Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Billie Jean

Post accutane - What should I do?

About a month ago I got off a five month long accutane treatment and the result is far from good. I don't get any pimples or anything anymore but that doesn't do me much good since my face still looks like shite due to red marks and some scarring.

I currently use Skinoren two times a day but the results have been limited so far.

I'm thinking of buying Neutrogena acne mark fading peel and/or Vita-K's acne scar treatment (recommended in a thread here). Do you guys think it could help me or can you suggest something else?

I would love to do a laser procedure or something like it but I'll have to wait a year for that before my skin is ready for it after my previous accutane treatment. I can't stand looking like this anymore. My self-esteem has hit rock bottom and my social life is suffering severely from this. I hate having to put on concealing make-up every time I do something outside of my home.

My dermatologist said that the marks would fade in time and that some marks would disappear as I get a tan. A tan is out of the question since I live in the godforsaken part of the world called Scandinavia.

You have two pictures here so you can judge by yourselves. You should note that I have absolutely no tan at the moment and that the camera flash seem to highlight the red marks. The scars on the second picture aren't as bad as they look. My dermatologist said that the redness makes the scars look bigger and worse than they really are. I still hate it though so please help me with whatever you can think of.

All replies are greatly appreciated!

post-67366-1207705324_thumb.jpg

post-67366-1207705333_thumb.jpg

post-67366-1207705324_thumb.jpg

post-67366-1207705333_thumb.jpg

For redmarks people around here, at least in the scar section, recommend trying V-Beam or IPL laser. I'm going to try V-Beam soon.

For redmarks people around here, at least in the scar section, recommend trying V-Beam or IPL laser. I'm going to try V-Beam soon.

I am still on Accutane right now, on my 5 of 6 month regimen, totally clear of acne. Now left with red marks, and I started using Bioskincare Cream. I think its working great. Big improvement every week that friends and family noticed(on my 3rd week this week)

I also use Aveeno Ultra Calming cleanser and RoC Moisturizer with Vitamin E(SPF 15).

I am still on Accutane right now, on my 5 of 6 month regimen, totally clear of acne. Now left with red marks, and I started using Bioskincare Cream. I think its working great. Big improvement every week that friends and family noticed(on my 3rd week this week)

I also use Aveeno Ultra Calming cleanser and RoC Moisturizer with Vitamin E(SPF 15).

Vita-K gave me a bunch of small breakouts, and the Vitamin E lotions I've used burn my skin.

Red marks fade, they just take an interminable amount of time to do so. Mine last anywhere from 12 to 18 months each... I just have to hope that I won't get another horrible breakout while old hyperpigmentation is healing :<

Oddly enough, the pacific ocean makes my skin completely freak out; climate has a lot to do with the rate your skin will recover.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend tanning even if you could. The eventual results look far worse than a bit of acne. Besides, your red marks actually don't look bad at all -- perhaps you could try using a bit of powder to cover them?

Vita-K gave me a bunch of small breakouts, and the Vitamin E lotions I've used burn my skin.

Red marks fade, they just take an interminable amount of time to do so. Mine last anywhere from 12 to 18 months each... I just have to hope that I won't get another horrible breakout while old hyperpigmentation is healing :<

Oddly enough, the pacific ocean makes my skin completely freak out; climate has a lot to do with the rate your skin will recover.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend tanning even if you could. The eventual results look far worse than a bit of acne. Besides, your red marks actually don't look bad at all -- perhaps you could try using a bit of powder to cover them?

It's now been six months since I started this thread and I can't see any improvement at all.

I have used Neutrogena acne mark fading peel and Vita-K's acne scar treatment but it obviously didn't do anything. Skinoren and finacea doesn't do jack either and neither does the bleaching cream I got off eBay. ACV didn't work. The same goes for lemon juice.

What the hell should I do? I can't take this anymore.

Any ideas are appreciated as always.

You need to STOP THE FUCKING THINGS YOU ARE DOING. When you get off accutane, all you should be using is a mild dove soap or soft, easy soap. You skin is hyper-irritated. I mean, wow. What the fuck are you thinking trying all these skin-peeling products. You didn't tell your doctor that you are doing this, did you. Probably not. Just get the fuck off these products for a few MONTHS. Jesus Christ. People want to see clear skin, instantly the day they get off accutane.

