Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
football11f

Problems 8 Months In

Hey guys, this is my first post. However, I have been on this regimen a full eight months and, thanks to it, have completely eradicated my acne and red spots.

Now, in place of my acne, I have two problems with my face.

1. I still have flaking. It's not widespread after applying the moisturizer (I use Dans), but it tends to cluster around my nostrils and in various places around the face at different times. It especially tends to reveal itself after I've chewed [edit: food].

I am currently trying the baby brush method (Been using it for 3 weeks, twice a day). While it eliminated the flaking I had around my eyelashes, it has not affected the flaking around my nostrils or the occasional flaking I have on the lower part of my face.

I have also phased out the application of the cleanser to once at night and the benzoyl peroxide to a full dose at night and a half one in the morning. This has not impacted my flakiness, however.

2. My face gets red easily. After I'm done applying moisturizer and what not, my face looks fine color wise. However, during the day it tends to blush very easily and stay that way. In other words, my face can get very red during the day and stay that way for a long time.

-----------------------------------

Any advice on how to deal with this would be much appreciated. By the way, I use all of Dan's products.

Do you use sunblock? BP tends to make your skin photosensitive which might cause redness.

Also make sure you only wash your face twice a day. Overwashing can cause dryness too.

Congrats on clearing up your acne! :clap:

As for the redness, Brandy says that the redness can often be just an unfortunate side effect from using topicals to treat your skin. I'm not sure there's a whole lot to be done about. You can try sending Brandy an email about the redness and see if she has anything else to add.

I also am dealing with the flaking. It's an ongoing maintenance thing, and it seems under control one day and flakier another day. Try following the baby brush method with your softest washcloth and see if that helps. I find this more effective for getting in the corners of my nose where the brush doesn't reach very well, and for around and between my eyebrows where dead skin always seems to collect.

I'd only do the baby brush method (or washcloth) once or twice a week, as chaffing the skin is not really recommended for exfoliation due to the possibility of irritating the skin, which can lead to a breakout.

Another thing you may want to look into is finding an AHA moisturizer. This is my next stop. Brandy recommended Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion w/ 8% glycolic acid. It's supposed to be a good rub-free alternative for exfoliation, and good on red marks too, altho you said all your red marks are gone.

Hopefully you'll find something helpful here. Good luck!

Yeah what Debra said. Exfoliating might help with redness. But do it gently. Or use an AHA moisturiser.

Thank you all for the thorough responses.

@Debra

I've found that i can eliminate the flakiness in all areas besides my nose area by thoroughly applying the moisturizer. In other words, when I apply the moisturizer I continue to gently rub even after the moisturizer has been absorbed. While I rub, various flakes appear and, by rubbing, are gradually brushed off the skin. I rub until no more flakes come out and seem to be good for the rest of the day.

A question about using the washcloth: should I be rubbing the area around my nostrils with it dry, with it wet, or just holding it there? Also, would a Kleenex work as well as a washcloth?

@jmcsm

I get red even if I've been indoors all day. Infact, the redness is oftentimes triggered by simply laughing at a joke.

I see...I do the same with rubbing the moisturiser in till flakes come off. I actually did it by accident the first time. But I don't do it any more. Makes my face red after I'm done lol. So now I pat my moisturiser on. instead or rubbing.

I don't know if a kleenex would work but if you are going to use a washcloth make sure it is soft and use it wet so it won't irritate your skin.

after 8 months though, your skin should have adjusted to the bp, and the flakes shouldn't be as predominant..... i might suggest using a more emollient moisturizer. i use cetaphil lotion and love it. once or twice a week, i use cetaphil cream at night because my skin tends to be on the dry side. you can also try incorporating aha or another chemical exfoliant to get rid of the red marks.

personally, i'm opposed to manual exfoliation.... it's always seemed to exacerbate my acne. let me ask a couple questions.... does your skin feel tight after cleansing? if so, dan's just might be too drying for you. i know when it first came out, it was too drying for me. also, does your skin feel comfortable after you apply your moisturizer? this is a moisturizer problem and you need something heavier. at this point, you shouldn't be having flaking issue like this still unless you've changed your routine.

