Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
1RoUnDeR1

No Longer So Low Dose Accutane Log

Day 22

Got one fair size pimple trying to push its way through, and in addition to that just a couple of small clogged pores/pimples. I just took 20mg in hopes that tomorrow I'll be able to fill my prescription so cross your fingers for me cuz if I can't fill the script I'm gonna run outa medicine monday. My oil is almost gone but I still have a little bit goin on.

Day 23

Success! My derm moved me up to 20mg today and I was also able to fill the prescription despite the fact that I have 7 days until that stupid 30-day window thing for iPLEDGE. I'm quite happy I took 20mg last night cuz now its like I got a head start on moving up my dosage. Skins not lookin too bad, although I do have one pretty big red mark from the biggish pimple I popped yesterday, but other than that its just those few clogged pores and red marks. I'll still use Ziana tonight but hopefully when the 20mg kicks in I can stop all topicals, although I may continue using Clindamycin gel when I shave to prevent any foliculitus (which accutane also helps). Thats about it for now, I'm going to happily take 20mg!

Day 24

I'm already noticing a difference since starting 20mg. I had one small barely noticeable pimple on my chin and it disappeared overnight, and I also had a similar one on my cheek which also disappeared. Basically I'm just dealing with red marks right now. I just showered and shaved and like an idiot I went after something that wasn't even really a pimple and accomplished nothing except irritating the area so now I'll prob be red there tomorrow since my skin is so sensitive. Ever since I had that allergic reaction to tetracyclines my skin has been super sensitive, actually when it first happened I got dermographism which basically meant if you touched my skin it would get really red and swell up. I was able to use a paper clip and write my name on my arm so it was pretty bad, but after about a year or so that all went away, but it left my skin much more sensitive than before. So anyway my skin is looking pretty good. My oil is pretty much if not entirely gone so I'm really happy about that. I'm still using Ziana on the upper portion of my face and then when I shave I'm also using clindamycin gel on my neck area. The blackheads on my nose are pretty much all gone now, and the ones that are still there are only noticeable from like 5 inches away. So all in all things are going really well. Later guys.

Day 25

Skins looking really good today. My lips don't seem to be any drier than they were on 10mg and dry skin is like non-existent. I definitely think 20mg is the right dose for me, at least until I get clear. Once I get clear I think I might drop down to like 10mg a day and see how that goes and then just keep dropping the dose until I find the minimum I can stay clear with. I have a better chance of remission if I just take 20mg for like 2 years or 40mg for a year but I really don't think I can be cured so I figure I might as well just stay on and stay clear. Anyway, the pimple I tried to pop last night doesn't look bad at all today, just a small red mark. All my other red marks and clogged pore/pimple things are fading and my skin looks really clear. I'll probably post some b4 pics and some now pics soon to show my progress. Later

Day 26

Not one active anything on my face. Skin tone looks much more even and red marks are fading quickly. Oil is officially 0. I measure my face oil by pressing the back of my hand against my face and holding it there for about 15 seconds, then when I remove it if its shinny at all that tells me something - right now there's not one trace of shine. I'm still using Ziana on the top half of my face, excluding my forehead where I've never really gotten a pimple. I'm really surprised about not being dry really at all. My chin has a tiny bit of flakiness but its very minimal. I couldn't really ask for anything more at this point. Lips are pretty much decent just aquaphor once or twice a day, and thats about it for now.

Day 27

Skin is still looking good and continuing to get better. No actives and red marks are almost entirely faded. I really cannot believe how well and quickly accutane is doing its thing this time around. No side effects besides the mildly dry lips and my skin really isn't dry at all, so not dry that I'm still able to use Ziana on it. Maybe the Ziana is what's allowing me to clear so quickly due to the tretinoin and the antibiotic effect of the clindamycin, but whatever it is it's really making me happy. I guess I'll just update from now on when something new happens or if you guys have any questions. Later!

Day 28

Okay, so last night I decided to see how much the tretinoin in the Ziana was actually helping me, so after shaving I just used some clindamycin gel. My skin was decent today, but it had oil on it which was definitely bad. I'm really surprised that 20mg/day isn't enough to entirely suppress my oil productivity but apparently it's not. I'll go back to using the Ziana tonight. My derm said maybe I'll be moved up to 40mg next time if my oil isn't gone by my next appointment so maybe I'll have to change the title of my log, although .5mg/kg might still be considered low dose but idk. Gotta go study for finals now...yippie! Laterr

Day 29

Still got a bit of oil going on now but not bad at all. It's weird cuz the first couple of days I started on 20mg my oil disappeared and my skin started to really clear dramatically, but now it's like my body is becoming used to it. My skins decent so I can't really complain but my oil and days 25 and 26 were ideal. I wish I could just eventually move up to a high dose and try to kill this thing off once and for all but last time I was at 80 I ran into some trouble, albeit it may have been brought on by taking the 80mg with alcohol and then drinking to excess over the next few hours. Has anybody had any experience with drinking alot of alcohol right after their dose or heard anything about it?