You might have a bad reaction, but I doubt it. I mean, you are destroying your face with these chemicals and stuff. Use your head kid. Get off all that stuff. Now.

I sort of agree with the above post. Perhaps you should try something made with natural ingredients. I have tons of red marks as well but I didn't take Accutane. I use a product called Bee Yummy Skin Food that contains honey, propolis, bee pollen, royal jelly, st. john's wort, and water. So far, it's made a really big difference. They also have a face lift mask from the same company and after using it just a day my marks seem a lot lighter. I understand your frustration but it's probably best if you refrain from using products with a lot of harsh chemicals.

You need to STOP THE FUCKING THINGS YOU ARE DOING. When you get off accutane, all you should be using is a mild dove soap or soft, easy soap. You skin is hyper-irritated. I mean, wow. What the fuck are you thinking trying all these skin-peeling products. You didn't tell your doctor that you are doing this, did you. Probably not. Just get the fuck off these products for a few MONTHS. Jesus Christ. People want to see clear skin, instantly the day they get off accutane.

You might have a bad reaction, but I doubt it. I mean, you are destroying your face with these chemicals and stuff. Use your head kid. Get off all that stuff. Now.

I specifically asked my doctor if there were any products that I should stay away from and if it was ok to use peeling creams. She said yes but she doubted that it would work. If she says it's ok, of course I will try it.

Of course people want to see clear skin after going through five months of hell with those pills.

Thanks for your advice. I will stay off everything for a while now and see how it works out.

Makeitmakesense// What kind of red marks did/do you have? Can you compare them to mine?

Thanks for the advice.

iin the past ive had marks that havnt changed for 10 months then over the course of a few days they just disappear, its weird and i cant explain it but it just somtimes happens like that

I heard that organic apple cidar vinegar will help get rid or you redmark blemishes. I just began using this and I believe that its working. Not only will it help get rid of the marks but it will improve your overall skin health

I heard that organic apple cidar vinegar will help get rid or you redmark blemishes. I just began using this and I believe that its working. Not only will it help get rid of the marks but it will improve your overall skin health

Thanks but I already tried that and it didn't work out for me.

ACV never worked for me either. In fact nothing has. Only ridiculous amounts of time. I may get some small amount of fading after a month or 2 but nothing drastic so I can understand why people say it could take several months for small marks and even years for larger deeper marks to completely fade away!

In a nutshell it takes the right piss and makes acne seem like a walk in the park! It's almost like a very mild version of a prison sentence lol

Another two months have (almost) passed and during this period I haven't used anything on my face except the occasional moisturizer when needed. I still can't see any change in my scarring or redness.

What do you guys think I should do? Right now my plans are to go to Thailand in February to get Fraxel treatment. Do you think that would help me?

I highly recomend Nicomide. It's prescription only and not an overnight cure, but I think it's helped a lot with my red marks. It's basicly a vitamin and with insurance the generic only cost me ten dollars for a month's supply. I also recomend MD Skincare Alpha Beta Daily Peel. It's not too harsh as long as you're using a gentel clenser and a good moisturizer. I still have red marks but as I am curranly on Accutane, there isn't much else I can do at the moment. Good luck and I hope this was helpful!

I highly recomend Nicomide. It's prescription only and not an overnight cure, but I think it's helped a lot with my red marks. It's basicly a vitamin and with insurance the generic only cost me ten dollars for a month's supply. I also recomend MD Skincare Alpha Beta Daily Peel. It's not too harsh as long as you're using a gentel clenser and a good moisturizer. I still have red marks but as I am curranly on Accutane, there isn't much else I can do at the moment. Good luck and I hope this was helpful!

Nicomide sounds interesting but it isn't available in my country. :( Thanks though.

I think I will wait with the peels a bit and let my skin rest some more. But if I do start I will consider MD Skincare. Thanks again.

Okey, ten months have passed since I stopped eating accutane and this is how I look. The photos are taken in different lighting and some are taken with flash and some without.

For the last three months I haven't used anything ony my face. A week ago or so I tried a scar removing gel called Contrakel but I stopped using it since it caused a minor break-out.