Answer to your question about the washcloth: After you have lathered your face thoroughly with your cleanser, thoroughly lather about 1/4 of your wet washcloth and glide it gently over your skin. When I do the corners of my nose I find I may need to press down just a little, but go easy. You probably won't get all the flakes but this should help considerably, esp. around your nose and wherever the baby brush doesn't reach.

As I said earlier, this sort of exfoliation can be irritating to the skin and possibly lead to breakouts, so isn't really recommended, altho many of the members are able to manually exfoliate successfully and without adverse effects.

Just be sure the washcloth you choose to use is very soft. A baby washcloth would be the best choice of all, and you can purchase one at Babies R Us or anywhere they sell baby supplies. Probably walmart has them. (I plan to pick one up myself.)

Hope this helps! :D

If you are clear, try reducing the amount of bp you are using and see if that helps. You may be able to maintain the clearness with less bp, and hopefully this will reduce your redness.

Wow, I am amazed by how great the community is here. Thank you much for the replies!

after 8 months though, your skin should have adjusted to the bp, and the flakes shouldn't be as predominant.....

Tightness after cleansing could mean that you're using water that's too hot. If jojoba oil or emu oil don't cause breakouts in you, I'd even try one or the other in the shower, just before getting ready to get out of the shower. Massage the oil in very gently and then rinse with warm or cool water. Rinsing the oil off a bit should make the rest of your topicals penetrate ok, in fact, emu oil is itself a carrier oil, which means that it enhances/catalyzes other topicals. I myself love emu oil for moisturizing. A final cold water rinse of the whole body and face feels not only invigorating but also reduces redness.

The Neutrogena AHA product is a chemically exfoliating product. BP has a small exfoliant effect (thus the flaking!) Salicylic acid is another chemical exfoliant as is glycolic or mandelic acid. But as you're using the regimen, you likely don't need to add in any chemical exfoliation of even toner strength acids except for perhaps the Neutrogena Healthy Skin night version (that has glycolic acid in it, and it is a beautiful moisturizer from what I read).

Tightness after cleansing could mean that you're using water that's too hot.

so should one use cold water or lukewarm water then?

Since I've been using the reduced BP dosage for 2 weeks now with no outbreaks, I qm going to try and apply BP at night only, using the cleanser both at night and in the morning. I really hope this works. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Congratz! Wow talk about consistency and patience eh ? Good job. Guess im gonna need a lot of that when i go on Dan's regimen haha. Im actually asian so i wonder if that makes any difference in terms of the redness and flaking happening. I guess im gonna have to read up more in here to see what others have tried to help it.

Alright guys, here's an update: success!

After experimenting with combinations of over 5 different products (my pocketbook is still crying), I finally found a winning combination that has eliminated my flakiness, keeps redness down and maintains the gains I have made.

Morning

While in Shower: Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser

Very small amount of Dan's BP

Cetaphil Moistuzing Cream (The Lotion was awful)

Night

Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser

Dan's BP

Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion with SPF 15 and AHA

I hope this helps others who have been clear yet frustrated. Remember, this is my maintenance regimen. I have been clear for months, so I don't recommend this necessarily to people trying to get clear.

Glad you found the perfect combination. Very nice pictures, BTW.

Now, as one of the resident moms here - You CHEW??? (Okay, I'm under control now.)

The nicotine in tobacco is very bad for the skin regardless of how it is ingested. Markedly ages people. Lots of wrinkles over time. I know of two twins that were part of a study done by a plastic surgeon that proved this pretty effectively.

Please - please - please consider the health ramifications of chewing. I used to work on a head and neck floor. I would never want to see a handsome guy like you disfigured because of oral cancer.

Okay, "mom mode" is off now and you won't have to hear anymore about it. Thanks for being a good sport...although I think I could imagine your eyes rolling for a moment there. ;)

I actually don't chew. In fact I also don't drink, smoke or take any drugs. In fact, I am rather lame for a college student. :cool:

When I said "It especially tends to reveal itself after I've chewed," I am referring to food.