Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xstartofadisaster

Sensitive Skin & 5% Benzoyl Peroxide?

hey guys!

would it work if i try to use the 5% BP that my doctor prescribed me today on my sensitive skin?? i used to use stieva-a and zindaclin - that always made my skin more red than it actually was so i stopped using them and it made my skin dry too. im not sure if that means im allergic to it? but i definitely stopped using it because i couldnt bare the redness!

i just wondered if the 5% BP strength was as strong as the other tretinoins i have used in the past. cos my doctor said that the ones i used to use were stronger than what she is prescribing me... just wanted to make sure.

and how to eliminate redness caused by the topicals?

so all in all, do you think i shud give 5% BP on my sensitive skin a go???? lol

thanks!!!

Are you using any other prescriptions besides the 5% BP? That might impact how your skin responds to the new medication (if you are using other meds, it might make your skin more sensitive to the BP).

I would give it a try, but you may want to allow your skin to slowly adjust to the BP. The acne clinic I go to has a great method for getting your skin used to BP. I always had problems using it before I tried this method. It worked great for me, so you might try it too. Here is what you do:

1. For the first 3 nights, wash your face, apply the BP. Leave it on for 15 min and then wash it off.

2. For nights 4-6, do the same thing, only leave the BP on for 30 min and then wash it off.

3. Nights 7-9, same thing, only leave BP on for 1 hour and then wash it off.

4. Nights 10-13, same thing only leave BP on for 2 hours and then wash it off.

5. After that, you can leave it on all night.

BP totally screwed up my semi-sensitive skin for a few days, but I used the cheapo drugstore brand so that probably had something to do with it

Are you using any other prescriptions besides the 5% BP? That might impact how your skin responds to the new medication (if you are using other meds, it might make your skin more sensitive to the BP).

I would give it a try, but you may want to allow your skin to slowly adjust to the BP. The acne clinic I go to has a great method for getting your skin used to BP. I always had problems using it before I tried this method. It worked great for me, so you might try it too. Here is what you do:

1. For the first 3 nights, wash your face, apply the BP. Leave it on for 15 min and then wash it off.

2. For nights 4-6, do the same thing, only leave the BP on for 30 min and then wash it off.

3. Nights 7-9, same thing, only leave BP on for 1 hour and then wash it off.

4. Nights 10-13, same thing only leave BP on for 2 hours and then wash it off.

5. After that, you can leave it on all night.

nope i'm not using any topicals and haven't been using them for quite a while now :D however ive been using boots tea tree oil & witchazel line, such as their cleansing & toning lotion and the night treatment gel.

btw, i have bangs and i wanted to know if i had to use a headband to push it back before applying BP? cos i heard that it could bleach your hair and fabrics and whatnot!!! lol

BP totally screwed up my semi-sensitive skin for a few days, but I used the cheapo drugstore brand so that probably had something to do with it

ooh i see, my doctor prescribed me with PanOxyl Aquagel 5% Benzoyl Peroxide... dont think thats a cheap drugstore brand??!?!

nope i'm not using any topicals and haven't been using them for quite a while now :D however ive been using boots tea tree oil & witchazel line, such as their cleansing & toning lotion and the night treatment gel.

btw, i have bangs and i wanted to know if i had to use a headband to push it back before applying BP? cos i heard that it could bleach your hair and fabrics and whatnot!!! lol

ooh i see, my doctor prescribed me with PanOxyl Aquagel 5% Benzoyl Peroxide... dont think thats a cheap drugstore brand??!?!

The PanOxyl should be fine. Its not a cheap drugstore brand. The problem with some of the drugstore brands is that some are not formulated properly (e.g., PH levels are incorrect) and some actually contain comedogenic ingredients. The one you are using sounds fine though.

Yes, put your bangs back off your forehead, BP can bleach hair.

The PanOxyl should be fine. Its not a cheap drugstore brand. The problem with some of the drugstore brands is that some are not formulated properly (e.g., PH levels are incorrect) and some actually contain comedogenic ingredients. The one you are using sounds fine though.

Yes, put your bangs back off your forehead, BP can bleach hair.

i was wondering if i could put very lil BP near my nose/cheek area and the area underneath my lips (not chin)? ive got a bit of small papules there, but not sure if it would be a sensitive area.

i was wondering if i could put very lil BP near my nose/cheek area and the area underneath my lips (not chin)? ive got a bit of small papules there, but not sure if it would be a sensitive area.

[/qu

I do that and it hasnt been a problem for me