Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ardelle

I'm losing hope. Any help here?

So for the past year, my skin has been horribly oily. Even when I wash it well, half an hour later my skin is drenched in oil. I tried to use gentler products, thinking that I was just drying out my skin and my skin was producing more oil in response to the dryness, but even when I use really gentle stuff, my skin still gets oily. I also have acne too, and I break out easily, so I need something that will help with my acne along with the oiliness. Any ideas?

Have you tried using a toner of some sort?

I was having this problem as well a while back and decided to start using witch hazel as a toner and I've noticed a great improvement in the oil on my skin. :D Had to get used to the smell of it, but the smell fades away after it dries.

I have the same problem as you except it takes my face 1 hour to become extremely oily. I heard milk of Magnesia can also control shine but I also heard that it has a very high pH level..

I was having this problem as well a while back and decided to start using witch hazel as a toner and I've noticed a great improvement in the oil on my skin. :D Had to get used to the smell of it, but the smell fades away after it dries.

I have the same problem as you except it takes my face 1 hour to become extremely oily. I heard milk of Magnesia can also control shine but I also heard that it has a very high pH level..

Which brand of witch hazel toner are you using?

So for the past year, my skin has been horribly oily. Even when I wash it well, half an hour later my skin is drenched in oil. I tried to use gentler products, thinking that I was just drying out my skin and my skin was producing more oil in response to the dryness, but even when I use really gentle stuff, my skin still gets oily.

Ever heard of reactive seborrhoea? It's when the skin produces more oil to compensate for lost oil that has been stripped from the skin. I may be a new member, but I've read the site over at least twice, so I do know some info about skin. I only recently decided to join as a member to have access to the forums. ;)

Ever heard of reactive seborrhoea? It's when the skin produces more oil to compensate for lost oil that has been stripped from the skin.

So where are these threads you're talking about? Maybe I'm just being stupid and completely skipping over them while looking for them.

have you tried the oil cleansing method? I've been using it for about a month, and despite what bryan says, it works for my usually oily skin... I use castor, jojoba and vit e oil, and then use jojoba to moisturize afterwards.... My skin used to be oily like an hour after having a shower, and with this stuff I don't even wear powder or foundation any more (except for parties/special occasions) I agree with you in that stripping your skin of oils with harsh chemicals it will produce more oil.... it's your skins natural response telling it to lubricate over dried skin. So if you don't over dry your skin, but instead moisturize with oils that won't break you out, it could have a really good effect (like it did for me)... BTW the extra virgin olive oil DID break me out, but that doesn't happen to everyone

I just read those threads, and your theory and research is quite convincing and reasonable. I now see where you're coming from when you say that skin doesn't respond to dryness with overproduction of oil. But it still doesn't solve my oily skin problem, lol.

I still urge you to TRY the OCM. I've read his posts on those boards too and I'm not arguing with all his data, but I've had results with this method. Not only is my skin WAY less oily, but soooo many of those little flesh colored bumps (my whole forehead used to be covered with them) went away after a few weeks of use.

I read the OCM thread, and I kinda want to try it, but I just don't want to go and buy a bunch of different oils, to end up with a breakout. I do have this soap, though, that's made of olive oil, I think I could start with that and if I see any results, I'll move onto the actual OCM.

http://kissmyfacewebstore.com/detail/KMF+1..._Aloe_Bar_Soaps

Think it might work? Or is it just not enough oil to make a difference?

OP: I used to have impossibly oily skin. Now it's just oily, but manageable. For me, it was all due to hormones. I started taking B/C to control hormonal acne and I was FAR less oily. You might want to look into something to do with hormonal balance, whether it's birth control or something homeopathic/holistic (Morning Primrose oil, Wild Yam, etc). It may take a little longer to see results, but for me, it took as long as any other topical I've ever used and it's STILL working.

You can try a super low dosage of accutane like I'm doing now. It's working wonders though not everyone is willing to take the risk.

i was on accutane for 1 regular course... and wheni was on it my skin was awesome but a year and half later its not soo nice :( i would get back on accutane but im concerned about what it does to your bones... i had pretty mild knee soreness when on it

but yeah, accutane took care of the oil pretty quickly...

My boyfriend had really bad acne, years before he met me, and he went on accutane for about a year. From what he's told me, it was horrible when he was on it. But now, he has perfect skin. I don't know if it's a coincidence and he grew out of it? Because doesn't accutane stop working after you use it?

But don't dermatologists only go to Accutane as a last resort, after they've tried everything else for you? How much does it cost?