Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Complex

Starting Accutane Trip...

I'm planning on starting Accutane tomorrow. Figured I'd start some sort of weekly log. Also had a few questions for all of you vets of this crazy drug.

So as you probably just noticed, I consider this a crazy drug. I really didn't want to take it but I'm at a point where topicals don't seem to do much of anything and I want to get started on something productive before I get worse.

I'm pretty much scared shitless about this drug. Just the packaging alone is so god damn menacing. I'm taking the Sotret stuff and each capsule has like the little creepy pregnant lady x-ed out with a red line. Oh and I'm a male so that really doesn't apply to me. But still creepy.

Anywho.

The Basics - Male, 16. Mild to Moderate Acne. Can look good somedays, can look like crap and bother me throughout the week other days. Today just happens to be a good day. Must be a good time to start.

I've attached a photo of me in Prom tux to this. Kind of one side of my face, but you can see it.

So I'll probably update this fully tomorrow night after I really start using the drug. I've got a few questions you guys can help me with though first.

1. Best time to take it? Morning or Night? I eat at a consistent time every morning and I know that consistent is best.

2. For IB, what week usually during first month? I ask because I've got 3 concerts I'm attending next week (Tegan and Sara, Death Cab, and Coachella). Coachella as some of you may know is basically in the desert of Souther California. Hot sun.

3. To go along with that last part, what kind of protection for my skin against the sun works best?

4. Last question, I swear. Besides this praised Aquaphor and some Cedaphil moisturizer, what else is recommended for keeping my skin moisturized and happy (for lack of a better term) looking?

Thanks guys. I look foward to keeping up with this log.

post-71058-1208575409_thumb.jpg

post-71058-1208575409_thumb.jpg

1. Best time to take it? Morning or Night? I eat at a consistent time every morning and I know that consistent is best.

2. For IB, what week usually during first month? I ask because I've got 3 concerts I'm attending next week (Tegan and Sara, Death Cab, and Coachella). Coachella as some of you may know is basically in the desert of Souther California. Hot sun.

3. To go along with that last part, what kind of protection for my skin against the sun works best?

4. Last question, I swear. Besides this praised Aquaphor and some Cedaphil moisturizer, what else is recommended for keeping my skin moisturized and happy (for lack of a better term) looking?

Thanks guys. I look foward to keeping up with this log.

Guest Bubbly

Hey there :). I just started too... Today is day 4 for me. As for your questions...

- Whether you take it morning or night is all up to you. However, I have heard from one or two people that taking it in the morning made them feel slugish compared to taking it at night (although, that might be all in their heads). Consistency is very important.

- Everyone is different as far as the IB goes. Personally, this is my 3rd course and I've never had an IB from Accutane.

- Basically just get a very good sunscreen. The higher SPF the better. Try reading reviews of different sunscreens to see what is good for acne prone skin.

- Aside from Aquaphor, Carmex is GREAT for lips. A lot of people here that are on Accutane are using it (including myself).

Good Luck!

Hey there :). I just started too... Today is day 4 for me. As for your questions...

- Whether you take it morning or night is all up to you. However, I have heard from one or two people that taking it in the morning made them feel slugish compared to taking it at night (although, that might be all in their heads). Consistency is very important.

- Everyone is different as far as the IB goes. Personally, this is my 3rd course and I've never had an IB from Accutane.

- Basically just get a very good sunscreen. The higher SPF the better. Try reading reviews of different sunscreens to see what is good for acne prone skin.

- Aside from Aquaphor, Carmex is GREAT for lips. A lot of people here that are on Accutane are using it (including myself).

Good Luck!

Start (2 days after start)

Everything drying out, a few little pimples here and there. Nothing too bad. One that was bothering me seemed to go down and is gone.

Lips aren't dry yet.

1 Week and a Half

Lips are finally starting to crack and hurt. The skin right between my nose and lips was really dry today. I've had a lot of breakouts lately so I'm assuming that was the initial breakout. Seems like it'll come, it'll stay for a day or two, go away then return in new spots. Vicious cycle I can almost pinpoint now.

I've had an itchy scalp the past few days too, but really those are the only side effects I've had.

No tiredness, no joint ache, no rashes, none of that.

So far not much has happened but I'm sure with time the breakouts will stop and I'll notice the difference.

Almost a month

I love this accutane. I'm glad I went on it.

Most everything that bothered me is off my face and I'm not getting many of the ones that are in the obvious places either now.

I've had about 3 days where my self-confidence was just sky high. I felt great. Felt like something new. I'm less reluctant already to worry so much about going outside in the morning in natural light, whatever.

And so far I haven't had anything other than the dry scalp and really dry lips. And the lips aren't even that bad. Except when I had tacos with hot sauce the other day and didn't have any aquaphor with me, wow that burned.

But really, nothing that bothers me.

I look foward to the next two months, it can only get better.

I encourage all who may be weary to go on it.

I'm on the 40 mg dose, 1 time a day.

A quick queston. I'm coming up on the end of my first month in like two days.

And I had to change my appt to a later date, a week from when I take my last pill.

Is it a smart idea to try and take the last few pills spaced out so as to not have a large gap or does it really not matter?