Notifications
Clear all

Electric Cauterization?

MemberMember
(@complexmind)

Posted : 04/16/2008 3:35 pm

Today for my first appt. I went to the cosmetic surgeon/derm about a icepick scar on my cheek thinking I might have to schedule to have it excised. The cosmetic surgeon/derm right away wanted to do a procedure that consisted of him poking the ice-pick scar with a needle with electric current. He called this procedure "Electric Cauteriation" (sp?). He told me this was better than having the ice-pick excised because ussually the stitches come apart.

He didnt want to spend too much time explaining about this procedure, just wanted to do it and move on to the next patient. He couldnt say how many times this would need to be done in the future, or what to expect for down time would be or anything else. He said the procedure only takes 1-2 minutes and it is "no big deal."

I didnt feel comfortable so I told him I had to research it to think about it, because I didnt know anything about it. They didnt have any brochures or anything in the office. So I left. Dont know what to think. I just dont want the scar looking worse. He didnt explain anything. Anyone have any opions on all of this? Has anyone ever had this done? Im pretty sure this treatment is similar to TCA Cross, but burning the skin with electo stimulation instead of acid. I know TCA can make your scars look pretty bad for a few weeks, and I wasnt ready for that.

MemberMember
(@alec-eiffel)

Posted : 04/16/2008 5:17 pm

You done the right thing. If that guy can't give more information on his procedure and just want to get to the next patient he's just being an idiot.

MemberMember
(@xxxaaa)

Posted : 04/16/2008 8:20 pm

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002359.htm

http://www.pennhealth.com/ency/article/002359.htm

http://www.healthcentral.com/ency/408/002359.html

I would think this would be used for keloid/raised scarring, since it states it would destroy tissue.

MemberMember
(@brookeugogirl)

Posted : 04/22/2008 9:39 am

You did the absolutely right thing. These weasel doctors think they are god's gift. They don't realize that we are real people with real feelings. They probably think what the heck if I mess up one or two more scars, what would be the big deal?

IT IS A BIG DEAL!

Good for you, for walking out and saying you have to do research and think about it.

If only, I had taken this route!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 03/07/2011 2:01 am

isnt electric cautery usually used to get rid of bumps on the face?

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 03/07/2011 2:37 am

Heard of it to get rid of lesions not icepicks.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 03/07/2011 3:26 am

yea, but does the electric cautery itself leave any scars?

MemberMember
(@tawnie)

Posted : 05/01/2019 7:18 pm

I just had this done on acne scarring except that in my case the nurse cauterized around on the "rim" of the scar not in the scar which she explained was more effective. It definitely isn't pain free and actually works fabulously it can also be used to spot treat large pores. I had received 2 treatments of TCA cross with decent results except I was looking for something more aggressive. I plan on returning every six wks for treatment until I'm satisfied with my skin.