does peanut butter cuase acne for you?

MemberMember
(@dragon10)

Posted : 04/11/2008 3:01 pm

just wondeirng.. I need to get buff and peanut better is a good way to get fat

MemberMember
(@chowland)

Posted : 04/11/2008 3:13 pm

never caused me any issues. I love peanut butter.

MemberMember
(@teadrinker)

Posted : 04/11/2008 7:45 pm

edit

MemberMember
(@shavingwoes)

Posted : 04/11/2008 8:58 pm

Everyone's different; for me and a few others I know, nuts & peanuts make skin oilier and for me they also give little whiteheads in various areas of my face; nothing major but not worth it to consume them. You may be fine with it, you may not be; try it out.

MemberMember
(@ghostunit)

Posted : 04/11/2008 10:08 pm

Doesn't give breakout. only if ur allergic.

MemberMember
(@kiikyo)

Posted : 04/11/2008 10:25 pm

Peanut butter is a legume and not a nut. Peanuts are one of the most acidic foods on the stomach. Almonds are alkaline. As you probably know it's better to be alkaline than acidic for the majority of foods you eat. Peanuts cannot be eaten in their raw form and are always roasted. Most people on this message board suggest eating raw nuts compared to roasted nuts as they are better for you. So you can imagine that roasted legumes are a poorer choice than raw nuts.

I personally prefer the taste of peanut butter to almond butter. I eat the plain, no salt or sugar type. It's also $1.69 compared to $5.99 for a jar of almond butter. I noticed that PB gives me mild acne compared to when I eat almond butter, and PB makes my stomach sour if I eat a lot of it. But if you have to gain weight, I would definitely choose PB over other foods like butter, raisins, or dark chocolate. It's more satisfying. Coconut oil could also help if you cook with it.

MemberMember
(@stro)

Posted : 04/11/2008 10:32 pm

overeating peanut butter can cause acne yes. However when someone gets acne after peanut butter they are either allergic to the peanut, or most of all there is hydrogenated oil in the peanut butter. Your protein from nut consumption should be minimal. I feel your pain my acne started because i wanted to bulk up and put weight on. After years of research tests and studies the formation of acne is a much bigger problem than just peanut butter. but no hydrogenated oil in just concerns to peanut butter

MemberMember
(@jc812)

Posted : 04/11/2008 10:40 pm

I was eating pb&j sandwiches for a while and my mom says that my acne started because of it.

I thought it was crazy but now that I think about it, I didn't have acne issues back then!! (less than a year ago).

crap.

MemberMember
(@revivingophelia)

Posted : 04/11/2008 10:41 pm

to be on the safe side i actually prefer almond butter to peanut butter. although i get the kind where theres no skin in the almond butter but its kinda pricey like 14bucks but its so good.

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 04/11/2008 11:02 pm

Yes it does make me break out. Peanuts themselves break me out too

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/29/2009 10:26 pm

I'm pretty interested!

So I'm doing an experiment.

My skin is relatively clear right now, and I just got a sugar craving.

I'm going to eat few spoonfuls of peanut butter and see if I get a breakout tomorrow.

Will edit post tomorrow w/ the results

MemberMember
(@bananababe)

Posted : 09/24/2009 3:15 pm

Most posts on here are being really really paranoid, but there are generally adverse affects in everybody on everything. A lot of things on here that are known to make someone break out can be the one and only thing that causes your acne.

Peanut butter is supposed to improve skin as it has peanut oil and a good amount of vitamin e. Those eating almond butter are probably getting something a bit healthier just because almonds have different nutrients, but I'm sure are at least equally as good at peanut butter as improving skin.

Only those with any sort of allergy to peanut butter will break out when eating it.

MemberMember
(@amandakay_6)

Posted : 09/24/2009 8:24 pm

It makes my neck break out...I probably have an allergy to them even though it was not detected on an allergy test.

MemberMember
(@curlyq)

Posted : 09/24/2009 8:37 pm

PB makes my skin oily and increases my breakouts. I gave it up 2 years ago. You would have to do your own elimination diet to see how it affects your skin. That's how I figured it out.

