Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Billie Jean

Post accutane - What should I do?

To be honest, your red marks don't look that bad at least compared to mine :P. Maybe its the small scars that are making it worse. For me, I've been battling red marks/dark spots whatever you wanna call it for a year and nothing has worked for me either. I've tried peels and most of the things that were mentioned on this thread. I think it was because I was trying too many things at once while still getting acne. Now that my acne has subsided dramatically from a year ago, I started concentrating on my red marks. So far I've been using Glycolic Acid Lotion and I can tell its working, i've been using it for a short while but I can see the difference. Also, I don't know if you saw the turmeric thread here but it sounds promising. I'm going to try that later on tonight in conjunction with my Glycolic Acid Lotion. Oh, and SA is Salicylic Acid.

I'm sure there are worse cases than mine but it's still a huge problem for me. I work as a teacher and when you have a student asking "what happened to your face?" even though your using a concealer you know that something's not right.

I believe that there is salicylic acid in Finacea/Skinoren and that does not seem to work for me.

Thanks for your input.

By the way, does anyone know what my scars are called? Ice-picks?

hi billie jean.

it looks like the red marks look better, at least in the second set of pics. at least ur getting improvement. i took 3 courses of accutane to stop my acne. and then i had red spots and ice picks all over my face. but my red spots did not go away on their own. RED MARKS ARE SCARS...THEY DO NOT JUST GO AWAY WITH TIME.....if ur lucky they do, but any red mark that stays on ur face for a year without improvement is a scar.

my advice to u is this (and i can advise u because ive been where u are and i had 11 fuckin fraxels, and had to go to work all fucked up, and ive had 2 dermabrasions, 2 CO2 lasers, 10 V-beam lasers. bleach creams, glycolic peels (by doctor using doctor grade, and home peels), Alpha hydroxy products (used for 2 years), healing mass and prayer, special nutriton regimens, zinc tablets, and every fukkin thing u can think of over the last 10 years):

1.) get injections: get filler injections, like restylane or juvederm in the big dented scars....u may need more than one syringe....this will help with the big scars on ur cheeks.....it will fill them in and ull get a little tiny bit of relief.....

2.) after the injections, if u have something important to go to, and u want to kind of look ur best, go to the tanning salon, and get a little burn on ur cheeks (i know its bad but sometimes u got to take the lesser of two evils), it will hide ur redmarks...

3.)after the injections and the sunburn, get "makeup primer" with as much dimethicone in the ingredients as possible, and THEN put on ur makeup over the primer....the dimethicone primer will plump ur skin (and so will the sunburn actually), and make it smoother so makeup to look smoother, and ur face will look smoother

thats the only solid advice i have.

u can get fraxel, but if i were u, would get the Fraxel:Repair (its the one that has the CO2, its the newest version of it), try to get the highest settings, and dont let them scare u into using lower settings, get the highest u can handle (go into the doctors office confidently and know what u want)

ive had 11 fraxel: restore (also known as Fraxel II), and it only really filled in the teeny tiny minuscule little holes, but at least it was something...ihave white white skin like u btw, and the red marks are sooo hard to get rid of.

right know im using "turmeric" for the red marks, im only on the second day.

skin is sooo hard to repair.

hi billie jean.

it looks like the red marks look better, at least in the second set of pics. at least ur getting improvement. i took 3 courses of accutane to stop my acne. and then i had red spots and ice picks all over my face. but my red spots did not go away on their own. RED MARKS ARE SCARS...THEY DO NOT JUST GO AWAY WITH TIME.....if ur lucky they do, but any red mark that stays on ur face for a year without improvement is a scar.

my advice to u is this (and i can advise u because ive been where u are and i had 11 fuckin fraxels, and had to go to work all fucked up, and ive had 2 dermabrasions, 2 CO2 lasers, 10 V-beam lasers. bleach creams, glycolic peels (by doctor using doctor grade, and home peels), Alpha hydroxy products (used for 2 years), healing mass and prayer, special nutriton regimens, zinc tablets, and every fukkin thing u can think of over the last 10 years):

1.) get injections: get filler injections, like restylane or juvederm in the big dented scars....u may need more than one syringe....this will help with the big scars on ur cheeks.....it will fill them in and ull get a little tiny bit of relief.....

2.) after the injections, if u have something important to go to, and u want to kind of look ur best, go to the tanning salon, and get a little burn on ur cheeks (i know its bad but sometimes u got to take the lesser of two evils), it will hide ur redmarks...

3.)after the injections and the sunburn, get "makeup primer" with as much dimethicone in the ingredients as possible, and THEN put on ur makeup over the primer....the dimethicone primer will plump ur skin (and so will the sunburn actually), and make it smoother so makeup to look smoother, and ur face will look smoother

u can get fraxel, but if i were u, would get the Fraxel:Repair (its the one that has the CO2, its the newest version of it), try to get the highest settings, and dont let them scare u into using lower settings, get the highest u can handle (go into the doctors office confidently and know what u want)

ive had 11 fraxel: restore (also known as Fraxel II), and it only really filled in the teeny tiny minuscule little holes, but at least it was something...ihave white white skin like u btw, and the red marks are sooo hard to get rid of.

What a great and informative post. Thank you for taking the time.

I have thought about injecting restylane or something like it. But what results will I get? Are the improvements just temporary?

I will get a makeup primer and try it out. Never heard of it before since I'm a male but after some research it definitely sounds interesting.

How many Fraxel:Repair do you think I will need? It's so bloody expensive but It's worth it if it works.

How is the turmeric working out for you?

hi billie jean.

What a great and informative post. Thank you for taking the time.

I have thought about injecting restylane or something like it. But what results will I get? Are the improvements just temporary?

I will get a makeup primer and try it out. Never heard of it before since I'm a male but after some research it definitely sounds interesting.

How many Fraxel:Repair do you think I will need? It's so bloody expensive but It's worth it if it works.

How is the turmeric working out for you?

the injections are a temporary relief, however, the newest injections called "radiesse" are said to cause ur body to make its own collagen (ive never had the radiesse though)....

for fraxel:repair, alot of doctors are saying u only need one to see improvement, but u CAN most definitely have 2 or 3 for optimal results...

its too soon to tell about the turmeric yet...

Just curious, have you tried retin-a? or any retiniod?

No. Do you recommend it? I have tubes of Duac, Finacea, Differin and Skinoren at home. Does any of those contain retinoids?

What are the redmarks from? I used Accutane and though it got rid of my zits for about a year (yes they came back full force and with a vengence... the best thing i use now is Proactive and Dial gold antibacterial soap which together act as charms), here is my story:

I would recommend not taking Accutane unless you are on ur deathbed first.

I was in nursing school with a fellow classmate, 18-year old girl, who looked late 30's. I had no idea she was only 18 until she told me. Turns out she took Accutane, but i did not put the two together. I had beautiful skin, but otherwise would have breakouts and was sad and saw a dermatologist who prescribed Accutane for me, two pills a day, one 40 mg in the morning and one 20 mg in the evening (total 60 mg a day). Within about a month or two, I noticed my face looking aged, developing "monkey jowls" just like my classmate! EVen my friends pointed this out to me, like i didn't notice. My face and eyes became very dry, broke out with blisters around my mouth, and was on this for 5 months. I was also depressed, I went from a 4.0 GPA to making B, then C, then going for F's, and I had to drop out of school during this very dark time of my life. After I got off Accutane, about two months later, the clouds started to lift, I felt like the sun came out again, the depression was gone, but then I was left with aged-like symptoms of thinner skin, arthitis in my knees, dry eyes that required eye drops daily, loose facial skin, and these symptoms persisted for years. And I was one of the lucky ones! I have even read of patients in their 20's who have also gotten cateracts as well as arthritis. Accutane has aging side-effect as well as major depression and mood changes. I would not recommend this to my worst enemy! And lord help you if you get pregnant while taking this drug.

Christianne1990

When you say YEARS how long did your tane effects last? I have been off for about 21 months and I think I have some side effects. Definitly more scarring but thin skin in some areas. Nothing as serious as jowls and red eyes.

Your red marks improve a lot bro. Two things for scars: Tazorac and Fraxel. Taz stimulates collegen production.

14 months later:

post-67366-1244766150_thumb.jpg

I need that fraxel badly but it's so frickin expensive!

pb101// I checked out the Tazorac website but it doesn't say anything about scars, only regular acne. Are you sure it works for scars?

post-67366-1244766150_thumb.jpg

I am in the same boat as you with deep ice pick sort of scars on my cheeks after accutane... I can't find a reliable treatment that would offer me good results, I keep reading that fraxel helps but some people say they only notice minimal improvements after 4-5 treatments, and spending $5000 on something of that sort with only minimal improvements is not worth it. If I save up so much money and still do not have clear skin, that's just a piss off.