Day 32

Okay, so 20mg hasn't entirely killed off all my oil and I'm still using the Ziana at night to stay clear but this treatment is quite effective. My lips aren't all that dry and thats the only side effect at this low a dose. Next time I go to the derm I'm gonna have him prescribe me 40mg but split up into 4 daily doses of 10mg, this way I'll try 30mg for a few days and possibly work my way up to 40. Everything else is doing well, just letting the red marks fade. I haven't gotten any actives and all the blackheads on my nose seem to have just fallen off so thats cool. I really wish I didn't have to continue using the topicals but whatever, when I'm on 30 or 40 I'll probably be able to stop. Later.

Day 34

Skin is looking a little bit better but not great yet. No actives on my face though, and my oil is pretty much gone but for that to be so I have to use Ziana every night. My chin is pretty dry right now so that kinda sucks and my lips are gettin a bit dryer than they were on 10mg but overall not too bad.

man, good luck with your course! I am on my first course of accutane, low dose as well. Also, I keep drinking, but reading your first post gave me the boost i needed to actually stop. So I hope everything works out good for you!

Paisly - yeah drinking def turned into a no-no for me, and maybe it was a good thing considering I was only doing my body more harm, but damn it was fun.

Deadbeat - Low dose seems like a pretty good treatment so far, although idk how the results would be if I hadn't done 3 courses before this.

Day 36

Okay, so yesterday I went to the golf course and did my thing. Came home and everything was normal, washed my face, put on the Ziana and some moisturizer and went to bed. Today I wake up and I have this red mark on the right side of my face prob about 1.5in long and .5in wide. On my second course of tane I had a similar mark but that time it was from trying to pop a pimple, ruining the skin, and then at night while sleeping having stuff come out of the pimple and dry on my skin thus irritating the hell out of it. In the old situation I just put some aquaphor on the area and it was totally gone in like 2 days. This time I've decided to take the same approach as it does seem a little bit dry, so hopefully tomorrow it'll be pretty much gone. Its weird, I feel like I'm in this transition stage where the accutane is strong enough to make my skin pretty sensitive but also not strong enough to eradicate all my oil/pimples. Because of this I feel like I still have to use a bit of Ziana but in a sort of balance with moisturizer. Hopefully when I move up to 30mg that'll be that and topicals will be no more, then when I get clear I'll drop the dosage. On a lighter note, idk if I've mentioned this but my nose is entirely blackhead free, and I haven't even been using the Ziana on it, so my face is def doin a lot better but at the same time I'm still not where I wanna be. Thats all for now, I'll update tomorrow about that spot.

I'm glad things are going well so early into treatment! If I went low-dose (10-20 mg), I'd probably have to stick with it for a long time to ensure improvement and clearance, but since I have Rosacea, higher dose really isn't an option. I think I'd rather try low-dose anyway, just because of the positive reports and lower side effects, even if it takes a while longer.

I hope that red spot will be gone very soon. All the best!

Edit: Is it true that you have to wait a month after your doctor prescribes Accutane to actually receive it?

Deadbeat - well for girls I'm pretty sure they have to wait a month after their prescribed accutane because they have to pass multiple pregnancy tests, but for guys its just get the prescription, get your blood work and fill the prescription.

Day 37

My skin is looking really good today despite the red mark thing on the side of my right face and one pimple on my left side. I played golf today and got some good sun so everythings looking quite nice at the moment. My chin has been really dry the last couple of days so I started using the Cetaphil cream instead of the lotion and wow does it make a difference. The cream is so much thicker and just does a better job overall. I'm prob just gonna use the Ziana on the sides of my nose and under my eyes area and then everywhere else just moisturize. Lips aren't too bad and aside from this damn red mark thing everything is goin well. Later guys.

Day 38

So I elected not to wash my face last night so that means my face hasn't been washed in about 48 hours. Lucky for me when I woke up this morning my skin looked really good and the red mark had faded a good amount. I noticed the first time I was on accutane that if I just went to bed without washing my face my skin would look really good the next day with significant improvement in the redness department. I'm gonna wash my face tonite cuz I don't wanna be dirty but I def would recommend people try to let their faces rest as much as possible on accutane. Your face is getting medicine whether you wash it or not cuz you're taking pills and getting it from the inside. For me it seems that washing everyday just irritates my skin so I'm prob gonna go to washing it every other night.

Day 40

Played golf all weekend and got some serious sun. My face is looking really good at the moment cuz of that. The red mark kinda formed a thin scab of dead skin, not thick or anything, and then that peeled off. Now its still a little bit red but so is the rest of my face so my tone looks even. I can see one slightly clogged pore and then I had one kind of active pimple on my left jawline but I haven't really touched my face in a few days and thats dying down. The best part of all is that I haven't used any Ziana or topicals in like 3 days and my face has been great. Actually less oily somehow. I'll prob use some moisturizer tonight after I shower since I got alota sun and I don't wanna dry out but aside from that nothing. I'm gonna call my derm tomorrow and make an appointment for this week. I'll update prob tomorrow. Laterr

Day 43

Everything is looking good. Still have a tiny blemish on my left side but everything else is pretty much perfect. The red mark has officially gone away so yeah I'm pretty happy with everything right now. I shaved last night and used a tiny bit of Ziana on my lower face and then just Clindagel on my neck and woke up with no new irritation or anything. Also, my oil is zero. All in all I'm very happy right now. I prob wont wash my face tonight cuz usually my skin turns out really nice the day after if I don't wash it. Later

Hi 1RoUnDeR1,

Would you have pictures of when you started each of your treatments, as well as what your skin is like right now?

