Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JeNNa86

I have insulin resistance and high testosterone

I have been sufferening with acne for over 10 years! I dont know what else to do. I know I have IR and high test. ( I had a blood test done by an endo) all he did was put me on metformin and said my acne would clear from it. I'm currently taking 1000mg of metformin daily but I am still breaking out. Definitely not as bad as before but Im not clear. I came on here to see what vitamins I should be taking but there's just way too many you guys have listed. I need to know which ones re best for me and how much. I would really appreciate if someone could tell me so I can just print out a list to take to the store :)

So far I've read about these:

Chromium Picolinate

Cinnamon

Lipoic Acid

Taurine

Fiber

Fish Oil

Cod Liver Oil

Peppermint tea

Saw Palmetto

Zinc, fish oil, chromium, taurine, and Vitamin D are probably your best bets. Drinking peppermint tea might also help.

I also highly suggest cutting back on some of the carbs from your diet.

If you have insulin resistance you must

exercise daily

lose fat% (go into a gym and have your fat% measure by calipers)

eat more often 5-6 smaller meals a day

decrease carbs a bit (i.e going from 200 grams to 130 grams)

I have been sufferening with acne for over 10 years! I dont know what else to do. I know I have IR and high test. ( I had a blood test done by an endo) all he did was put me on metformin and said my acne would clear from it. I'm currently taking 1000mg of metformin daily but I am still breaking out. Definitely not as bad as before but Im not clear. I came on here to see what vitamins I should be taking but there's just way too many you guys have listed. I need to know which ones re best for me and how much. I would really appreciate if someone could tell me so I can just print out a list to take to the store :)

So far I've read about these:

Chromium Picolinate

Cinnamon

Lipoic Acid

Taurine

Fiber

Fish Oil

Cod Liver Oil

Peppermint tea

Saw Palmetto

What Starrybabe said - except I only take cod liver oil as a supp.

The very low carb is important. All animal protein and fat, veges but NOT potato corn or beans/legumes, its the best thing for insulin resistance. Takes time but hormones should balance. I have exactly the same problems as you and i'm pretty much clear from this.

Expect to feel really crap the first week or so as you adjust to the diet.

The endo says I have PCOS. I dont have cysts, Im actually underweight, and regular periods.

I am scared if I do a low carb I'm going to get thinner! I DONT want that to happen :( What should I do?

Also, how much of each should i take?

The endo says I have PCOS. I dont have cysts, Im actually underweight, and regular periods.

I am scared if I do a low carb I'm going to get thinner! I DONT want that to happen :( What should I do?

Also, how much of each should i take?

The best and easiest combo I've found so far is soluble fiber at every meal + peppermint tea, and optionally, vitamin D.

Soluble fiber has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity, and peppermint tea is an anti-androgen. This combo works really well for me. I also think Vitamin D is great stuff, I think the majority of people are vitamin D deficient. Vitamin D improve glucose metabolism, and reduces skin cell hyperproliferation.

I don't agree about very low-carb being the best option for insulin resistance and neither studies agree with it. First of all we need to consider the problem of people who don't tolerate very low carb regimes cause their body won't adapt to efficiently sustain itself on just fatty acids and ketone bodies. But on the second place we must also consider the long term impact of low carb eating on people who are predisposed to insulin resistance.

First of all people with insulin resistance need to exercise intensely enough (not saying they should wear themselves off but they at least not being able to read a magazine while using the treadmill)

People with insulin resistance are the very same people whose glycemic sensitivity don't allow them to function at their best while getting their energy mainly from fatty acids and ketone bodies.

This means that they won't be able to sustain the kind of exercise that they need to improve their metabolism or that they will sustain it at the expense of catabolizing muscle mass.

Except for the first period in which they effectively deplete glycogen and improve glucose tolerance (by making the body craves carbohydrates) after some time very low carbohydrates diets impair insulin sensitivity. The reasons are many including the activity of leptin, bouts of hypoglycemia and too low glycosilated hemoglobin, increasing in IGF-1 production, catecholamines synthesis, hematic fatty acids but also the glycogen depletion itself since long term glycogen depletion decrease protein synthesis and insulin sensitivity.

When one reaches this levels eating carbs will reset all the bad things that are happening in the body and will improve everything including insulin sensivity, glucose tolerance, leptin and catecholamines activity, glycogen metabolism, energy levels and so on on.