MemberMember
(@anonymous-skin)

Posted : 09/24/2009 9:29 pm

Eating a lot of peanut butter will clear my skin, I haven't had any breakouts in a while so I haven't seen this in action. Peanut Butter is a good source of Resveratrol, Niacin and might be the only anti-inflammatory legume. People have had success with both Resveratrol and Niacin so that might have something to do with it. A lot of people seem to have completely different reactions to Peanut Butter so I'm not sure how much success you'll find in polling the board about it, I'll drop a recipe that involves peanut butter that I absolutely love eaten cold:

Chop up half an onion and a garlic clove, sautee on low with some sugar-free chicken broth. You could also add some chopped up red pepper.

Add some cumin, (a little) turmeric, oregano, cayenne or chili powder, ginger and maybe a little sea salt although I find this recipe needs none.

Finish it off with 2 Tablespoons Bragg's Liquid Amino's or Soy Sauce/Tamari if you don't have any and 2 Tablespoons Peanut Butter.

Serve it on top of steamed kale, I prefer the peanut sauce and kale to be cold.

MemberMember
(@caddy5)

Posted : 09/25/2009 12:22 am

Hi remember to get the natural peanut butter. Like Smucker's where the only ingredients are salt and peanuts. Don't get Jif or whatever that crap is called where they put HYDROGENATED OILS IN IT. THERE are a ton of brands that have HYDROGENATED OILS in them where people will buy blindly.

MemberMember
(@evasion)

Posted : 09/25/2009 9:25 am

I sometimes eat sugar free peanut butter with no hydrogenated oils. When I do eat it, I get small white bumps on the back of my neck. They aren't zits though it's weird.

MemberMember
(@physx)

Posted : 11/02/2009 3:25 pm

...what about Tahini (Sesame Paste/Butter) ...can I eat that instead?Because peanut butter will only cause me anxiety wherever , I will break out from it or not...

MemberMember
(@adamdolce10)

Posted : 11/03/2009 12:53 pm

The only thing I would say about tahini is the omega 6 to 3 ratio but other than that it is very healthy so don't worry bout it.

Also I eat almond butter and the brand i buy is biona organic natural almond butter where the ingredients list 100% organic almonds

but there is a layer of oil on top i was wondering would this almond oil cause acne?

MemberMember
(@physx)

Posted : 11/03/2009 3:19 pm

The only thing I would say about tahini is the omega 6 to 3 ratio but other than that it is very healthy so don't worry bout it.

Also I eat almond butter and the brand i buy is biona organic natural almond butter where the ingredients list 100% organic almonds

but there is a layer of oil on top i was wondering would this almond oil cause acne?

...why would almond oil cause acne? It is like olive oil , almost all monosaturated so it is supposed to be good...

MemberMember
(@adamdolce10)

Posted : 11/04/2009 9:28 am

Oh sorted I was just wondering because everyone says most oils cause acne

MemberMember
(@forest327)

Posted : 03/26/2011 10:08 am

I am convinced that peanut butter causes mild cystic acne for me but it usually takes 1-2 weeks to show up. I am 41 yrs old and had moderate whitehead with some cystic type acne in my teen and early 20s on my face and back. I rarely eat peanut butter as an adult because of the calories but had a craving last year so bought a jar and ate it over a couple weeks and about two weeks later got two big acne cysts on my face after very many years of not having that. I thought about what changed in my diet and then was suspicious the peanut butter caused it because it was the only thing different. A year later I tried having a couple of peanut butter sandwiches and a week later had two small cysts on my face again. Some people say it is "just the oil" but I eat a ton of almonds and other oily foods with no problems as an adult. Maybe I am wrong but I am pretty sure that peanut butter has a direct affect on causing cysts for me.

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 03/26/2011 3:58 pm

doesnt seem to make mine any worse.i eat natural pb, without added sucrose.

dairy and animal fat seems to make things worse.

MemberMember
(@switch124)

Posted : 03/26/2011 6:09 pm

Nuts break me out in the sideburn/neck area every time. I can get away with eating stuff with some nuts in it but peanut butter or almond butter consistently breaks me out.

MemberMember
(@iryry)

Posted : 03/26/2011 6:21 pm

Yes it did.

But I was eating the crappy KD version with all the added junk.