Any tips and suggestions?

post-67366-1230853876_thumb.jpg

post-67366-1230853882_thumb.jpg

post-67366-1230853887_thumb.jpg

post-67366-1230853893_thumb.jpg

post-67366-1230853897_thumb.jpg

post-67366-1230853876_thumb.jpg

post-67366-1230853882_thumb.jpg

post-67366-1230853887_thumb.jpg

post-67366-1230853893_thumb.jpg

post-67366-1230853897_thumb.jpg

I'd really reccommend a little bit of sun or a tanning salon. Just make sure you are not using any harsh topicals that might make your skin more sensitive to burning, like SA.

I used to have very similar marks/scars to yours, and mine have faded considerably since getting some sun exposure. Do NOT overdo it-- start by doing 5 minutes, wait a couple days, try 7 minutes, wait a couple days, then maybe try ten. It is good for your skin to get some sun, but nowadays so many people overdo it, which can cause pre-mature aging or skin cancer.

Right now, I tan twice a week, ten minutes per session, and my skin looks fabulous.

Also, keep in mind that there is no short, immediate-term solution to getting rid of red marks-- just have to wait them out. If you sit here and keep trying different products, you will likely make things worse. I'd settle on accepting it will take you some more months to be clear, whereas looking for a quick fix might make it take years.

I'd really reccommend a little bit of sun or a tanning salon. Just make sure you are not using any harsh topicals that might make your skin more sensitive to burning, like SA.

I used to have very similar marks/scars to yours, and mine have faded considerably since getting some sun exposure. Do NOT overdo it-- start by doing 5 minutes, wait a couple days, try 7 minutes, wait a couple days, then maybe try ten. It is good for your skin to get some sun, but nowadays so many people overdo it, which can cause pre-mature aging or skin cancer.

Right now, I tan twice a week, ten minutes per session, and my skin looks fabulous.

Also, keep in mind that there is no short, immediate-term solution to getting rid of red marks-- just have to wait them out. If you sit here and keep trying different products, you will likely make things worse. I'd settle on accepting it will take you some more months to be clear, whereas looking for a quick fix might make it take years.

What is SA?

I spent a couple of weeks in a very sunny country some months ago and it sure did make my skin look better but as we can see now, when the tan has faded, the results weren't permanent. From what I've read on this board tanning just makes the red marks worse in the long run.

I am very careful about what products I use. That's why I only tried one thing in the last three months. I don't want to irritate my skin and put "pressure" on it. In a few weeks I have an apointment with my dermatologist and hopefully she can help me come up with something that might work for me i.e Fraxel.

It's hard to accept that it will take more time especially when I've already waited for a year and a half to get a decent looking face.

To be honest, your red marks don't look that bad at least compared to mine :P. Maybe its the small scars that are making it worse. For me, I've been battling red marks/dark spots whatever you wanna call it for a year and nothing has worked for me either. I've tried peels and most of the things that were mentioned on this thread. I think it was because I was trying too many things at once while still getting acne. Now that my acne has subsided dramatically from a year ago, I started concentrating on my red marks. So far I've been using Glycolic Acid Lotion and I can tell its working, i've been using it for a short while but I can see the difference. Also, I don't know if you saw the turmeric thread here but it sounds promising. I'm going to try that later on tonight in conjunction with my Glycolic Acid Lotion. Oh, and SA is Salicylic Acid.

To be honest, your red marks don't look that bad at least compared to mine :P. Maybe its the small scars that are making it worse. For me, I've been battling red marks/dark spots whatever you wanna call it for a year and nothing has worked for me either. I've tried peels and most of the things that were mentioned on this thread. I think it was because I was trying too many things at once while still getting acne. Now that my acne has subsided dramatically from a year ago, I started concentrating on my red marks. So far I've been using Glycolic Acid Lotion and I can tell its working, i've been using it for a short while but I can see the difference. Also, I don't know if you saw the turmeric thread here but it sounds promising. I'm going to try that later on tonight in conjunction with my Glycolic Acid Lotion. Oh, and SA is Salicylic Acid.

I'm sure there are worse cases than mine but it's still a huge problem for me. I work as a teacher and when you have a student asking "what happened to your face?" even though your using a concealer you know that something's not right.

I believe that there is salicylic acid in Finacea/Skinoren and that does not seem to work for me.

Thanks for your input.

By the way, does anyone know what my scars are called? Ice-picks?