Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I wanted to inform everyone about my personal experience with Spironolactone

Some History

I have had acne since I was about 14 and first got my period. As a teen, I was very oily and had a completely different type of acne. Now, I am in my mid 20's and as many of you know, adult acne is so much worse than teenage acne. I have tried just about everything out there....Murad, Proactiv, have been on every antibiotic, used all kinds of topicals (Retin-A Micro, Duac, Differin, Tazorac, Azalex, Benzaclin), tried overwashing my face, underwashing my face, monthly facials, accupuncture and herbs, microdermabrasion, tons of product lines from Sephora, the candida diet, and the acne free in 3 days where you eat apples for 3 days, really, you name it, I have tried it and nothing worked. My acne is pretty bad and it is hormonal, it ruins my life on some days.

Anyways, after being on Zithromax, Duac, and Retin A micro for about 2 years straight (this was working the best), I moved out of state and switched to a new derm. After telling her my life story, we discussed Spironolatone and gave it a shot. This was back in November 2007. Now, in April of 2008 I am actually clear. I want everyone to understand that this stuff is the only thing that has worked and if you are considering it, please try it! I did not start to see full results until about 5 months. I did have initial breakouts and some dizzyness for about the first month and a half. The other side effects I have experienced are larger breasts (similar to being on the BC pill), being a little more thirsty, and irregular periods, but to be able to look in the mirror and be happy, I think its so worth it. I do get a pimple or two around my period, but NOTHING like before. They heal about 5 times faster than they used to and are alot smaler and easier to deal with.

I just want to stress the point that it did take a long time to work. I did not see results even in the first 3 1/2 months, so if you are taking Spiro, please keep taking it. My dosage is 50mg 2x a day. I also take 250MG of Azithromycin 3x a week and use Benzaclin or Duac topically if something pops up. Please feel free to ask any questions you have. I want other people to try this, because if it worked for me, it has to work for some of you guys out there.

That's awesome...great to hear that. I'm currently taking Spiro to keep my skin tame after being on Accutane a couple years ago. My skin, for the past 5 years, never did cease to break out during the hot summer months- so I'm hoping Spiro will help.

Glad to hear it is working for you! :D It worked for me too. I wish I could use it again, but I'm trying to get pregnant now. Once I'm done having kids, I'll definitely be back on it. ;)

Glad to hear it is working for you! :D It worked for me too. I wish I could use it again, but I'm trying to get pregnant now. Once I'm done having kids, I'll definitely be back on it. ;)

Hey Kriszti,

Its funny you should mention that. We want to start trying to have kids around the end of the summer. It will be the first time in almost a decade that I will not be taking stuff for my skin. How long have you been off of it, and how is your skin doing? I probably would be pregnant right now if the Spiro was unsuccessful with clearing me up. I know it is so worth it and everything...I just wish acne was not an issue when it comes ot being pregnant.

Hey Kriszti,

My derm told me that Benzaclin is safe, but that would be the only thing she would prescribe while ttc or pregnant. I figure I will cross that bridge when I come to it. I hope you become pregnant soon! How was your acne during your pregnancy?

Please, help me, if you take spiro, how do you do in order not to faint? Because I have to leave the treatment, because of that?

Hi,

Does you doctor check your potassium levels? How much of a dosage are you taking? How long have you been taking it for?

Hey Kriszti,

My derm told me that Benzaclin is safe, but that would be the only thing she would prescribe while ttc or pregnant. I figure I will cross that bridge when I come to it. I hope you become pregnant soon! How was your acne during your pregnancy?

Hey Kriszti,

It was up and down. It would be really good for a while and then I'd break out for a few weeks. My scalp was just awful though! My hair was so greasy and my scalp was covered in acne. Nasty! :sick: