Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Define effectiveness. I personally think that supplementation interferes with delicate balance of the antioxidant defense system. I do not trust that I can fine a good balance between the nutrients, as so many nutrients interact with each other. One type of nutrient taken in too great of dosage can deplete another. Why take the risk?

from the article on wikipedia... emphasis added by me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_deficiency

Chromium picolinate is the most commonly used synthetic supplement. However, recent studies "have concluded that such supplements have no demonstrated effects on healthy individuals."[4] A meta-analysis in 2002 found no effect on blood glucose or insulin in healthy people, and the data were inconclusive for diabetics.[13] Subsequent trials gave mixed results, with one finding no effect in people with impaired glucose tolerance,[14] but another seeing a small improvement in glucose resistance.[15] In a 2007 review of these and other clinical trials it was again concluded that chromium supplements had no beneficial effect on healthy people, but that there might be an improvement in glucose metabolism in diabetics, although the authors stated that the evidence for this effect remains weak.[16]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium

Recently it was shown that the popular dietary supplement chromium picolinate complex generates chromosome damage in hamster cells. In the United States the dietary guidelines for daily chromium uptake were lowered from 50-200 µg for an adult to 35 µg (adult male) and to 25 µg (adult female).[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_picolinate

On the basis of the results suggesting that this compound might cause cancer, the Expert Group on Vitamins and Minerals of the UK Joint Food Standards and Safety Group requested in March 2003 that the supplement industry voluntarily withdraw all chromium picolinate products from sale.[15][16] A later review of the data on human toxicity by the Committee on Mutagenicity at the Food Standards and Safety Group, noted several case reports of renal failure that may have been caused by these supplements and called for further research into if this compound is toxic to humans.[17]

For god's sake people, just go low-carb! So much easier. No need to worry about pills when you can eat high fat low carb! Tastes better too.

For god's sake people, just go low-carb! So much easier. No need to worry about pills when you can eat high fat low carb! Tastes better too.

Or just take other supplements to help with insulin insensitivity...

RonP --- You've asked some great questions these last few days. I just wanted to tell you that I havent been avoiding answering your questions... I've just been very busy. I've been researching the questions you have asked, although I havent come to any definite answers. I have learned more though.

There is a great amount of research pro and con Chromium Picolinate. There are hundreds of diabetics who swear by it (check the internet forums)(including my father --- who has used it for 30 years and says he can't even function during the day w/out it) and now there are new studies which say it doesnt do anything at all.:wacko:

All in all, I just wanted several other acne users to try it. I got results from it... and I want to see if others do too. 5-6 other people would be great. I'm not looking for 50-100 people ;) . I think others should stand back and watch and see what happens.

I've been thinking -- and if it turns out that Chromium Picolinate's effects only last a little while (because we need to increase the dosage), then I'll know that we're having the EXACT same problem that diabetics have ---- they grow more and more insensitive to insulin and more and more supplements are needed. It is well known that diabetics must keep increasing their medication levels every few weeks & months - just like us. In the end, there isnt any way to keep up with the amount of supplements required. Basically, exactly what happened to us on the B5 cure, DIM, MSM... etc.

If this does turn out to be true with Chromium Picolinate (we'll see...), then all is not lost. There is a best-selling book which made national news 2 years ago and stops diabetes and insulin resistence in its tracks. I gave it to three of my Diabetic friends and after 3 weeks their doctors took them off all medications and said they no longer had diabetes. In the book, there are dozens of healthy recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Keep us posted on your progess.

Also, how would you see taking PGX with your currently supplements playing out?

Another question: I understand that over time, more insulin is needed to get certain responses out of cells, but if what triggers the adrenals to produce sebum is low blood sugar levels, how is it that it is beneficial to treat insulin insensitivity?

Unless the blood sugar levels haven't become tolerant to insulin, but others have, this could work. Otherwise though, seeing as more insulin is needed just to lower the blood sugar, and the blood sugar being so low triggers the response, shouldn't we be treating our nasty blood sugar cycle?

It seems to be that if we were to resensitize ourselves to insulin, the blood sugar would respond by drastically dropping upon the release of insulin, causing the adrenals to release a ton of sebum.

Could someone please clarify here. It seems that I've got something backwards.

Is fiber healthy to take before every meal? I've read on it not allowing your body to absorb essential nutrients..

...It is well known that diabetics must keep increasing their medication levels every few weeks & months - just like us. In the end, there isnt any way to keep up with the amount of supplements required. ...

If this does turn out to be true with Chromium Picolinate (we'll see...), then all is not lost. There is a best-selling book which made national news 2 years ago and stops diabetes and insulin resistence in its tracks. I gave it to three of my Diabetic friends and after 3 weeks their doctors took them off all medications and said they no longer had diabetes. In the book, there are dozens of healthy recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Can someone please clarify for me my question above regarding why it is that insulin insensitivity is the culprit?

If decreased blood sugar is why the adrenals produce androgens, then why are we looking at insulin insensitivity as to why our blood sugars are so low? If we are insulin insensitive, then we're just not responding to the insulin that is working to lower our blood sugar level.

Please!

Ron, I think you might be a little confused...insulin period raises androgens, not the drop in blood sugar.

Right? :shifty:

Ron, I think you might be a little confused...insulin period raises androgens, not the drop in blood sugar.

...It is well known that diabetics must keep increasing their medication levels every few weeks & months - just like us. In the end, there isnt any way to keep up with the amount of supplements required. ...

Baloney. Diabetics do NOT have to increase their medication levels every few weeks or months.

Please quit pulling facts out of thin air.

What is this best-selling book? If it's diet related, of course diet alone can help SOME diabetics not need medications or other supplements. But if those persons were to go off that diet, they'd be back with elevated blood glucose levels. Once one is diagnosed with diabetes, it NEVER GOES AWAY. Treatment can and does eliminate high blood sugars, but that does not mean that the diabetic no longer has diabetes.

Hmm, well, my face did clear in three weeks. It hasnt been four weeks yet. It wasnt 2 weeks. There are still redmarks, but it was clear of infections and acne after 3 weeks. =P

And my friends were taken off their diabetes medications at the end of 3 weeks. The book said that after 3 weeks they would need to be reassessed by a medical doctor so that their medication wasnt too strong. =P.

Wynne --- sorry if I have irked you. :unsure:

My friends commented that as time went on, the doctors put them on stronger and stronger medications.... and the amounts were growing... and they were sick of it.

Hmm, well, my face did clear in three weeks. It hasnt been four weeks yet. It wasnt 2 weeks. There are still redmarks, but it was clear of infections and acne after 3 weeks. =P

And my friends were taken off their diabetes medications at the end of 3 weeks. The book said that after 3 weeks they would need to be reassessed by a medical doctor so that their medication wasnt too strong. =P.

Wynne --- sorry if I have irked you. :unsure:

My friends commented that as time went on, the doctors put them on stronger and stronger medications.... and the amounts were growing... and they were sick of it.

The book says the problem with diabetics is that they are being told that carbs are the cause of their problems.

The researchers found that the key to insulin sensitivity is eliminating fat intake by almost

~95%. <---This is the key to insulin sensitivity skyrocketing within weeks. Secondly staying on a low GI diet. Whole grain carbs are recommended - such as low-GI Rye bread, whole grain wheat pasta cook al dente... brown rice...).

It is called Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes.

I remember that my diabetic friends said the diet in the book was exactly opposite of what their doctors had told them to do. They were carb counting and on medication. Then they tried the diet from this book which basically told them to eat whole grain carbs but WATCH fat intake (almost nilch) and stay LOW-GI.... and they were off their medication by the end of the month.

I know it sounds like I'm "expanding" the results of my friends... but I'm not.

By the way, your adrenals release androgens in response to low blood sugar: http://www.natural-acne-solution.com/blood-sugar-acne.html

Eating high GL foods spikes your BL levels. The pancreas responds by releasing large quantities of insulin to bring down the blood sugar levels. It has to do this because high BL are dangerous.

Large quantities of insulin cause BL to plummet. Too low blood sugar levels trigger another emergency response. The adrenalin glands release androgens. Androgens are hormones that signal the liver to release some of its glycogen storages to raise the BL. Too low BL levels can lead to unconsciousness.

Here is some info about the low-fat low GI diet:

The research was done at George Washington University and the University of Toronto with the support of the National Institute of Health.

At the same time, the researchers found the fundamental cause of Diabetes Type I: They found that when certain children under the age of 2 are fed animal's milk, it causes the body's immune system to attack the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas.

If anyone is interested in this book -- I highly recommend you read it at borders & books. ;) Its hard to put down.

RonP -- I'm waiting patiently to see if the Chromium Picolinate wears off like everything else.

I'm clear now... but will I need higher and higher doses soon to keep these results? Probably.... =P

My next test is to try this diabetic diet... and see if it clears my skin. Reducing fat intake is so much easier than reducing all carbs =P.

RonP -- I'm waiting patiently to see if the Chromium Picolinate wears off like everything else.

I'm clear now... but will I need higher and higher doses soon to keep these results? Probably.... =P

My next test is to try this diabetic diet... and see if it clears my skin. Reducing fat intake is so much easier than reducing all carbs =P.