Absolutely correct! :) Way to go Eddie, you've been studying, I think!

lol thx I learned alot , thx to this forums. ^^will never stop going on this forum. still learning.

i keep thinking sugar has something to do with it, but i'm not sure, i've been gradually increasing my carb intake to see what happens

Those of you following a modified diet, would you please specify what you mean by "sugar"?

For moi, I avoid ADDED sweeteners. I eat sugar. You can't get around it, since it's a carbohydrate. I can eat plenty of fruits and veggies and grains and ... no problems.

OK, so for example let's take Raisins. The worst thing probably for your teeth because it has 26g of sugar and yet...I eat it....with zero problems! I can eat it because it also has fiber and other nutrients you won't find in basic sugar.

While I can consume quite a few fruits, I can't drink fruit juice of ANY sort. Yet...someone mentioned the amount of sugar in Milk....well, I drink Unsweetened Rice Milk and occasionally Oat Milk and again they have natural sugars and....no problems.

When I shop for pasta sauce for example, the more vegetables in the sauce the higher the sugar and carbohdrate content. However, when I read labels the ONLY thing I look at is whether it has any ADDED sugars because that's what's relevant.

Now, when it comes to lunch meats....I very rarely eat them because most are laden with HFCS and sometimes wheat (hot dogs). Sometimes I'll buy Sheldon's or Applgate Farm Natural Meats, but otherwise the only packaged meats I eat are certain brands of bacon and occassionaly pepperoni. When I do so, I look at the type of sweetener that's used. If it's only Sucrose/Cane sugar or Glucose/Dextrose I look to see if it's 2g or less. If it is, that doesn't pose a problem for me and I'll purchase it.

So there is something to be said for:

~ TYPE of sweetener you are consuming

~ Amount of sweetener per serving

~ Whether it is combined with a certain amount of fiber and other nutrients.

In determining whether a food item will be an issue for you or not!

Peace