After some time there might be an oversaturation of this situation and there will be a return to the first insulin resistance phase. At which point gonig very low carb will reset all the bad things happening and will improve all the marks and profiles of glucose metabolism.

What I'm saying is that very low carb diets (usually and when trying to deal with insulin resistance) work short term for a certain time then things get worse. Giving the body the carbs it is craving work short term for a certain time then things get worse.

There have been a series of studies lately looking at insulin, EPOC, sugar metabolism and the studies have been long term enough to notice the pattern, which couldn't be seen in the majority of short term studies done before.

So, provided that if someone tolerate low carb diets without problems and keeps seeing good results in blood works then even the Atkins approach might be working (the problem with Atkins is that he had no idea what he was talking about all the time, mixing half-truths with flawed conclusion, conceptual mistakes and exaggerated hype) the best approach to insulin resistance (other than exercizing) is carb cycling. Carb cycling is exactly what is means; instinctive increasing and decreasing of carbs to follow the timing of enzymatic and hormonal adaptation within the body or timing of bouts of energy expenditure. It might mean doing one day no carb and one day moderate carb, or doing 3 days low carb and 1 day higher carb, or doing exercising days higher carbs and non-exercising days very low carbs, or just going low carb when you feel the spaciness, tiredness and bloatedness of "carb overload" and going higher carb when you feel the confusion, sloweness and fogginess of "carb depletion" and so on.

I'm not trying to convince those who are having success with steady very low carb approaches but I have to disagree when you say they're the best approach overall and universally for insulin resistance. I have also to disagree that there are evidences that very low carb is the best thing for the body and compared to healthy higher carb approach is better at improving health problems because is not true, expecially long term.

Jenna - i have the same problem on you. I've had acne 12 years and after 8 years of research, I self-diagnosed myself as having too much "testosterone" as you call it (we call it androgens/insulin resistance on this forum).

My acne is horrible... But out of the insulin regulators that you listed, I would definitely say you should do the Cinnamon and Chromium Picolinate. I am on 200mg of Chromium and 9 grams cinnamon -- my skin has been clear for a month. The other supplements arent very strong --at least compared to Cinnamon and picolinate.

After you decide that you want off the majority of your medications, you should consider getting on a diet that re-sensitizes you to insulin. There is a diet called the "low-fat low-GI diet " which 3 of my diabetic friends tried...and they were taken off all their diabetic medications within 3 weeks. I'm planning on going on that diet in this next week....

GOOD LUCK! I'm in your same boat.

What Danny says may well be correct, but remember 'carbs' doesnt mean bread and pasta, it means fruits and vegetables and nuts if you can tolerate them. What i'm doing is staying low carb (meat, fat and veges) until im 100% satisfied with my skin (its gets better every week) and then I will up the fruit veg and try some nuts and see what happens. If all goes well I might try some limited sprouted grains or fermented sourdough grains, but grains arent good for a number of reasons, if you read through previous board msgs - do some searches - youll find out all about it.

If you go this route just please remember to get plenty of fat, olive oil, quality butter and fatty grass fed meat is great, fatty fish good too. You might lose a bit at first but youll more than likely gain weight when your body adjusts and youre getting plent of good fat.

self-diagnosed myself as having too much "testosterone" as you call it (we call it androgens/insulin resistance on this forum).

BosR --- I said too much "testosterone" (more specifically, androgens). Not estrogen.

The majority of acne is caused by androgen problems... Very few people suffer from acne caused by estrogen problems. I know for a fact that androgens are my problem because anti-androgens clears my skin within a matter of days.

A hormone imbalance is very hard to pin down. Estrogen could really be the root cause. Once meat is digested it produces estrogen, once Soy is digested it produces estrogen. Look at the US diet today, soy and meat make a good part of it. Also, just because your skin is getting clearer does not mean you are getting better. It might just be masking the effect. What you think is helping you might be hurting you and what you think is hurting might be helping, something to think about.

Just be careful, hormones are dangerous to mess with!

I just dont understand. If metformin (glucophage) is suppose to make me NON insulin resistant & the doc also said it will also cut down my testosterone. And if I add spironolactone wouldn't that solve all my insulin/androgen probs and allow me to eat whatever I would want? I havent taken the 2 together yet.

Of course it apparently isnt doing that since I am still breaking out, but shouldn't it make me not have to diet since the med should be taking care of all my probs?!?! I thought that was what the med was for. He also said I could eat whatever I want since Im on the med. That's just what I dont get.