I'm thinking of buying a dermaroller. Do you guys reckon it can help me?

hi! ive been reading your post.. Im taking my daughter to a licenced derma-roller L.R.N. tomorrow. she has a lot of scars on her cheeks like you. i will find out for sure if this rolling of the skin really works!.. Im praying it does. thanks.

I'm thinking of buying a dermaroller. Do you guys reckon it can help me?

hi! ive been reading your post.. Im taking my daughter to a licenced derma-roller L.R.N. tomorrow. she has a lot of scars on her cheeks like you. i will find out for sure if this rolling of the skin really works!.. Im praying it does. thanks.

Good luck to her. I'd like to hear a review after the treatment is completed if you don't mind.

Hey my scarring is somewhat similar to yours, and its causing me a HUGE amount of grief, no confidence, self-esteem etc. I will be going for consultation soon to see what can be done to improve my scarring. After my consultation I will update you.

Hey my scarring is somewhat similar to yours, and its causing me a HUGE amount of grief, no confidence, self-esteem etc. I will be going for consultation soon to see what can be done to improve my scarring. After my consultation I will update you.

Good luck!

I just got $2616 from my insurance company for my scars. So if you have scars similar to mine start milking your company for money.

Fraxel or no fraxel, that is the question. Suggestions people?

PLEASE TRY WITCH HAZEL FOR THE MARKS AND SCARS.

OVER TIME, (1.5 MONTHS) ALL MY POST ACNE MARKS

WERE GONE. JUST PUT ON A COTTON BALL A RUB ON

FACE THROUGHOUT THE DAY. ITS 5 BUCKS :)

Hey Billie Jean...if i were u i would look into sublative rejuvenation for ur acne scars..this is not a laser but uses radiofreqeucny so there is alot less risk to the skin than Fraxel repair..sublative rejuvation can also be used unlimited times since it does not wound the skin...it can even have better results than the fraxel treatments because it works better underneath the skin to produce collagen growth..subcision is another good treatment that u should look into..

http://www.syneron.com/sites/syneron.com/f...x_ABG_09_10.pdf

Thought I'd bump this with a couple of pictures.

Not much has happend apart from the red marks gradually fading. Unfortunantely I also get new ones from time to time which you can see on the pics.

I've lost weight since the original post and that in combination with shadows make my cheeks look very hollow. The pictures do exaggerate a bit though.

As always I'm very grateful for any suggestions on how to improve my skin.

post-67366-1303847160_thumb.jpg

post-67366-1303847172_thumb.jpg

post-67366-1303847160_thumb.jpg

post-67366-1303847172_thumb.jpg

Keep dermarolling if you have one. Like once a week maybe every other week sometimes. Those scars aren't going away by themselves or by doing peels. I hope you never tried fraxel it sucks and very expensive. I had like 5 or 6 fraxel treatments a long time ago and didn't do shit but months of downtime. Superficial stuff won't work like peels n stuff. Dermaroll to slowly start stimulating your dermis. Later you can think about subcision on some. Good luck.

You have rolling scars. Subcision and fillers would be your best bet. With the right doctor, your scars could be unnoticeable afterwards. I don't think dermarolling does much for rolling scars because the scar is deeply bound down. Subcision is a surgical treatment that releases the dermis from the tissue beneath so that the scar is not bound down. Dermarolling works best for boxcar scars.

You have rolling scars. Subcision and fillers would be your best bet. With the right doctor, your scars could be unnoticeable afterwards. I don't think dermarolling does much for rolling scars because the scar is deeply bound down. Subcision is a surgical treatment that releases the dermis from the tissue beneath so that the scar is not bound down. Dermarolling works best for boxcar scars.

Thanks for your reply, and the same goes for Ciro.

I've been thinking about Subcision and will look into it more after this.

Persistent red marks have always been a big issue for me. My red marks have improved a lot with alpha hydroxy acid and lactic acid. The lactic acid comes from just regular milk that I drink every day. I apply the milk with a cotton pad all over my face. The lactic acid dries you out a little, but it's nothing to worry about. The red marks on your face are just clusters of dead skin on your face which is why manual exfoliation (with a baby brush) and chemical exfoliation (with glycolic, alpha hydroxy, and lactic acids) help fade the marks. Lactic acid eats away at the dead skin on your epidermis and makes your complexion noticeably brighter. I've seen really great results with it. Also, I took Accutane for 6 months and I was shedding skin the whole time I was on it. That probably helped with the red marks, too, since it was like exfoliation in over-drive.