Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Da Real BucK

Is Alpha Hydrox AHA enough exfoliation?

Is simply applying Alpha Hydrox AHA enough ex foliation to get rid of all the dead skin cells? How often should I apply this every week, because it kinda burns and irritates my skin a bit; causes flakiness.

Well, you could apply it 2-3 times a week to get the desired results.. You don't have to use anything everyday. I would try to pace it as my skin reacts to it.

You may also want to try a cleansing method that helps get the flakes off. It sounds like your skin may be sensitive, so experimenting in one area, or simply going slowly would probably be a good idea.

Myself, I use the babybrush method, if you like, you can read about it here.-

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...abybrush+method

Sounds silly, but it really works well.

Good luck! :)

(I should maybe add, that I am not on Dan's regimen... (but I gather it's good stuff) ;) )

Alpha Hydrox Lotion is definitely enough exfoliation. I use Neutrogena Healthy Skin Lotion which has a little less AHA than Alpha Hydrox, so you should be fine. Once a day should do it, less if you find you don't need as much. Start slow. I find that I need quite a bit of exfoliation, so I use it every day AND I have to shave (a major form of exfoliation for guys) or I get quite flaky.