Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DawgDaze64

Spiro Side Effects

Hi All,

I've posted on here several times in the past, but mostly just lurk.

So, quickly for b'ground info:

Struggled on and off since my teens with acne. An eight month course of Accutane in my early twenties nipped it completely in the bud for about 10-12 years. Then small breakouts. Went off BCP when I turned 40 and all hell broke loose, with cystic acne rearing its ugly head on chin area. Back to dermo for Benzaclin and Retin A. Held breakouts mostly at bay. Dermo retired. New dermo wants to continue previous therapy but with addition of Spiro because she says this is hormonal acne. Yay!

I'm on my fifth day of Spiro, a 25 mg pill I'm to take once a day in the a.m. for 14 days. If I respond well, my dermo will up the dosage.

After breakfast today, my husband and I headed out to some mountain trails for our weekly hike. I'm very active – hardly a day goes by that I don't bike, hike, run, or lift weights. Only this morning, I couldn't make it beyond a couple miles up the mountain. Felt headachy, listless, and weirdly spacey. Was literally stopped in my tracks and could barely make it back down. Could this be the spiro, and so soon? Anyone else experience this?

Thanks for your feedback!

Hello - I usually only lurk here also... I have been on Spiro for over a month. I started at 25 mg twice daily and am now up to 50 mg twice daily. I also noticed side-effects after about two weeks into taking it, so I think your symptoms could be from the medication. What happened to you sounds like classic dehydration which can happen on Spiro because it's a diuretic. My symptoms weren't dehydration related though - I was feeling (and still do off and on) heart palpitations which as far as I know is a symptom of low blood pressure. (Spiro lowers blood pressure.)

Hello - I usually only lurk here also... I have been on Spiro for over a month. I started at 25 mg twice daily and am now up to 50 mg twice daily. I also noticed side-effects after about two weeks into taking it, so I think your symptoms could be from the medication. What happened to you sounds like classic dehydration which can happen on Spiro because it's a diuretic. My symptoms weren't dehydration related though - I was feeling (and still do off and on) heart palpitations which as far as I know is a symptom of low blood pressure. (Spiro lowers blood pressure.)

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. I have been trying for two days now to get my doctor to call me back. I stopped taking the Spiro, but still don't feel right – very lethargic, almost flu-like, but that's not quite it. Honestly, I have never felt this way before, it's not a feeling I can attribute to anything. And if it's dehydration, boy that's a lot of water I'll have to drink! I already feel like I'm peeing 24/7.

This is very frustrating because if I knew these were short term side effects, I'd deal. But anything else long term is not going to cut it. I can't keep up my training feeling like this. I will just have to wait until The Doctor finds the time to call me back.

Thanks and, BTW, has spiro helped your skin?

I'm on spiro and also a distance runner (marathons). Unfortunately, I did go through a couple of months of fatigue when I started 75 mg/day spiro. Sometimes I felt like I was walking through mud all day. Training sucked.

Fatigue is listed as a side-effect either because of dehydration, slightly lower bp, or just adjusting to the med. It is SUPPOSED to subside after a while.

I was committed to giving spiro a shot and just dealt with it. Now, I'm over 9 months and my running is fine. good luck!

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. I have been trying for two days now to get my doctor to call me back. I stopped taking the Spiro, but still don't feel right – very lethargic, almost flu-like, but that's not quite it. Honestly, I have never felt this way before, it's not a feeling I can attribute to anything. And if it's dehydration, boy that's a lot of water I'll have to drink! I already feel like I'm peeing 24/7.

This is very frustrating because if I knew these were short term side effects, I'd deal. But anything else long term is not going to cut it. I can't keep up my training feeling like this. I will just have to wait until The Doctor finds the time to call me back.

I have been on spiro for going on 8 months. In the begining I had some side effects and temporarily each time they increased my dosage. However now I rarely have issues and if I do I can usually attribute it to not drinking my water. Once your body is accustumed to the medicine and you are well hydrated I think the peeing all the time should slow down some. Or at least it has for me. I still go more than I used to, but it is tolerable and a welcome price for the improvements I've gotten.

As far as it having helped. YES YES YES! I started out with painful cystic acne on most of my face but highly concentrated in the chin/jawline area. My whole face was red, sensitive to the touch (incredibly painful) and puffy from swelling. My starting regimen was differin gel .3% and Mimyx moisturizer used while taking Solodyn (an antibiotic). It helped, but did not come close to making it go away and left my skin very irritated and dry. I now use Cerave lotion prior to the Differin then apply the Mimyx. After several weeks of that routine (still taking the antibiotics) he made the addition of 50 mg Spiro and Nicomide (a vitiamin to help with healing of lesions and scars). Within a couple of weeks I noticed an improvement. The dosage was increased twice keeping all other items in the regimen the same. I now take 200mg a day and am completely clear. I will typically get one or two TINY pimples as I near my monthly, but beyond that there is usually nothing. My skin is clear, my scars are fading, I even have a glow to me. My boyfriend and my family have taken to caressing my cheeks. My boyfriend has said "They are so soft... it's like your skin is not real... it's kind of creepy." People I haven't seen in years make comments about my glow and ask if I am tanning (nope, just not beat red anymore). It has been like a miracle drug for me. I realize all cases are different, but any side effects I've had are well worth it for the results I've gotten. I've dealt with this stuff consistently since I was 11 I am now 28 and I cried the day I looked in the mirror and I was completely clear. It was like winning the lottery!!

If you are having problems, definately talk to your doctor. There could be an easy solution (like the cerave for my dry skin).

Best of luck!!

MeLissa

Hi tcjetsetter and N-jin-ear (clever!)

Thanks for your replies. My doc's nurse aide finally called back and suggested I come in for some blood work to see if my potassium levels were elevated. I'm also now experiencing terrible diarrhea. But that could also be attributed to the Duac. I just now learned last week, after the doc switched me from Benzaclin to Duac, that both can cause upset stomach and diarrhea, which I've been struggling on and off with for a year. Gee, would have been nice if my previous doc had told me that! So now there's THAT to deal with, now that I know what might be causing it.

tc, it's good to hear a fellow athlete slogged through it, and N-jin-ear, I'm glad you're finally clear. I know what that moment feels like. I hope to feel it again soon!

Hi there,

Hey again,

I hope your tests work out well and your potassium levels are OK - I know that can be an issue for some. So far I've been alright with that but I have only been on it for about a month and a half, which I suppose would make it too soon to tell just how much it is helping my skin. As of now I can say that I have improved some and I have not gotten worse. I know that a lot of people experience IB and that was not the case for me. My worst breakout period had always been about days 12-24 of my cycle and for the past two cycles it seems to have narrowed down to days 20-24. I believe my skin is less oily too. I am also using Benzacliin and Differin which I had started a few months prior to the Spiro. Doing so has kept my skin from having full-blown, horrible breakouts but they weren't working well enough on their own. I hope you can work through the side-effects you are experiencing and get some relief soon!