Day 49

Okay so I just uploaded the photos but it says they'll take 24 hrs to get approved. My skin is pretty much perfect right now. My lips are a little dry but they're much better than say 2 weeks ago. I can go the whole day without using anything, just aquaphor in the morn and at night. Nothing else to report. These first 2 pics are the worst my skin looked at any point in the last 6-8 months. The 2nd couple of pics are from today. I take pics in black and white cuz I feel like it really shows hyper-pigmentation and gives me a good idea of just how my skin is. I hope my attempt at posting these works!

Before 1

Before 2

50days 1

50days 2

Day 51

So since I got all that sun last weekend and the weekend before that my face got a bit dry/sunburned. To combat this dryness I was using Cetaphil moisturizing cream on the dry spots. Unfortunately I think using the cream has clogged a couple of pores which sucks. I'm at the point now where the skin isn't that dry anymore so last night when I shaved I used Ziana on the troublesome spots and clindagel on my neck. Things look pretty good today, still no actives but I can see a couple of clogged pores under the skin. Hopefully these will just disappear with the use of Ziana and stopping the use of cream. Overall I'm really happy with where I am right now. I started my internship this week and the last thing I wanted was pimples and red marks all over my face. Two months ago I prayed that by the time I started my internship I'd be clear and my prayers have certainly been answered. Let me know if u guys have any questions about anything and I'll def reply, but for now I prob won't update unless something changes (which will prob be if the clogged pores clear or come up). Later...

Day 58

So I temporarily upped my dosage. Monday and Tuesday I took 30mg and then last night I took 40mg. I'm not experiencing any extra dryness or anything really. My skin looks pretty good right now but with all the sun I had gotten my oil glands kicked in a bit and I got a little oil back. Does any1 else ever get oily after they get alot of sun? Well anyway, I got a little oily so I upped it to 30 and then last night I took 40 just to see how it would go. I'm really surprised how moist my skin is considering how much accutane I'm taking. I remember back when I was on 40mg during my first course my skin was peeling off, now I basically don't even use moisturizer and everything is fine. Right now I think my plan goes something like this: wait until I haven't had a blemish for 2months and then drop back down to 20mg. I have a derm appointment on June 13 (Friday the 13th) and I'm pretty sure my derm is gonna up me to 40mg/day. I'll prob end up just taking 40/30 alternating each day. Eventually when I've been perfectly clear for around 2 months I'll kind of ween myself down to like 20mg. Aside from all this skin stuff, my workouts lately have been crazy. My max bench has gone up 35lbs in about 4 weeks which is unheard of for me. Last summer I was on creatine and that gave me similar gains, but I've never experienced gains like this without supplements. Now that I'm on accutane I can't use creatine and stuff but it looks like I don't need it. Maybe tane is the new workout supplement, who knows? Anyway, I'll update soon. Feel free to ask any questions u guys might have. Later

not sure if it increases strength but i do know since accutane dries out pretty much your entire body your joints lose fluid when on it or retain less then they normally would so i heard lifting heavy weights might put you at higher risk of injury. I am 26 and have been lifting 3 - 5 times a week for 6 years now. since i am on tane i dont want to risk anything so i stopped using weights and just do cardio now.

not sure if it increases strength but i do know since accutane dries out pretty much your entire body your joints lose fluid when on it or retain less then they normally would so i heard lifting heavy weights might put you at higher risk of injury. I am 26 and have been lifting 3 - 5 times a week for 6 years now. since i am on tane i dont want to risk anything so i stopped using weights and just do cardio now.

Day 67

Things seem to be looking strange around here. Anyway, I went to the derm today and he said no to moving up to 40, even tho i've already been taking 40 for a couple of weeks now. He said my skin looks good so I told him I've been using Ziana every night, which is not true, but I needed to give him a reason why my skin looked good without telling him I'm on 40mg. Anyway, he said 1 more month and then I'll move up so I made an appointment for 3 weeks (so i can continue taking 40mg with the amt of medicine I have) and then I'll be bumped up officially. In other news, I went out the other night to a company party and decided to have a beer and all went well. I asked my derm why I'm not supposed to drink while on accutane because I hadn't seen anything from Roche saying it wasn't safe, and this is what he said: the liver enzyme that metabolizes alcohol is the same one that metabolizes accutane, so if you overload on both bad things can happen. What he said I shouldn't do is not drink for a month and then go out one night and get wasted, which is basically exactly what I did while on 80mg last time. Anyways, things are going well, no side effects aside from dry lips. Skin looks good, although I got a pimple on my cheek but the white head formed quickly and then just pretty much went away, all in all a 2 or 3 day process. Ziana is still working well for me if I think I'm getting a spot, other than that its just clindagel when I shave and nothing when I just wash. Thats all for now so laterrrrrr.