Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Khrysalis

Anybody out there get scalp zits?

I used to get them, but they stopped immediately when I started taking spironolactone. The spiro stopped my hair and skin from getting oily, and now my hair isn't oily at all. It's great, if you have an oil problem it may be something to look into.

If that isn't an option for you, I'd recommend cutting back on any styling products you're using, or only use them on the ends of your hair away from your scalp. Hair stuff is notorious for causing scalp and forehead breakouts.

There are also clarifying shampoos out there meant for people with oily hair, which should help clear you up a bit. I've heard that anti-dandruff shampoo works really well for that stuff too.

Casey23: They do go away eventually, but they can sometimes be slow to heal, and I have a hard time resisting picking at them, which I know is bad. Maybe because it's my scalp. No worries about scars, unlike the rest of me. I've had many over the years.

GeekyGal: I don't use any hair products other than shampoo, sometimes conditioner. I'll look into that spiro thing you mentioned, though, as oil is a problem for me. Right now, I use Neutrogena on the Spot during the day for oil. But I can't let more than a day go by without washing my hair because of the oil.

I just got over one scalp zit recently and thought of treating with BP but didn't. I'd probably have to have my husband apply it, though, otherwise it would probably make a mess of my hair.

Thanks, guys! :D

I would say its time to look into shampoos. For instance, I had problems with regular head and shoulders but did well with the head and shoulders for fine/oily hair, and even better with garnier fructis for normal hair.

I used to have a lot of problems with that and hairline acne until I started using Biolage NORMALISING shampoo and Biolage NORMALISING conditioner. (Don't let them try to sell you Volumising.) Suave clarifying is much cheaper, but very detergent and hard on your hair. I buy the stuff by the gallon (literally) from my hairdresser. I use the Biolage gel, too. Makes a HUGE difference for me.

Well, I just tend to use whatever my husband buys or gets for free from his sister or mom, as they tend to overbuy when there's a sale. We'd been using Head and Shoulders for a few months and now that that's gone, I see, upon inspecting the shower that we have a brand-new bottle of Suave Clarifying shampoo.

Cecelia: So Suave Clarifying you consider as good as Biolage, only harsher on hair? If that's the case, I'll just stick with this stuff for the time being since it's free.

Scalp zits aren't a huge problem for me but it does happen from time to time and it's just more annoying than anything else.

Thanks a bunch, guys! :D

I get acne on my scalp fairly continuously. Not more than 4 at a time, though. The only thing that has helped me was to wash my hair twice per day and use shampoo without fragrance or dyes. No conditioner. Ever. Washing my hair twice per day dried out my ends, though, so I'm back to only washing it once and dealing with a few zits. I might get my hair cut shorter and try it again.

I`ve found that if keep hair very short hair on the scalp will not get any acne breaks/boils.lumps.

Once hair starts to get long that is when start to develop.

I get them along my hair-line, and I believe they have to do with oil; I've had alot less since I cut my hair off.

I treat mine with bp, and the hair doesn't bleach.

I used to get bad painful ones but after some Nicomide it cleared it up. Now I don't get any. I don't know what they'd come from. Just normal oil on the hair I guess.

i occasionally get them anywhere on my hairline and yes they hurt. my dad gets them on his scalp so he just pours 10% bp all over cuz his hair's already white lol