He also wants me on BC pills but I think those just add hormones which make me break out worse....so im not on them.

All these pills aren't the answer. I really do believe that diet alone can get your body back in balance. No pills or supplements needed!

Hmm. Researchers know for a fact that 80% of acne is caused by excess androgen problems. Many birth control pills which were created to stop acne are labeled as Anti-Androgens.

If you are confused on this topic, Wiki is a good place to start. Search for "acne" on there.

Hmm. Researchers know for a fact that 80% of acne is caused by excess androgen problems. Many birth control pills which were created to stop acne are labeled as Anti-Androgens.

If you are confused on this topic, Wiki is a good place to start. Search for "acne" on there.

Do you have PCOS? It sounds like you've been prescribed common medications for PCOS.

Here is some info I gathered for my sister-in-law during the big DIM and estrogen dominance threads, which you might read. There is all kinds of hormone and health related info in them. Especially the post that said DIM did not help. Sorry, I don't recall the poster's name, but she was a vegatarian. Do a search and then look for the threads from the middle of March.

Anyway, here's the info:

PCOs, diet and hormones:

Click link at bottom of page: http://www.camucamufruit.com/

Study on diet and PCOS:

http://www.greenjournal.org/cgi/content/full/95/2/245

http://www.drlam.com/A3R_brief_in_doc_form...n_Dominance.cfm

Edit: I just removed a lot of it because this thread would be easier to follow:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...0187&hl=DIM

WOW! Thank you all VERY much!!! I have been diagnosed with pcos but i have regular periods, no cysts on my ovaries, and im underweight. My blood showed I have high insulin and testosterone. Now I just went to my derm today who has put me on the spiro and he said when he tested my blood levels (this was back in novemeber 07) they were normal....87. So does an endocrinologist like in depth test sugar levels (i remember he tested where they were coming from) or is all the sugar levels just 1 category?!

Jenn, it's up to you which road you take, but i'll let you know what ive learned from reading these boards and other boards based on what results people have been getting, ie case by case evidence.

1.Everyone has a different theory, often multiple theories, that come and go and sometimes stick like a religion, often based on science designed to sell products or defend medical dogma thats been around for years.

2. No-one knows the answer. They get snippets of info from blood tests, a recent experiment usually with loads of variables, and theories about whats going on down to the last molecule are readily formed and latched on to. Yet no-one understands the human body, there's still loads we dont know, we're just digging at the surface. A perfect example; you have a set of symptoms, youve been told they add up to PCOS, yet they could mean a variety of other things, and PCOS in itself is merely a name for something that isnt understood, nor does any doctor know the cause and the cure.

3. The best way to help yourself is to go on what has been working for others, and in particular others with your symptoms (insulin and androgens), remembering that they are two factors in a sea of processes that could be leading to your acne.

4. I have found from reading other's practical experience that there is a lot of dissapointment in meds, spiro and metformin have side effects, and often only work slightly or wear off, do an advanced search for these in the forums and goodle.

5. Anyone who gives you dietry advice or supplement advice who is still asking questions and trying to clear their acne (often they will have harsh cleansing regimes in their signiture) DOES NOT obviously know what they are saying, and are usually following dogma that has been drilled in to them from day one (whole grains, cholesterol etc) it takes extensive research to uncover mainstream gov health lies. Ingnore dietry advice from ppl who arent clear from their own dietry advice.

6. I have found through much searching, that many many people, for one reason or another, have cleared not just inflammation but also have cleared or in the process of clearing clogged pores/blackheads by eating a low-carb high fat, animal and vegetable based diet, without grains or milk. The number who clear up on atkins is absurd, and the number who cut out dairy and clear is aslo staggering. It also happes to be the diet we most likely evolved on over 000's of years. It's hard at the start but the health and energy I have gained is priceless.

7. Some people have found success with a vegetarian fruit style low fat style approach. Many have not and have come here as vegetarians.

So there you go. You can go the pill route but I hope you dont find dissapointment in it, it doesn't address the true cause. The above is fact based on hundreds of anecdotal cases I have read and my own experience. Its not dogma, you can make up your own mind. If anything you should start doing searches on here to find out other's experiences with whatever you plan to do. Good luck!

Yeah I am really going to change my diet!!!! Is there a link so I can see which foods are high in fat and low in carbs? Especially fruit because I eat a lot of fruit so I need to know which ones contain a lot of sugar.