Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello people. Just wanted to share with everyone that I'm starting a new regimen of washing with Hibiclens as a face wash and then spot treating with Betadine lotion at night. In the morning, washing with Betadine skin cleanser and that's it. I'll keep progress posted. I'm interested in getting away from Benzoyl Peroxide and Salicylic acid. Anyone trying these products??

Hello people. Just wanted to share with everyone that I'm starting a new regimen of washing with Hibiclens as a face wash and then spot treating with Betadine lotion at night. In the morning, washing with Betadine skin cleanser and that's it. I'll keep progress posted. I'm interested in getting away from Benzoyl Peroxide and Salicylic acid. Anyone trying these products??

Why don't you like BP or SA? Hibiclens and betadine are way harsher.

I've been using Hibicleans every night as a spot treatment. I use a cotton ball, and dab it over my skin, keep it on for a few minutes..and than wash it off with just water. It's been working awesome. I'm 99% clear with this(the 1% comes from the time of the month hormonal breakout that I sometimes get).

Betadine has iodine in it. Iodine has been implicated with increased breakouts. It's not good to use on a daily basis, either, as it may give rise to resistant bacteria OR allow overgrowth of non-susceptible fungi/yeast.

From what I read, Hibiclens is fine as perhaps once daily or every other day (no resistance to hibiclens is yet documented), but absolutely do NOT get it in your eyes or in your mouth! Do not use it on the whole body.

From what I read, Hibiclens is fine as perhaps once daily or every other day (no resistance to hibiclens is yet documented), but absolutely do NOT get it in your eyes or in your mouth! Do not use it on the whole body.

Betadine has iodine in it. Iodine has been implicated with increased breakouts. It's not good to use on a daily basis, either, as it may give rise to resistant bacteria OR allow overgrowth of non-susceptible fungi/yeast.

I apppreciate the responses guys and gals. I am going to cut the Betadine out and just use Hibiclens every other day. Glamorous, where did you find your Aloe product?

Betadine is used to kill bacteria, most hospitals have this in stock. It helps prevent topical infection. So i think it would work in a case of acne.

Ive heard a lot of people like Hibiclens, just be careful with it.

To repeat, Betadine has iodine in it. Betadine is also harsh on the skin; it's for sterilization prior to surgery (so is Hibiclens) BUT as more and more people develop allergies and sensitivities to Betadine, hospitals are moving away from any use of Betadine at all. More and more hospitals now require chlorhexidine. Betadine is a BAD idea for treating acne.

To the poster who mentioned drug resistant Staph Aureus; if you're speaking of MRSA, no, Hibiclens will not eradicate that once the infection is already present, particularly if the wound is deep and invasive and the bacteria is invasive. For that type of infection, you need either Vancomycin IV or Bactrim or Septra. (or whatever other antibiotic the culture showed effective, if a culture was done). Hibiclens merely prevents further opportunistic infections in the case of an already-infected serious wound (not just acne - two very different types of wounds). Hibiclens does however sterilize a surgical site prior to surgery so one is at less risk of developing a drug resistant infection.

I use hibiscrub (same thing) and it works wonders, only if I use it at least 2 times a day though. I'm clear now after starting to wash twice with it in the bath on a night, then once on a morning.

Thanks again for the info peeps. I did learn, the hard way, that Betadine is not a good idea. Atleast for my skin, I immediately starting breaking out from it, especially on my chin and around my mouth. Extremely painful sore-like pimples that are, just now, starting to fade. I've switched to cleansing with Purpose bar soap and spot treating with hibiclens. My skin seems to be calming down thus far. I would just love to get away from relying on BP and SA.